285's on a D40? possible any mods?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i run 285s on standard rims . just a minor guard mod near the mud flap

Last edited:
Buzurk,do you have a close up pic of your powder coated rims?
I'm keen to see how they look.

Reinvigorating this thread as I had a fair bit to say about the legalities of fitting larger tyres. I have been frustrated when off road trying to keep up with larger stock vehicles. The solution is larger tyres in order to get that damn front diff higher off the ground (and a rear diff lock to keep forward momentum when the front wheels leave terra firma).

Larger tyres can legally be fitted provided you get an engineer to certify them (I have been quoted $400.00 for the engineer to sight the work and sign the docs). I really want 285/75 - which is the basis of this thread, but are unsure about whether diff ratios will need swapping, potential strain on CVs and whether they'll fit under the guards - I was told that 285's protude outside the panels and therefore I'll need to add a plastic strip? I have a 2 inch lift so there's no issues there.

Anyway, my point is $400 is lot to pay just to certfy fitting 265/75/16s WHICH should have been the stock tyre in my view. If I am going to spend the $$ I'd rather fit the larger tyre size.

Any thoughts?

BH

BossHog theres some exception in Vic roads saying commercial vechiles can go 50mm larger in diameter without legalities.
If you cant find it ill try find it again for you.

You can fit 285/75/16s on stock rims the offset gives you about 10mm clearance between the rubber and inner guard on turn.
If you use sunrasya rims (16X7) the offset is deeper pushing the rim out more and the tyres WILL hit the inner gurad but only just. you could modify it slightly so it misses but its whether you wanto or not.
16 X 8 rims (dynamic) will pretty much smack into the guards as the offset is another 25-30mm out again.

I have been playing with this idea fitting tyres and measuring tollerences since I bought my rig.
I have settled with 265s for now as if im gonna modify my guards it will be to find a way to squeeze 35s under there.
(seen a D40 with 35s on youtube in USA had body lift tho)

My theory is put whatever sized rubber you can fit on it and have a second set if shit hits the fan. that way insurance can go and get stuffed.

Hope this helps

265 fits in under the 50mm limit but 285 are outside that limit so will require reports done etc

I just had my wheels/tyres done as part of an engineers report and it was $275 for the wheels/tyres

Latest posts

Back