4WD Systems LR Fuel Tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony in Tas

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with the 4WD systems long range fuel tanks?

They do a 137 and 145 litre tank for the D22 that doesn't impact on the spare wheel at $864 and $1022 respectively. Which is at minimum 12 litres more than ARB and OL tanks.

Even to Hobart, I can get the 137l one here to Hobart for $198 delivery.. Just wondering what their quality is like.?

I've read they're not that good and terrible customer service. They may have lifted their game as they're still in business.

My experience with them was excellent. Fast, helpful service. Excellent price and quality, no problem there. Ive got the 145L version. Be careful if you go for a different exhaust (in kit form, not custom made) it will hit the 145L tank and needs to be modified (the exhaust that is). I would say better quality than ARB. I waited about 3 months for an ARB one, then when it finally arrived, went to put it in, and found out it was a D21 version, so thats why I went for the 4WD systems one as they could deliver in 4 - 6 weeks. So I have had the chance to look at both brands closely!

the 145 lt one does hang down further then the smaller (LRA/Long ranger) tanks. Maybe clearance is something to consider (if you dent up that 145lt soon you have a 125lt anyway lol), I have heard of a few cases with 4wd systems tanks leaking and welds cracking but you sometimes hear about other brands doing that also. I personally went with... Navara 06/1999 s/Cab &D/Cab D22 Diesel & Petrol
took about 2 weeks to arrive through TJM gold coast.

Addition: I've bought a lokka from 4wd systems, service was pretty good, not great but good, lokka is great not good.

Last edited:
My experience with them was excellent. Fast, helpful service. Excellent price and quality, no problem there. Ive got the 145L version. Be careful if you go for a different exhaust (in kit form, not custom made) it will hit the 145L tank and needs to be modified (the exhaust that is). I would say better quality than ARB. I waited about 3 months for an ARB one, then when it finally arrived, went to put it in, and found out it was a D21 version, so thats why I went for the 4WD systems one as they could deliver in 4 - 6 weeks. So I have had the chance to look at both brands closely!
That's awesome. thanks Simon. I am looking at the 137lt. So what particular aspects of the tank do you think were better than the ARB Long Rangers? Cheers T

I've got a Long ranger tank in my Landcruiser and although they talk about Aluminised steel---they still have to MIG weld the panels together and there is no protection over these ( ok --on the outside there is due to the lick of paint--no primer ) BUt the inside of the tank is exposed to water..therefore the tank will rust from the inside out.

I'm currently looking at an aux tank on the STR--just hard to justify the LRT at over a grand

here are some pics of my LRT ---180 odd litres.. from cleaning it up to applying numerous coats of 2 pack primer and then 2 pack top coat.
Picture139-2.jpg

Rust convertor brushed over welds
Picture149.jpg

primer
Picture152.jpg

top coat
Picture158.jpg

Last edited:
I've had the 145L 4wd systems for a while now (3 years)

Fitted well (but I have raised the tank up 50mm (bodylifted) so it now sits flat with the underside of the chassis. (std is 50mm lower = less clearance)

So far no leaks and the extra 20l over the other brands was real helpfull up the cape. At $2.21 in bamaga, reakon I saved at least couple hundred bucks buy having a long range tank.

Nice one Tommy.. I ordered the 135l yesterday. Its about 4 - 6 weeks away apparently. And yeh, there's a couple of hundred dollars off the investment right there in that trip.! :)

And gee Gazza, nice job on the repaint..!!! Next time I need to do that, i'm sending it up to you...

Thanks a heap to both of you for the input.. So now thats the LR Tank, Razorback canopy, tough dog suspension lift, Tekoshna brake controller, fridge slide, tray drawers, dual batteries, DPChip, and tyres taken care off..! Oh and about a $8k bill. But oh well.

Cheers
T

I have the 137 litre tank and very happy with it. Did have to remove muffler and replace with a resignator ( 3 inch system) but happier with it like that. The tank served me well as it made up the cape and back with no hassles ( ie cracks or clearance) however make sure who ever installs flushed tank as I had to change a fuel filter and metal shards in filter. The guys from 4wd systems are extremely helpful and bent over backwards to get me the tank in time. Also have the lokka from them and I can't stop raving about it. You won't be disappointed.

! Oh and about a $8k bill.

Cheers
T

That,s the problem with fourbys, They dont come with everything on our wishlists. You need 5 to 10 k spare to set it up after purchase, Bullbar tyres lights canopy winch. The list is like a womens whinging never ending :sarcastic:

Cheers for that Jacko. We are fitting it ourselves so thanks for the heads up as I'll be sure to flush it first now. They reckon that you shouldn't have to change anything on the exhaust though so I'll speak with Tom about that today...

Interesting about the lokka. Was looking at that or the ARB Air. Will chat to them about it. :)

Hey mate,
I also have a tank from 4wd system. I rang up to order the 145l tank, and asked about getting it customised to suit my body lift, and within 5 mins I had spoken to the guys that actually weld them up. Ended up with me getting a 180L tank as they could extend it for me with no hassle what so ever. Can't remember what extra it cost me, but it was bugger all. Think it was about 80 bucks on top of the 145L, which at the time was somewhere around 800 bucks.
Turned up well painted, and prompt delivery. Definitely flush the tank out, more than once, to try and get as much of the crap out of the tank as you can. They can not flush it out for you with fuel as then it becomes a dangerous good to ship as it has had fuel in it, so there is a reason they can not flush it out for you. But remember there is a lot of baffles and cut outs etc in there, so make sure you are thorough, and I then changed my fuel filter after one tank fuel, then did another filter after another three tanks I think, just to make sure. Couple of filters is a small price to pay I figured. (And I did find a lot of metal filings etc in the filters....even after a few flushes. Thats what a filters for tho..)

Yes, I have had problems with a weld leaking, and they were very quick to try and sort it out for me, offering to pay for it where ever i had to get it welded ( I was in remote north WA) but it was not a major leak, and was where the front mounting tab was welded on. I still have it on my project list to modify this mount to make it stronger, but long way down the list.

But have so far not had any other problems with it, apart from the mounting bolts coming loose. I recommend loctite threadlock on the bolts. Also the exhaust will come with in millimetres of the tank, so you might need to modify the exhaust slightly (I had a flangejoint right underneath that had a visit from a grinder....) And it does hang lower than the longranger tanks etc, which they originally said it wouldnt, but I just have to make a bash plate up for that front corner and there will be no worries.

Good price compared to others, good service, looks good, and fits really well (Once you take the tailshaft out etc...)

End of a long story, I love the tank, except when I have to pay the fuel bill at the servo, and can't believe how I used to have to fill up after every 550km or so before.... but given its one tank not two, it will suck if I ever stove a hole in it, hence I still carry a jerry with me as well when I go bush.

Oh, sorry .. forgot to mention. Be prepared to get some new few hoses when you fit, I had to extend the hoses a few inches to be able to connect them. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to fit them and do the clamps up with the tank still not fully installed, as even with the tray off it can be a pain with it all the way up. Just be careful if you do have long hoses to make sure you secure them so they can not rub....
I am also back living (sort of, sometimes) back in tas with my ute, so if you want a look or anything at my tank let me know.

That,s the problem with fourbys, They dont come with everything on our wishlists. You need 5 to 10 k spare to set it up after purchase, Bullbar tyres lights canopy winch. The list is like a womens whinging never ending :sarcastic:
Oh it gets better than that Dave.. Before I even drove it out of the showroom, I had installed:
steel bull bar, IPF Extreme driving lights, headlight/bonnet protectors, Warne winch, tinted windows, tray liner, Rola roof racks, blue tooth phone system, weather shields, UHF radio, seat covers, floor mats, alarm system, and a set of Cooper AT's. :thank_you2:

The latest mod's are all part of our plan for an 18month trip around Oz.. Hence the canopy, tray drawers, 2" lift, diff locker, shower, electric brake, roof console, air compressor, dual batteries (2 in car, 2 in camper), solar panel's, and LR tank. And a new set of the Cooper ST Maxx.. And blow me, if I can't fit anything else onto it..! :sarcastic:

Hey mate,
I also have a tank from 4wd system. I rang up to order the 145l tank, and asked about getting it customised to suit my body lift, and within 5 mins I had spoken to the guys that actually weld them up. Ended up with me getting a 180L tank as they could extend it for me with no hassle what so ever. Can't remember what extra it cost me, but it was bugger all. Think it was about 80 bucks on top of the 145L, which at the time was somewhere around 800 bucks.
Turned up well painted, and prompt delivery. Definitely flush the tank out, more than once, to try and get as much of the crap out of the tank as you can. They can not flush it out for you with fuel as then it becomes a dangerous good to ship as it has had fuel in it, so there is a reason they can not flush it out for you. But remember there is a lot of baffles and cut outs etc in there, so make sure you are thorough, and I then changed my fuel filter after one tank fuel, then did another filter after another three tanks I think, just to make sure. Couple of filters is a small price to pay I figured. (And I did find a lot of metal filings etc in the filters....even after a few flushes. Thats what a filters for tho..)

Yes, I have had problems with a weld leaking, and they were very quick to try and sort it out for me, offering to pay for it where ever i had to get it welded ( I was in remote north WA) but it was not a major leak, and was where the front mounting tab was welded on. I still have it on my project list to modify this mount to make it stronger, but long way down the list.

But have so far not had any other problems with it, apart from the mounting bolts coming loose. I recommend loctite threadlock on the bolts. Also the exhaust will come with in millimetres of the tank, so you might need to modify the exhaust slightly (I had a flangejoint right underneath that had a visit from a grinder....) And it does hang lower than the longranger tanks etc, which they originally said it wouldnt, but I just have to make a bash plate up for that front corner and there will be no worries.

Good price compared to others, good service, looks good, and fits really well (Once you take the tailshaft out etc...)

End of a long story, I love the tank, except when I have to pay the fuel bill at the servo, and can't believe how I used to have to fill up after every 550km or so before.... but given its one tank not two, it will suck if I ever stove a hole in it, hence I still carry a jerry with me as well when I go bush.

thanks very much Nev for the info..especially about 4wd systems ability to manufacture a 180 tank.... and the fuel bills. I have a V8 Cruiser with ~100 litre main and 187litre sub tank.

Im just going to kick start this thread again to see how all the guys with 4wd systems tanks are going? Interesting to see they can build bigger tanks if requested, I wonder what size they could build if I removed the spare from under the car? Im not pushed about my spares sitting on the roof.

Hi ,very good mod. Looking at ordering one myself shortly. Everyone's still going ok? Was told the 137 litre if running a 3 inch system. Any other opinions?

I've had one in mine for almost 12 months now. I have a 3 inch xforce exhaust, but I have cut the muffler out and replaced it with straight pipe so I can't comment on how it would fit with the muffler in. Find build quality reasonable. Although, with the 137lt you still lose a fair bit of ground clearance unless you have a body lift and get the mounts raised to suit.

The only other thing I did at the same time as fitting the tank was fitted a stanadyne diesel pre filter. It has a chemically treated element to remove water and a glass bowl on the bottom. I went with a 30 micron element as the yd25 filter in the d22 is already a 5 micron from memory. I mainly fitted the extra filter to help with any water that may get picked up if fueling up in remote areas...

The only thing I'd recommend is, if you don't drive a lot and fill up often, try and keep the tank as full as possible. This will stop condensation building up inside the tank and rusting it out. That's the same for any tank really, not only the 4wd systems ones... If you do a lot of km and fill up fairly often then it won't really be a problem as it won't be sitting for long periods.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back