15 inch tyres legal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt c

Reaction score
Hey guys
Trying or organise some new rubber have 15 inch rims and was going to put 31x10.5 on them until I went to singhs tyres today and said that they would stick out past the guards to much and the 15 inch rims were illegal as they have been down sized from the original 16's
Any thoughts

yea you have to grind the caliper or something from memory, few people have them but tbh its not worth the **** around. just get 265/70r16 which is basically the same as a 31"

I already have 15's that I had on for years not sure what offset they are but they fit
There telling me it's illegal to drop down
He recommended I went back up to 16's and put 245 /70 r16

tell him D22's run 265/70 as standard size, I think a 245/70 would be around a 30.5" so would look really small and stupid, if you already have 15's just go to a tyre shop that actually wants to sell tyres.

True thanks mate my original tyres were 205 /r 16 because its a tray back ex though

ah I see..

they are a 29" im pretty sure so legally you can go a 31" (or equivalent metric size if you go back to a 16" wheel 265/70r16, 245/75r16, 265/65r17) that is provided your state is using the NCOP.

Thanks mate I think ill back to the 16's and get something equivalent to 31"s cause there gonna be bigger then what I have now anyway

I don't think you'll have any problems with running 15's mate.
I think you'll find it's the rolling diameter that's the governing factor not the rim diameter.
Just so long as the rims clear the brakes etc there really isn't a problem other than the offset.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

Have a read through this, I had a quick read and I couldn't see anywhere that rim diameter was mentioned.
It doesn't say you can but also doesn't say you can't use your 15's.
So as far as I can assertane ... Yes 15's are legal just so long as they meet the other criteria.
Personally though I'd just chuck em on and go fishing and not worry about it.
Cheers

Yeah that's what I'm thinking it was only that the 31x10.5 stuck out the guards a fair bit so the guys at singhs didn't like that but I didn't think it was to bad

Haven't had any problems with the law or anything mAte also do you no what your original tyres were

standard size for the STR was 255/70r16 before the S2 update in 04 which changed it to 265/70r16.

standard size for the DX has always been 205r16, think its about 738mm diameter, whatever tyres hilux SR's run its the same one as the DX navara.

Thanks for the help guys wondering if anyone is running 245 75 r 16 and if the speedo is out

Latest posts

Back