Chris's D21 thingo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey a Chris,

I think the more fun pictures will come when you remove the diff pumpkin and find all the broken parts :)
Looking forward to that.

Thinking back, i have one diff pumpkin in pieces, one complete welded diff and one standard LSD one @ home. So we have options for fixing it.

Hey a Chris,

"I think the more fun pictures will come when you
remove the diff pumpkin and find all the broken parts :)"

:confused3: Haa-haa-haa-haa-haa !!!! :confused3:

"Looking forward to that." Sadist.

"Thinking back, i have one diff pumpkin in pieces, one
complete welded diff and one standard LSD one @ home.
So we have options for fixing it."

VERY Cool... :nurse:

Cheers for that. :cheers!: I would like to get it on (off?) the road again soon...

Are "metal bits in oil" a bit like "smoke from electronics"??? Even if you capture it all, you can't put it back in to get it working again??

Are "metal bits in oil" a bit like "smoke from electronics"??? Even if you capture it all, you can't put it back in to get it working again??

you could collect them all up, then try and weld them back to whatever they came from....might need to be a verry skilled welder tho!

Found some bits... Looks like I knocked my own teeth out!

Thanks to Michael for the tapered spanner (so I could finally remove the brake lines) and I ripped the diff out.

Oooo - It looks ok. Hang on. There's an extra blob????

Extra_Lump_-_Small.jpg

Hmmm.

Looking further inside -

Looks_a_bit_dodgy_in_there_-_Small.jpg

Oh.

Pulled it apart a little more and realised where the metal had come from -

Wot_-_No_teef_-_Small.jpg

Oh.

Still, I'm gonna make a fortune from the tooth fairy!!

Ha!

I like to do the unexpected...

My mechanic suggested I get a Patrol rear axle shortened and use that.
He said he hadn't seen it done, but there were places that would do it.
His reasoning is that "If you have already broken one, you are likely to break another one" and the Patrol rear end is pretty bulletproof.

Yeah, i can understand his want to upgrade but your still running the basically identical h233B rear end setup and spending a truck load of money to do it.

you might be better off just replacing it with another unit that's easily accessible to replace.
there is the possible argument that because its over-shimmed, that's causing the excess pressure on those teeth and helped cause it to break + obviously jumping the car does not help ;)

if you pull those teeth out, there is a washer thing under there, if i recall correctly one side will have two....i'm going to guess the broken side is the two side.

the welded diff i have does not use any of this, as its one big piece of metal, maybe we can put that in and go jumping and see what happens ;)

WELDED! Maybe if I was off-road LOTS more than on-road...

Yep - You are spot-on, I think.
Didn't notice 2 shims on either side, but I wasn't looking for them.
If you are up for it, I'd like to get all of its bits back where they should be ASAP.
Thanks for all of your valuable advice and assistance!!

Why NINE????

OK, I have been looking at a new pumpkin to replace mine.

Can't come from a D21, mine has a banjo axle.
Must be LSD.
Must have NINE BOLTS to bolt it into the axle -

IMG_8277_small.jpg

I have been offered 10-bolt fitting, but no-one seems to know anything about 9-bolt fitting...

Anyone got any ideas??

Woooo - hooooo

Not a whole heap to say right now apart from THANKS TO Unkn0wn (Christian) for sorting me out with 2 1/2 pumpkins to select bits from.
Ron White in Mandurah is going to be presented with all of these parts (plus my wrecked bits), so I can have a working truck ASAP!!!

(For those that are interested - It is a banjo-style axle with a 9-bolt H233B 3.6:1 LSD from the front of a Patrol bolted into the middle.)

Doing stuff while I get my diff back together...

I have never liked the puny air filter the D21 has. Having seen Christian's D22 and its Toyota air box, I thought - "I want one of them!".

This is a shot before I started:

01_-_Before_1_-_Small.jpg

So I pulled the old box out and this is the first "Trial Fit", with new hole in the inner wing. I will mig a plate into the old hole once everything is finished -

09_-_After_3_-_Small.jpg

Few bits to do yet - mainly create strong mounts, relocate the water trap to the other side and plumb everything in. Then it can come out, degreased/rubbed down/epoxy coated and get reinstalled.

Bigger box + bigger filter = Better breathing = more power!
(That's the plan, anyway)

:redcool::driver:

H-e-l-p-!

Help_button.png

I need some help...

OK, I am looking for a Dif for my Nav.
Needs to be:

a) H233b
b) 9-hole fitting into axle, banjo-style.
c) LSD, not open.
d) 4.6:1 ratio

As far as I know, this is the LSD front Dif from a Patrol.

If you have one, let me know what you want for it.

Last edited:
Success!!!

Here is the wonderful "Christmas tale" of just what is possible when people come together...

I FOUND A DIFF!

OK, I didn't. My friend Craig did. A full axle. With LSD. Drum to drum for $100. Thanks heaps, Craig.
Quick trip to Bunbury and I had my axle.

"Plain sailing from here!" I thought. :redcool:
(I could hear laughter from the heavens, but I ignored that, thinking it was just the little voiced in my head again..)

Dropped the oil in the replacement diff and - NO METAL on the magnet.
Woo Hoo!

Pulled the old axle out and slipped the new one in.

Can't bleed the brakes - the nipples won't undo. soak-tap-twist- heat-soak-tap-twist-heat- You get the picture. Got both of them out and replaced with spares that hadn't been hit so much. Put anti-seize on the threads. Bled the brakes. Good pedal, but...

The brakes don't work. Completely worn out. That's ok - I'll make up a set from the two as mine has great shoes and drums.

Bugger - the brake mechanism is slightly are different. Scrounged about and found enough parts to make up a full set of brakes, as per the manual.

"Great stuff", I thought. Handbrake cable next.
Bugger - The handbrake mechanism is different. Adjusted a few things and it looked like it was all a go.

Went to attach the cable.
Bugger - The cable is too long!

I made up an adjuster that would safely remove 2" of handbrake cable without cutting anything. Great - I now have a handbrake.

All I gotta do is put the tail shaft on, bolt it up and test everything works as it should.

Lifted the tailshaft up and put a couple of loose bolts in the rear. Lifted up the front and....

BUGGER! The tailshaft is too short!!

Gap.jpg

The banjo axle with the H233B diff centre was just everso slightly longer than the standard axle, so the tailshaft was shorter.

SO - Here is where I was at.
It was the 23rd of December at about 18:30. We were expecting to go away on the 27th December in the Nav. The driveshaft didn't fit.
I was NOT a happy bunny....

Fortunately, the guy that sold me the axle said he would bring the tailshaft that went with the axle up to me on Christmas eve, about lunchtime, as he was driving to Perth.

SO - Went to bed, dreaming about tailshafts....

Last edited:
Christmas Eve...

The guy with the tailshaft didn't turn up.

He said he couldn't find it, but it was next to the wreck when we pulled the axle out.

PLUS - He didn't tell me he wasn't coming, so I wasted the whole of my "last shopping day before Christmas".

I sent a "woe is me" email to Christian and he told me that the FRONT driveshaft from a Patrol is the same as the REAR driveshaft in a Navara. It has a slip-joint, so it will replace the short one AND the long one!!

All I needed now was a FRONT driveshaft from a PATROL.

Asked my mate Craig again and he came up trumps!

He found:
  1. A Patrol Driveshaft,
  2. It was for sale,
  3. It was only $50,
  4. It was only in Jarrahdale,
  5. I could collect it on Christmas Day!!!!
(Thanks heaps Peter to you and your lovely wife)

So - I (again) went to bed, dreaming about tailshafts...

Last edited:
Boxing Day

Compared the driveshaft that was too short with the newly-purchased Patrol item:

Navara_rear_and_Patrol_Front.jpg

PERFECT.

Degreased it, cleaned out all its little nooks and crannies and re-packed with grease. Looks great.

10 mins later, it was fitted and I was out on the road testing that everything was ok and worked ok, which it did.

Packed the truck and prepared for our trip down-South.

Last edited:
Black Point & Lake Jasper

With the truck working a treat, we headed to Black Point.

This was the route -

Day_1.jpg

268 Kilometers and only got to bumpy bits the last hour. Pretty place. It is a volcanic lava flow into the ocean and the fishing is great.

This is what it looks like from the car park:

Black_Point.jpg

A quick walk down to the beach puts you right onto the lava flow:

Lava.jpg

... and onwards to the magnificent beach:

Beach.jpg

Having fun, now...

Black Point & Lake Jasper 2

We setup camp and explored.
The next day we spent at the beach.

The cliff & rock formations were amazing:

Cliffs.jpg

Then we went fishing - off the lava.

Some were a fair size:

Fish_1.png

And one represented the FIRST FISH EVER CAUGHT:

First_ever_fish.jpg

Later in the day, we set off for Lake Jasper:

Black_Point_to_LAke_Jasper.jpg

Life doesn't get much better than this...

To Lake Jasper!

There is a SUPERB (if not that tough in summer) 4wd track from Black Point to Lake Jasper -

Black_Point_to_Lake_Jasper.png

Splendid sand driving.

The lake itself is Verrrry pretty -

jasp_beach.jpg

Lake_Jasper.jpg

If you are going - NO powered boats. Also, there is NO drinking water, so bring your own.

After a great day at the lake, we made our way home:

Day_2.jpg

Notice the diversion around the fire???

Added another 90K's onto the trip, but who cares???

Latest posts

Back