3.3L V6 Upgrades and improvements pls!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny07

Reaction score
As i dig my way around this forum all i seem to find is people talking about how good their Diesel powered machines go and how to better them. Can anyone point me towards any threads relating to my ol' V6 Petrol (dare i say it) and or can we start a Petrol and a Diesel engine section to save the dramas all together???

Mmmmm, short of dumping a Gen III V8 into it, not a lot. My plan is to get a new exhaust and snorkel to help it breathe a little better. Theres a few things that Nissan Performance sell, slightly wilder cams, head improvements etc. You can even find one or two places that will wack a turbocharger onto the V6, but lots of money needed.

My work car (4 cyl Camry) leaves the Nav for dead at the lights, but in the bush, no probs at all. Have a look on the Nissan Frontier Forum (US) for some ideas as well, but making the VG33E get up and go isn't cheap.

Yep, you're right about the diesel talk. When we have our get togethers, once the talk starts about diesel chips/intercoolers/EGR mods etc, I go and get another beer, :)

Hmm

A lot of the US sites will talk about superchargers for the VG33E but from what I've read, it's nowhere near a bolt on mod, so I'd scratch that one.

Having said that, the US market doesn't get the diesel model at all and the V6 is popular, so if you read their info, there's mucho info to be had (except the supercharger stuff).

Being a petrol there is all the usual petrol engine hop-up techniques - performance cams, port'n'polish, boring it out, stroker kits, extractors, CAI kits, and of course supercharging and turbocharging. None of them will improve fuel economy by much - not much you can do about that one I'm afraid.

Eaten superchargers here do a bolt on supercharger for them.
Heads and cam you can do also but finding someone to reprogramme the ECU for it is another thing.I'm sure someone out there can do it but there has been no call for it.This is why I dropped a GEN 3 in mine

Cheers Guys, I'll have a look around the sites. At the moment i'm thinking the same Raywise, Snorkel and Exhaust for starters and see how things are looking then.

Hmmmm, looking further on the Nissan Performance forums, defintaley intake/exhaust/cams are the most cost effective boost for the VG33E. They also talk of a bored out throttle body, although real gains are debatable.

Intake would be a good snorkel, quality exhaust system and a set of JWT S1 cams.

Jim Wolf Technology website

These cams have great reports, good for a stock engine with no other changes needed, and give more mid range with better fuel econ. Win/Win. The little sticks with pimples that Nissan call camshafts restrict the engine a little.

I'll be looking into these mods as funds allow.

Last edited:
The cams are bundled in close with the Exhaust/Snorkel entries on my word doc that I keep adding to Dave. I've put these mods ahead of the susp upgrade for now, as I really want to get this V6 breathing/performing better.

Will still be a few months away though, :sad:

Catch can is being ordered tomorrow though, that is a relatively cheap and worthwhile mod.

ive started a 80 series airbox fit up. check out my thread in the d22 engine section. ive got big pictures on there. im half done.

I have done it to my V8 which was a V6.Look at nissan navara d22 v8.There are pics there also.Its easy to do.You will be better looking at mine as ours have a carbon canister and pic shows where to weld it to the new air box

Heads and cam you can do also but finding someone to reprogramme the ECU for it is another thing.I'm sure someone out there can do it but there has been no call for it.This is why I dropped a GEN 3 in mine
Were can i get this done in Western Australia please d22 2003

Were can i get this done please in western Australia..
And a round about price??

Latest posts

Back