285's on a D40? possible any mods?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll need shorter diff ratio's to run a 285/75 tyre. You have to slip the clutch a fair bit already to get off the line. (manual of course)

In NSW its 50mm. I don't much like being told what to do anyway.

My ZD30 has had no issues in the last 110k of having to slip the clutch to take off.

In NSW its 50mm. I don't much like being told what to do anyway.

My ZD30 has had no issues in the last 110k of having to slip the clutch to take off.

Hi Laith

I have been wrong in the past, but I think you'll find that it is 15 mm in NSW as ADRs (Australian Design Rules) govern all States and Terrorities. I quote the RTA's website... "The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle."

Refer http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

Thus it doesn't matter where you reside in this great wide land of ours; the fact is that the rim and tyre combo cannot exceed 15 mm more than what the damn factory choose to fit. Grrrr...

Bosshog

Fair enough. I'll stand corrected.

Ive read a 1000 times in various posts on various forums that it is 50mm in NSW.

When calling around the other day for prices on new tyres I was told by 2 tyre shops that it is 50mm over diameter as I was asking for 285x75x16.

Fair enough. I'll stand corrected.

Ive read a 1000 times in various posts on various forums that it is 50mm in NSW.

When calling around the other day for prices on new tyres I was told by 2 tyre shops that it is 50mm over diameter as I was asking for 285x75x16.

Ahh, they are quoting the second part to the law. That being that a rim cannot exceed 50mm larger than what was fitted at factory. i.e. you can't go beyond a 19" rim on a D40 [legally] as 17" is the largest size the factory offered. But again with a larger rim you obviously need a lower profile tyre to stay under the overall 15mm diameter increase :)

So has anyone done it? I'm keen to put 285/75 on my king cab (lift first), can't be too much bigger then standard. (dont care if its illegal)

Ahh, they are quoting the second part to the law. That being that a rim cannot exceed 50mm larger than what was fitted at factory. i.e. you can't go beyond a 19" rim on a D40 [legally] as 17" is the largest size the factory offered. But again with a larger rim you obviously need a lower profile tyre to stay under the overall 15mm diameter increase :)

Randwick Nissan had D40's with 22inch rims brand new, how they manage that legally?

I saw a silver d40 today in the bunnings car park with 285/75 Mickey T MTZ's on stock rims. It had a 2" bodylift and what looked like a 2 or 3" suspension lift. It looked bloody good and with the combination of lift and tyres almost looked stock just bigger in every way. I wish I had a camera on me.

Last edited:
In regards to the rim width. Tirepower quoted me $110 for 16x8 king rims for my D40. Available now apparently.

Reinvigorating this thread as I had a fair bit to say about the legalities of fitting larger tyres. I have been frustrated when off road trying to keep up with larger stock vehicles. The solution is larger tyres in order to get that damn front diff higher off the ground (and a rear diff lock to keep forward momentum when the front wheels leave terra firma).

Larger tyres can legally be fitted provided you get an engineer to certify them (I have been quoted $400.00 for the engineer to sight the work and sign the docs). I really want 285/75 - which is the basis of this thread, but are unsure about whether diff ratios will need swapping, potential strain on CVs and whether they'll fit under the guards - I was told that 285's protude outside the panels and therefore I'll need to add a plastic strip? I have a 2 inch lift so there's no issues there.

Anyway, my point is $400 is lot to pay just to certfy fitting 265/75/16s WHICH should have been the stock tyre in my view. If I am going to spend the $$ I'd rather fit the larger tyre size.

Any thoughts?

BH

I havent gone to 285 just because of the diff ratio's. With my setup I have enough trouble getting of the line as it is (265 x 75). Unfortunately there are no aftermarket diff ratios available for the piddly front diff yet.
SAS may be the go?

I havent gone to 285 just because of the diff ratio's. With my setup I have enough trouble getting of the line as it is (265 x 75). Unfortunately there are no aftermarket diff ratios available for the piddly front diff yet.
SAS may be the go?

Thanks KingCab that info; makes the decision much easier. Have you thought about chip for quicker off-the-line performance? I am running 265/70s and with the chip off the line performance is good.

Gus

Latest posts

Back