funny fuel figures

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue boy

Reaction score
just did a 1300km trip from the Gold Coast to Injune and back.

came up with these figures.

Gold Coast-Roma.
fuel from BP Coomera, Gold Coast. (Caltex 127.9c lt)
485km for 56.46lt @ 129.9c =8.56km per ltr (11.68lt/100km)

Compared to

Roma-Gold Coast.
fuel from Caltex, Roma. (BP 131.9c lt)
510km for 68.04lt @ 128.9c=7.49km per ltr (13.35lt/100km)

this was the figures for an 08 st-x, diesel, manuel with 265/75/16 tyres and carying about 550kg. 99.9% of driving was done at 100km ( 2000rpm).

just goes to show that sometimes you get better value for money if you spend a little bit extra on fuel rather than going for the cheapest price per litre.

any body know why there's such a big difference in fuel economy?
they must put some sort of filler in the diesel

Hi Blue Boy, maybe I am missing something here but from the figures you have posted it would appear that you have the better fuel consumption from the cheaper of the two. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers John

thats why i have put a comparison price there.
i should be more clear....Gold Coast is East coast= cheaper fuel prices.
Roma is central QLD= expensive prices.

i've always just gone for the cheapest, but not any more.
also gotta think what additives are been added to the less economical of the 2.

take miles for instance there was 11c / ltr difference for diesel in the only 2 fuel stations. the cheaper was a freedom by memory. Gets you thinking....i'm pressuming same freight for both. In a 2 horse town and with that much difference i would be abit suss o the cheaper of the 2.

Caltex admit that they're putting biodiesel into their fuel. The amount varies from 2% to 5% and the legislation doesn't say that they HAVE to tell you about it.

BP Australia on the other hand don't admit to using any biodiesel at all.

Biodiesel has a lower calorific value than dinosaur - basically this means that per volume, biodiesel generates less energy than fossil-fuel diesel. It's not a lot less, but it could be enough.

There are other differences to consider too. We always use more fuel heading inland than we do coming back - because we're climbing more going up onto the plateau. Diesels also like cooler air.

These may only impact a small percentage - but in the end it all adds up.

There is little chance of ever getting the exact same fuel figures for 2 identical trips because there is so many changing factors. You can blame fuel and who it's brought from more likely though is the right foot and like 08KC suggests winds that make a difference, as well as the direction of hills, traffic or lack of traffic. Even if you took the figures on two trips in the same direction you'll get different figures, whether they are as different as your two trips who knows but they will be different.

Latest posts

Back