Would you do it again ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montana

Reaction score
Im at the stage of the lease with my D40 where I am going to get another vehicle, after 5 years and over 200,000km Im happy with how its lasted.I looked at a few of other makes but nothing impressed me,the only other choice for me is a GU. The question is would you buy another D40 ??? Apart from the usual dealer service rip off why not.

I just sold my D40 and bought a new GU.

They are different cars, almost chalk and cheese.

The GU (diesel) has absolutely no top end power, whereas the D40 has miles of it.

The GU really does feel like a 4wd, it body rolls, the engine is noisy, its thirsty.

I love it though. I got an auto, it tows my 2 tonne boat beautifully and is far more pleasurable in stop start traffic than my manual D40 was.

Stocks of the GU are an issue at the moment too, I had a fair bit of trouble finding one.

It really depends what you do with it, you say you're happy with your current one and that you haven't found many others suitable that pretty much answers most of your question as far as I'm concerned.

The GU will be different and as such will have people who tell you it's better and people who tell you it's worse, no make or model is immune from that but until you try out the GU under similar conditions to what you know your current set up does you can't really compare.

I'll keep my current D40 for around another year. Then I am going to get a 550!! I'll just swap the accessories over to the new one.

My mate (who runs a 4WD training business) did the SA leg of Nissan Australia's 4WD training for their staff in May. He not only got to drive the 550 but 'thrashed' it over some 4WD tracks. He's in love with it! Apart from all that torque the traction control eliminates the need for diff locks when you're on the tough tracks - so he reports.

I would keep the D40 unless you really couldn't get anywhere in it that you would in the Patrol (which isn't many places)

I'd go a 550 as well, if I had to replace Veronica.

For all the hype and ANCAP ratings I couldn't bring myself to buy a Mishitibus. There's no way on this planet I'd ever own a Ford unless it was a 2-door XB/XC or a GT40. I won't touch a Holden Colorado since they're supposed to be finishing that product line and leaving it to the Isuzu D-Max which I hear is a good off-road vehicle but is supposed to be very spartan inside.

I won't touch Volkswagen. Never, ever. If the last vehicle on earth was a VW I'd learn to roller blade. What other choices are there ...

Ssangyong ... should be in the same scrap metal bin as Great Wall and Mahindra. Bleah, and all that. Passed a Ssangyong tonight on the way home and they'd spent a lot of effort giving it sporty lines, which means they can't have spent much making it viable off-road.

No sir, it's another Nissan for me.

I'd go a 550 as well, if I had to replace Veronica.

For all the hype and ANCAP ratings I couldn't bring myself to buy a Mishitibus. There's no way on this planet I'd ever own a Ford unless it was a 2-door XB/XC or a GT40. I won't touch a Holden Colorado since they're supposed to be finishing that product line and leaving it to the Isuzu D-Max which I hear is a good off-road vehicle but is supposed to be very spartan inside.

I won't touch Volkswagen. Never, ever. If the last vehicle on earth was a VW I'd learn to roller blade. What other choices are there ...

Ssangyong ... should be in the same scrap metal bin as Great Wall and Mahindra. Bleah, and all that. Passed a Ssangyong tonight on the way home and they'd spent a lot of effort giving it sporty lines, which means they can't have spent much making it viable off-road.

No sir, it's another Nissan for me.

I could not have put it better - apart from a small comment on the D-Max it is a shame it is no good on the inside as it is a great 4WD ute otherwise.

I just sold my D40 and bought a new GU.

They are different cars, almost chalk and cheese.

The GU (diesel) has absolutely no top end power, whereas the D40 has miles of it.

The GU really does feel like a 4wd, it body rolls, the engine is noisy, its thirsty.

I love it though. I got an auto, it tows my 2 tonne boat beautifully and is far more pleasurable in stop start traffic than my manual D40 was.

Stocks of the GU are an issue at the moment too, I had a fair bit of trouble finding one.

What goes better off road?

How much more thirstier is it compared to the D40?

Cheers

After only 16000km's in my D40 i am pretty sure i would never buy another one! I've never had anything to do with the GU so can't comment on that. Some of the comments are interesting/very one eyed, but thats how some people are with there cars i guess. Its especially interesting the comment about never buying a VW Amarok, they are only recently released so it would be hard to pass judgement on them yet. Going by the specs they appear to be along way ahead of some other choices and the interior is alot nicer than any other 4x4 although the pricing is a little steep but you do get some good things with them.

After only 16000km's in my D40 i am pretty sure i would never buy another one! I've never had anything to do with the GU so can't comment on that. Some of the comments are interesting/very one eyed, but thats how some people are with there cars i guess. Its especially interesting the comment about never buying a VW Amarok, they are only recently released so it would be hard to pass judgement on them yet. Going by the specs they appear to be along way ahead of some other choices and the interior is alot nicer than any other 4x4 although the pricing is a little steep but you do get some good things with them.

Why would you never buy another D40?

Why would you never buy another D40?

cabin rattles
suspension sqeaking
non existent "wet grip" tyres
the amount of dust i get in the car
the way the rear end bounces around unloaded
massive turning circle
lack of anything under 2000rpm
peakiness of power delivery
(gearing of the car)can't go around a corner in 3rd gear and accelerate and going back to second near locks the rear up
1st gear is to long to be short and to short to be long
water jets for wipers are terrible, should be a spray not a jet
amount of black smoke it blows
bluetooth is impossible to figure out and hardly ever works
terrible lights, high and low beam
lots of brake dust

some things may seem trivial but they all add up.

Wow thats a good list I must have got the dud model because the only one I can come close to relating to is the large turning circle but given it's a 5 meter vehicle I don't expect it to tune on a 5 cent piece.

I do have an auto but I don't have smoke very limited brake dust, the headlights are so so but that's why god invented driving lights, the wiper jet squirt a spray, I don't have a problem gripping on wet grass or wet roads and my suspension doesn't squeak any more or less than the old man's crewman and only ever when empty which is rare.

I understand they all add up.

It is interesting as I have only have a few of them

-1st gear is to long to be short and to short to be long
-massive turning circle - nissans in general
all the rest are fine, 3rd gear is great for slow corners and the rear end bounce I don't have it too badly and really that is utes in general.

All the rest is brilliant, but maybe that's the mods I have, I figure every can has it's downsides.

Hilux- no features, not a homey interior, uncomfortable seats (need comfy seat covers)
Triton - cr@p look
D-max/colorado - if you just nudge (1-2mm indent) the sump it will cut the oil inlet to the engine and you can have 20k damage in an instant (quote from a Holden service manager who drives a landcuriser)

but that's only a few of the issues, but every car has them, it is just what suits you.

Out of interest what would you get?

You need to remember i'm talking from factory without mods so you cant really say "driving light" or similar as they did not build them with those things and every car on the market could be improved using after market equipment.

I'm going to go and drive an Amarok soon but if it doesn't "wow" me i will hang onto the Navara for a while and see what the T6 Ranger is like when it gets released.
I could put up with the little things and modify to suit but i'm really after something that is more car like to drive but can handle some light offroad if needed. I would go back to a ford ute or similar as my daily "work ute" but i want/need a dual cab. I have a 450rwhp commodore for a real car but i don't get it out much so i have to like what i use to drive around 99% of the time.

I agree about the other utes you listed and would not really consider any of them either.

Last edited:
cabin rattles
suspension sqeaking
non existent "wet grip" tyres
the amount of dust i get in the car
the way the rear end bounces around unloaded
massive turning circle
lack of anything under 2000rpm
peakiness of power delivery
(gearing of the car)can't go around a corner in 3rd gear and accelerate and going back to second near locks the rear up
1st gear is to long to be short and to short to be long
water jets for wipers are terrible, should be a spray not a jet
amount of black smoke it blows
bluetooth is impossible to figure out and hardly ever works
terrible lights, high and low beam
lots of brake dust
some things may seem trivial but they all add up.

i think i said this in your post about the amount of dust you get in the cab..... SELL IT DUDE SELL IT!! you hate the thing so much SELL IT or do you just like to nit pick the list of stuff you have complained about certainly does "seem trivial" but you seem to be the only one "adding them up" i have 2010 ST and could not disagree with you more about all of your qualms.

i have had a 5lt au falcon ute and that thing was a shit box i had the gear box, motor, steering rack, exhaust, window assembly, horn assembly,and plastic moulds replaced in the first 40,000km
i have owned a lot of utes in my 20yrs of driving from bravos to rodeo's, falcons, hz 1 toners, and the last two have been nissans (d22 3lt "06" and now the d40) and every ute has been bouncy in the back when unloaded and they all struggle for grip in the wet when unloaded especially with shit tyeres that all manufactures put on new cars.
the gear box is a 6 speed and you still cant pick a gear with 400nm of torque what a laugh even my wife doesnt have trouble with the box.
the wipers wtf are you on.
bluetooth works every time i get in it and compared to others i think it works great i can be on the h/way at 120km with three ladders on the roof and people can hear me just fine.
my d40 doesnt seem to blow anymore black smoke than any other DIESEL.
do i really need to go on.......
like i said SELL IT just SELL IT... i would love to hear what you get next and what you can find wrong with it.
can i just say i love the bit when you say "i would like my 4wd to be more car like", how much more car like can you get with independent front end??? have you driven a old solid axle front end ute then i might understand what you mean but in saying that i would love a solid axle d40.
any way i will stop my rant here i think even though i have been given so much ammo i could go on for days.:rant::dizzy:

Nut Shack I agree with you on a few of your dislikes,
Rattley interior.
Way to much brake dust.
Lack of power under 2000 rpm.
The rest I don't find a problem, but each to their own.

Back to topic-
My Dad has an 09 Patrol 100% stock that I've done a heap of driving and towing a boat in, they are a good vehicle but as Matt said they are a big 4wd,
Whilst being a lot more comfortable there is nowhere near the room whilst driving, it's like the seat needs to go back a lot further than allowed, saying that I'm a big fella and it might not effect you so much.
Never taken it off road so I can't comment there.
I can say towing the big boat around my D40 shits on the Patrol when it comes to the hills.

hahahaha:hahaha: krafty i do strongly suggest he sell it before he gives himself an ulcer from worry about all his massive problems he has.

Agreed and he can use the funds to buy a new Anorak (or whatever they have decided to call it) :wink:

Latest posts

Back