4.5l of unleaded in diesel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put about 3 -4L of 95every second tank for 4years. its good for it nothing to worry about!!

I put about 3 -4L of 95every second tank for 4years. its good for it nothing to worry about!!
I've heard more and more stories lately of people doing the same. It's not something I'd like to make a habit out of still. My neighbor does it with his Hilux with no problems. I have heard that prolonged use isn't good though. 4 years is quite a while. Is it only the octane levels it boosts? Interesting stuff

putting petrol into diesel, especially small amounts on a long term basis will cause wear. how much depends on how much is used.

octane and cetane are basically opposites. putting high octane petrol in is like putting in low cetane diesel in. low cetane diesel is harder to ignite which is the opposite of what you want in modern engine which require high cetane.

the main thing is lubrication. petrol doesn't have any. adding petrol decreases diesel lubrication. you can get away with it with old school diesel, but modern low sulfur diesel has bare minimum lubrication.

the other thing to watch to is how the garage deals with water in the petrol tanks. not sure on current practices, but some used to add alcohol or emulsifiers to break up the water and mix it with the petrol. this allows the water to go through the filters and be used by the consumer.
however if you add that petrol/water mix to diesel, it can very easily go through the water filters and damage the pump.

Petrol in a cr diesel
Salt in your tea
Tomato ice cream
Fish chocolate

All not good!

Chocolate fish on the other hand...

Last edited:
Engine runs smooth hardly blows smoke, slight increase in power! I dont have a problem with it.

Well i wouldnt do it to mine. At 30 thousand psi petrol is like water. A very efficient metal cutting solution. Be interesting to see how long your pump lasts.
Having said that the petrol will combine with the diesel chemically and alter its characteristics.
I would assume different burn temp/ rate, lubrication level, cetane/octane rating and so on. It would become 'thinner' i suppose which will alter the injection quantity. The ecu uses the specific gravity of diesel among other things to work this out.
Just my 2c :)

Petrol should dissolve nicely in diesel. It burns faster than diesel so there'll be more of a kick on the piston, increasing the combustion temps slightly (probably not enough to be of concern unless you're running a chip).

Good point on the injection quantity, I wonder if it dramatically changes the LPHK - I expect not by much and perhaps not noticeable unless you're a very consistent driver.

The biggest concern is the reduction in lubrication. Now I wonder what the result of 5 litres of unleaded plus 500ml of JASO-FD 2-stroke oil would be? I know that's contentious, but surely it will restore the lubricity and modify the combustion quality in a favourable manner?

I've tried 2-stroke before, haven't tried unleaded. Might be time to do some more experimentation!

It's really quite a small amount when you consider my tank holds 150L of diesel. It's 3% of the capacity in petrol and 0.3% of the capacity in oil.

I'm leaning towards the 2-stroke oil more than cancelling out the lubricity lost by adding the petrol.

Well I can tell you all first hand she's all good after my fuel mishap. Still on my big trip, fone about 4500 kms and she's going great guns and towing.

Latest posts

Back