d22 2.5L STR lack off power on take off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not so
foot on clutch keep rmoving
select neutral(main gbox),CAREFULLY disengage 4wdlo into 4wd hi into 2wd (you may need to tickle revs)
select 2nd gear release clutch and keep going
ihave performed this several times with camper trailer on
i was changing up to 3rd low before going back to 2wd 2nd

just another bonus in having 2 sticks and manual hubs:ha:

For those that want to try this trick, know this: Sparra is a highly experienced off-road driver.

Maybe the stig found a new daytime alter ego?

While he might have the physique for it, I doubt he'd be caught dead in white tights. Oh that's leather? Probably even worse, especially after a couple of brewskis and needin' to drain the snake in a hurry. :chainsaw:

Let's say that I have a LOT of respect for his off-road skills, and how he treats other drivers - particularly those who are learning 4WD skills.

My 2.5 has a trailer on the back 6 days a week. It weighs in about 700kg and I really have no problems with taking off on hills and that's running 32's. little bit of revs and slight ride of the clutch and I'm off. The d22's will cope with a bit of slip of the clutch unlike pretty much every other ute on the market.

Yeh it certainly isn't fast and I bought it knowing that but I love it, I wouldn't change it for anything.

-Tyler

I'm in the same boat as Tyler,
Always towing 700 - 800kg.
Sometimes it does die on steep slopes but if you prepare by dropping a gear and a little right foot, you'll be right.
Being a single mass flywheel, it will take quite a bit of slip.

I love the Nav.

not so
foot on clutch keep rmoving
select neutral(main gbox),CAREFULLY disengage 4wdlo into 4wd hi into 2wd (you may need to tickle revs)
select 2nd gear release clutch and keep going
ihave performed this several times with camper trailer on
i was changing up to 3rd low before going back to 2wd 2nd

just another bonus in having 2 sticks and manual hubs:ha:

I have tried this many a time without success, I use to do it in my old ute all the time but can't get out of 4l without a fair bit of grinding no matter what i try. shits me a bit lol. maybe i just need to flog it out a bit :p

yeah I know but it just dont work with mine i can change up and down all gears clutchless but can't shift out of l4 without crunchies

d22 chip

Tom - I have heard that d22's come out with varying performance. My friends car was bought at the same time as mine (2011) - it is vastly inferior to mine at lower revs and in general power. We both bought fuel pressure chips at a very reasonable cost. It made a remarkable difference to his and made more difference to my car which as I said was ahead of his from the beginning .
can give you details of the chip - [email protected]

Hi All

My name is Tom I am new to this forum

Been reading this forum for a while looks like a very good forum

I wonder
If anybody has the same issue with the new Nissan navara d22 2.5L STR 2011 TD model
Please not the 3L or D40 I need to know about above model.
Only done about 6000 KM so far
I really liked the car until I went to take off on a reasonable hill like say a boat ramp
A car park ramp or steep hill in the city .the car stalled just no power had to put in low range 4wd drive to get up this cant be right, did it 3 times I mean if is raining & you are stopped on a hill what ever get out lock the hubs etc 4wd drive & you can do more than 50 Km in low range get to the top then back into 2WD.
So Please I would like to hear from anybody else having the same kind of issue?
I was told to rev the crap out of it to take off I wont do that never in my life did I have to do that. This is my 4th 4wd 3rd diesel I am so disappoint as this is the first brand new car I ever bought In 40 years which I got after my father died to carry my mother & wheel chair around it seemed ideal low to the ground. Before I got this one I was looking at a second hand hilux,I am so disappointed as everything else on the navara is good.

Hope somebody else has this problem or not as I am going to have the first service in march

Thank you in advance Tomski

Exactly!

I thought I was the only one. You describe the problem that my 2012 D22 has to perfect detail. Going up hills triggers it. So does bringing the revs up to 4900 for > 4 minutes in neutral. Ive had it in to the dealer every month for the past 6 months. They think I am just making it up. There aren't any big hills around where I live so they could never see the prolem, and the computer is not reporting any errors. Its in there now, and they are saying the same BS they say each time (weve done all we can...) and that they have lodged a technical support request to nissan. Did you end up finding out how to fix it? Im leading toward dumping it in the F*&king ocean at this point.

I thought I was the only one. You describe the problem that my 2012 D22 has to perfect detail. Going up hills triggers it. So does bringing the revs up to 4900 for > 4 minutes in neutral. Ive had it in to the dealer every month for the past 6 months. They think I am just making it up. There aren't any big hills around where I live so they could never see the prolem, and the computer is not reporting any errors. Its in there now, and they are saying the same BS they say each time (weve done all we can...) and that they have lodged a technical support request to nissan. Did you end up finding out how to fix it? Im leading toward dumping it in the F*&king ocean at this point.
Why do you redline for 4 mins in neutral? that won't achieve anything other than bringing the ocean closer.:thumpdown:

I was gonna say who revs a diesel motor that high for the long or even at all. Mine gets a max of 3000rpm at anytime.

4900rpm in a diesel is excessively high. Sure the engine can get that high, but it's running up near the limit - diesel takes a certain amount of time to burn, so if it's revving so fast that the piston is coming up again when the fuel hasn't finished burning it's going to be sluggish and inefficient.

Your HP and torque curves will be heading back downwards over 4,000rpm anyway - you're getting revs but you'd be losing power and torque.

I know this is an old thread but the symptoms described are exactly what I have. Those is my 2nd d22 2.5

The first one was great. This one is a disgrace to drive

May be worth noting my first was a 2011 str, currently 09 dx 4x4

Yup! I can't believe there can be so much difference between two 2.5L D22's - My last one was a 2010 STR & it was OK power wise, current one a 2013 STR & they're noticeably different. Current one is quicker & better fuel economy. Going to keep this one, as there's not a Ute on the planet that I'd pay what they're asking for the new ones.

Yeah sounds like over gone the other way around. I think the term you use is "nugget" I'm just worried to chip it, regarding timing chain breaking...

yes it has been advised not to chip the d-22 / 2.5 cr as it can cause premature timing chain failure. a good exhaust system should help gain extra torque etc and keep things safe.

That's what I'm gathering from most people. But I can't understand how there is such a difference between two identical cars

no two engines are the same plus if both have the same k,s on the clock and one has been thrashed and the other treated well i would say the better engine would be the one that has been treated better or the one with lower k,s on the clock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back