Chris's D21 thingo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris the d21 is looking great, cant wait to see her off-road again!
Thanks for the part on the weekend, has fixed up my d22 nicely..no more tailshaft issues it seems! so im happy.

Woooooo Hooooooo

While putting the driveshafts back on, LOTS of slop was found in the output shaft on the front diff for the left wheel (the short one). Turned out to be wear in the socket of the diff centre and the bearing on the end couldn't cope any more.

I swapped the front diff over from the donor truck. Went in a treat and looked lovely. Hooked everything up and drove the truck around (in 2wd).

This is where I stumbled across a piece of information that could have resulted in DISASTER, had I not been told, sometime after the next time I threw the stubby lever into anything starting with a "4".

Christian came around for a look and casually asked if the new diff was the same ratio as the old one.

"Errr??" I said (or something equally as smart). "There are different ratios??"

The new diff was the wrong ratio.

SO: Off with the driveshafts and out with the diff. Christian was really great and worked with me into the darkness to get a working diff sorted. I learned all about crownwheels, pinions, shims and backlash.

Cutting a long (L-O-N-G) story short - we swapped the crownwheel onto the good diff centre and put that into the housing that had the matching pinion. Reassembled it all and put it back into the truck.

It went to Pedders on Tuesday last week for a wheel alignment and one of their "Tech Check and Report" thingies. I had one done before I started (VERY sad and prompted this front-end rebuild) and it came back with a clean bill of health!

One thing that is a worry - The new tailshaft centre bearing I put in is already damaged. The "bumpers" around the edge have been torn, but the suspension between the centre steel collar and the outer mount is intact. I replaced the old one because it was worn, not wrecked.

I currently have no idea if this is a defective bearing or something more sinister. I'll take a look at that (and research this fantastic forum for clues) when I get a mo.

Big thanks to Peter & Christian.

I might drive it a little bit before doing any more. It occurred to me over the past week that I have done less than 200k's in it since I bought it and I need to increase that number a bit.....:driver:

How'd ya go on Sunday mate? Hope all went well and you had some fun in that beast :crazy_pilot:

HA!!
Had a ball.

Tried to keep slow and gentle, but saw some crazy hills and had to give them a go. Sort-of forgot that I had thrown the spare wheel into the tub and hadn't tied/bolted/strapped it down (after all - I wasn't INTENDING to do anything serious).

Up the third hill, it got to bouncing and bounced higher then the roof of the ute. It was kind enough to bounce back into the tub and all was great.

Drove back to the bottom of the hill and had a look underneath.

I saw drips...

Lots of drips...

"Oh Crap" I thought.

I popped the bonnet and it was obvious what had happened.

The lid had come off the washer bottle. :jester:

All of the bits stayed in the right place and worked great.

Had a great time!!

New Tub!!

Thanks to CWOLF for his kind donation, I have a series 2 tub for my D21 that makes the rear wheel arches match the fronts. I did the trial fit this weekend (it's not filled or painted yet) but it looks kinda neat!

If you ignore the canopy, this is what it looked like BEFORE:

Before.jpg

And this is it with the new tub:

tub.jpg

I bought new lights from ebay and they will go in once the tub is painted.
Everything lines up and seems to work a treat.
The fuel filler lock needed some modification and the fuel filler pipe needed to be a bit longer, but apart from that, it went on without issue.

Getting there!

Lights!

One thing about buying lights from ebay - Some of them do not come with the metal brackets.

To bolt the lights in, there are two, 6mm, bolts inside the tub, on the rear posts. These screw into a threaded hole in a bracket that is screwed onto the plastic rear light assembly.

If you are replacing a broken light, keep the metal bracket from the broken lamp. If you don't have them (like me) then make sure that the replacement lights come with them.

I nearly got caught out with this....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - That is a brilliant shot!
Thanks to you all for keeping me moving - it was "a bit soft" for a 2WD Navara.

Not touched the hubs yet, been a busy time...

As part of the rebuild, I replaced the hubs with the ones from the donor vehicle. Nissan say that the 4WD system should be engaged "at least once per month" to keep it all working correctly. He told me that he had never gone off-road, so I assume he didn't ever use 4WD. Had I known this, maybe I would have made some different decisions.

I'll pull the hubs off (maybe tomorrow) and swap them over with the ones that came with the truck. Hopefully, I'll be able to see what has let go in the duff hub. The other one will become my spare.

That sounds like a plan, right?

Is it ok to use Lithium/PTFE grease in the hubs?
Nissan told me that Lithium can be used ANYWHERE, but I'd respect this forums' suggestions over those from Nissan.

I used "the best grease I could find" when I rebuilt the truck. This stuff:
Grease_-_L80-C-medium.jpg

Did this cause the problem?

Take a look here:
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Specialty_Products/Extreme_Performance_Grease/#.UxrnQ4X4JI8

The manufacturer says it is ok -

"The list below is only indicative of the applications of L80 grease.

Vehicles

Universal joints
Wheel bearings
Leaf springs
King pins
Chassis
Tow balls
Water pumps
Turntables
Clutch release bearings
Ball joints

Marine Equipment

Sump and bilge pumps
Deck winches
Trawl ropes
Boat trailer bearings
Outboard fittings
Stern tube bearings
Propeller shafts
Anchor winches
Rudderpost bearings

Miscellaneous

Cables
Bearings
Bushings
Guides
Cams
Valves
Slides
Pumps
Mining equipment
Conveyors
Farm machinery
Production equip.

What can you tell me?? :help:

:rofl2: Always thought the Nissan hubs were tuff, what did you do?

Sorry - I missed this!

Hmmmmm.....

Going along the beach and all was dandy. Suddenly the front buried itself into the soft stuff. Got out, checked the hubs and both were locked.
Pulled away, went about 10m and the same happened.
Asked Christian to jump in and teach me to drive and he said I was doing ok, must be something wrong with the truck.

He got out and had a look at the wheels while I pulled forward.
Nearside front hub was not locking. :violin2:

Got a tug through some of the soft spots, but noticed that it would drop back into 4wd for a while every time I messed with the hubs.
Hit the hub with a hammer and it worked ok - for a while.

Finished the day with the hammer in-hand, thanks to a whole bunch of chaps and chap-esses that did not moan about my breakage.

I'll swap out the hub when I get a mo...

White Hills - Preston

Just to add to the wonderful picture posted by Christian, here is the group-shot, complete with a whole bunch of boats doing a "follow-me" in the background.

A_bunch_of_fourbies.jpg

(Doesn't the D21 look tiny!!!)

LOVELY DAY - Thanks to everyone.

So - I never said I was SMART...

I'm REALLY embarrassed to ask this, but...
On the D21 Series 2 tub, there is a loop around the roof line that bolts to the tub. Looks like this:

Bar_2.jpg

or this:

Bar_1.jpg

So here's my question.

HOW does it come off?

I have undone the bolts that go into the sides of the tub (and taken out the stiffening plate with the captive nuts welded on it) and I have taken out the ones that are in the front of the tub, under the back window.

The little triangular bracing plates (visible in the bottom pic) are now loose, so the hoop swings forward a little, but it won't come off.

What am I missing?

Cheers all!

Hi there

well its a small world, I have a d21 exactly like yours and have also just bolted on a terrano front end, and also getting it resprayed white soon. To answer the question about the back bar, I had to angle grind the 3 posts in the middle off at the base to get it off and a also a little on the ends. I then just smoothed everything out with the grinder. I was given a D40 ute bar which will fit nicely into the tray. The D40 bar was about 10mm to wide, so i placed a ratchet strap around it and pulled in to fit in side the tub and bolted it up. I have been given a updated d21 ute tub to match the front end and will have to do it all over again. However I am just going to pop rivet a length of alum angle over the holes left from the back bar on the rim of the tub when i get it resprayed to cover them up or maybe just weld in some plate underneath and bog it???

Last edited:
Hey - Bitpharked - Looking GREAT!
And only going to get better...

It's all the little things that bugged me - The bonnet catch and prop, wiring for the indicators, sidelights and indicator repeaters. The big stuff - went on without a problem. :violin2:

I just found a wrecked Terrano and cut all of the connectors off. Wired them in (and soldered them up) and all's good!

Stay smiling!

I'll bolt the loop back on for now and cross that bridge when I am getting ready to paint the tub.

One thing that I am interested in knowing - Will my D21 Series 1 canopy fit on my new D21 Series 2 tub? I can't try it until the hoop comes off.
Any ideas?

Cheers to you all and have a happy week!

Power woes...

I came out a few days ago and the battery was flat...
Charged it up and the next morning, it was flat again.
Charged it a third time, left it disconnected, and bugger, it was flat again in the morning...

Took it to a local battery place - one dead Optima yellow top. :hang3:
They offered a replacement Optima D34 for $380, but suggested I was pretty dumb installing a new Optima and offered me their own brand for $250.

I declined.

I found an Ebay supplier "4WD Extreme"
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321228651476&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160
and they delivered a replacement D34 for $254. I ordered it on Thursday and it was delivered from Adelaide on Monday.

All of my battery woes are gone!

It is a shame that I couldn't buy local, but $126 extra if I collected it myself didn't seem a good enough deal.

If you are looking for a decent battery and don't want to spend a fortune (or wait weeks), I'd rate "4WD Extreme" quite highly.

:redcool::redcool::redcool:

Back