3.0 vs 2.5 - help please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedt83

Reaction score
I already own a 04 S2 D22 ST-R with 146,000 on the clock and had it for many years.

So all started with my Dad wanting to purchase a new D40. Which got me into my mates Nissan Dealership. He is going to purchase it.

So I started to think, should I change my 04 S2 D22 out for a brand new D22 2.5 ltr and walked out with a awesome quote with all the same gear as mine.

Problem is, I'm not too sure about the 2.5ltr. My 3 ltr feels like more torque and feels like it just wants to keep going. The 2.5 feels like its a baby compared to the 3ltr and starts pulling up at 2750 rpm.

Can you please provide feedback on the 2.5 especially if you have gone from the 3.0ltr to a 2.5.

I am going to test drive Saturday again and give it good workout.

Current ute is great and don't want to be disappointed if I change.

146k is still a baby mate if you looked after it and it serves you well stick with it there is 100's of threads on you query most prefer the 3ltr and yours is built in Japan not Thai with all the body mount and other problems most had recently that aside the 2.5 does loosen up a bit after 10k and returns good economy with fair performance for the price.

i have a 3ltr and thought the 2.5 was a better engine to drive with, until i drove my brother in-laws to Brisbane. I found that it wasn't a very responsive on the high way, hard to over take with.

so i would stick with the 3ltr mate, I may be a tad biased but :-D

i dont think its a case of which is better, you would get use to which ever you owned just a matter of learing how to drive it like you would have with the 3ltr. I think its more a matter of do you really need to upgrade?? if you have no issue with what you have then why change at all?? a new car is nice but an older one has a lot of benefits. You say your current is great?? if you have bit of extra dosh then just apply it in the right places to the 3ltr and make it even better. Just my 2c.

I agree with Steve, why change? I have a 2.5 and reckon its a little rocket, no chip or exhaust just the EGR mod. With your 04 there is a whole heap of shit you don't have to worry about like air bags etc.

Cheers Brad

Cheers guys.. Yeah, thinking about staying with the 3.0ltr. Dad signs up for the D40 tomorrow so will have a sneaky test drive again tomorrow.

I like the idea of the fuel economy from the 2.5, but my 3 ltr has served me so well I decided to hold onto it. Its up to 280000ks of towing now. The oil still looks new when dropped at service time (every 10000ks). Besides self inflected damage, nothing has ever gone wrong with the ute even though its been working at its max towing capacity most of its life.
Thats not to say the 2.5 owners might be saying the same in a few years about their utes. Their a bloody bargain at the moment.

i dont think you can go wrong either way with these utes, i was just talking to my best mate this morning (hilux owner) about bang for buck, and we both agreed the D22 hands down is best, in either engine model.

Latest posts

Back