2.5L -vs- 3.0L Engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black beast

Reaction score
Okay boys this is my problem. I have the option to trade up my '06 3.0L Nav to a 2.5L possibly '07/'08 model. Only problem is that I have big plans for this baby and I don't want to go end up selling her with all her mods. So I have 2 options:

Option 1: keep my baby and do her up and not trade up for the 2.5L. Maybe wait till the 3.0L blows and get a 2.5? Don't know but it's an option.

Option 2: Don't touch my current Nav for a year (I know it's ridiculous) and trade up for the 2.5L.

Basically I'm wanting pros and cons for each engine, how reliable they are, power and such. What option you fellas reckon I should take and any other ideas you may have :)

Cheers, Cookey

If your just going by engine... It comes down to opinion.
Do you want Pre common rail or common rail.

i own the zd30 and love it.

If your looking at power im running xr6 intercooler FM, egr block/butterfly, 2.5inch with small hotdog muffler, Chipit Diesel chip, pre filter removed. Depending on chip setting i could make on a good day 140-150kw (engine). Which is AMPLE! power for anything you will throw at it.

As for 2.5 cant comment. dont own one.

Mate, the thing is I honestly don't know anything about common rail vs not common rail, so i can't answer that question =/ power isn't really a problem, it's more to do with the zd30 having a repitation of blowing up. I am almost anal on servicing it every 10,000kms so if I keep that up will it treat me well?

Cheers.

There are plenty of Zd30's out there with serious K's on them now. They haven't been a massive problem in the Navara. The Patrol, well thats another story but more caused by the way they control the turbo on that variant from what I understand. Don't think that there haven't been issues with some of the 2.5Litre models either. They are man made combustion engines- any of them can "have a bad day" and leave a sour taste in the mouth of the owner involved.

Yer navaras have a different setup to the patrol making them behave a hell of alot more.

What ever engine you get just do the saftey mods, like catch can, EGR mods, Boost gauge, EGT (pyro) gauge.

That way at least you can monitor what is happening at the engine.

Okay, so I'm still after some sort of comparason but at the moment I think I'm leaning to keeping the Grenade and just modding it up :)

But if any yd25 engine owners want to pitch in, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheer, Cookey.

Mate, the thing is I honestly don't know anything about common rail vs not common rail, so i can't answer that question =/ power isn't really a problem, it's more to do with the zd30 having a repitation of blowing up. I am almost anal on servicing it every 10,000kms so if I keep that up will it treat me well?

Cheers.

If you are really serious about servicing I would be getting it done every 5000Km. Most people I know with diesels do it every 5000Km, that's when I do mine.

What makes you think your ZD30 will blow anyway?

Change your service intervals to every 5k, do a few of the engine preserving mods like catch can and EGR blanking and your motor shouldn't ever let you down. I've got almost 260k on mine, never had an issue with anything.

Just stories from mates who had a friend whose brothers girlfriends dads mate zd30 blew haha

Reckon I might just service it every 5000kms and invest in a few engine mods. You fellas do your own services?

Cheers for your help to fellas.

I would keep the zd30 but I put an intercooler on mine.
I wouldn't trade in for another d22, you already have a d22.
The bonnet scoop does look good though on the yd25, and they have an intercooler and some have factory dual battery.......hmmm....
How many mods on the one you've got and can you swap em over?
How many kms on each?

Last edited:
I had the ZD30 in my D22 it done over 370'000km no a prob at all, and thats with doing oil and filter every 10k.

I now have a D40 so as you know they run the YD2.5, its up to 80'000km and no probs.

I do like the power of the new one, BUT it doesnt fill me with as much confidence as the ZD30 did (i know that may seem odd with all the grenade stories they had with the pootrols), it just seems noisier and im always thinking about the timing chain and tensioners.

The other thing that worries me is if i do ever have a problem with an injector they are around $800each for the YD as apposed to $180 odd for the ZD30.

The massive pressure that the fuel system runs at with the YD and all c.r engines for that matter makes them more susceptible or vulnerable to any contaminants in my opinion, allot of my mates who have had issues with injectors have copped a bit of crappy fuel, then $6k - 8K later they are back on the road.
My old ZD copped a couple of shitty batches of fuel, But it only needed the tank drained and a filter change and away she went.

So if it were me, i would do the mods you spoke of and keep up the oil changes, then keep on driving.
PLUS the model you have is a Jap built and they dont seem to have any probs, i would keep it.

Stay with the 3.0L the 2.5 is a bit of a slug off the line, I actually sold my 2.5 one and bought a 3.0L because it was getting annoying.

Its down to personal preference.
I own a 08 D22 YD25 engine (From new). Currently thowing some mods on the car, The only downside at the moment is as soon as it touches water the friggin starter motor blows. From searching around the YD25 is the same engine as the D40 common rail just detuned. (Save cost on not designing a new engine?)
With the DPChip, 3" Tiapan Exhaust, EGR Block, Fan mounted on the Intercooler its putting out some KW from a stock 98kw to around 120kw... Im having a boost controller installed so i might be able to get more kw.. And i'll have offical figure when its run on the dyno.
But anyway as for 4x4ing my friends all own 4.2lt Petrol Landcruiser 80 series. And i can tell you im able to get up hills they carnt. But it could be the fact they suck at 4x4ing

How is 846 Nm at the rear wheels sound, 2003 Dx Zd30, water to air intercooler, 3inch Exhaust, Chip, Upgrade Turbo, Dyno Tuned (dyno sheet on my garage) Thats more than the 200 Toyota, and running 33.4inch tyres, (255/85R16.
Never had any problems with the Zd30, from all the people I have spoken with the Zd30 is a good engine It's just what Nissan have bolted onto it that is questionable.

Cheers fellas, by the sounds of things the zd30 is a good engine :) I only have a 2" sus lift at the moment cause I've been tossing this up. What are the essensial mods for the zd30? Gauges? Intercooler?

Cheers, Cookey.

Don,t know whats essential, but the 2.5 inch ehaust is about to go on, top mount inter cooler is on. As far as pushing hard I,d put a egt gauge on it

Last edited:
Don,t know whats essential, but the 2.5 inch ehaust is about to go on, top mount inter cooler is on. As far as pushing hard I,d put a egt gauge on it

Hey Dave, how much did the top mount cost, did you fit it your self and how much of a pain was it to fit?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzqhIrXpqo[/YT]

Google D22 YD25 big ends.

Since the non CRD YD25 use to flog big ends out and throw rods through the block.

Does that mean all YD25's are going to have that problem ? Nope, Nissan fixed the problem.

In true Nissan style, they never admitted there was a problem.

Latest posts

Back