80 Channel UHF CB Launch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why will using a 40 channel radio become illegal? Will it interfere with the signal from the new 80 channel ones? If so, there will be lots of problems ahead.

Why will using a 40 channel radio become illegal? Will it interfere with the signal from the new 80 channel ones? If so, there will be lots of problems ahead.

All to do with the CB UHF license. Won't interfere and i can't really see them running around to find any transmitting on a wide band. Its more to do with getting all new units 80 ready and letting the old ones die off eventually.

Why will using a 40 channel radio become illegal?

Where has it been said that it will become illegal to use 40 channels? Last I read (and it was a while ago) 40 channels will stop being sold but there will be no forced change for current 40 channel owners.

The UHF CB radio class licence has changed, it specifies the fequencies, transmit strength and band etc. pretty sure it was 2015 or 16 till they stop allowing the wideband sets anyway... ages away!

Just a thought if truckies are swearing on ch 40 y would you b listening to it with kids in the car
Ch40 is traditionally a truckies channel and should be left for them to talk to each other as they please
There are 39 other channels to use so why would you not use 11 or 18 or any of the other ones
Now with 80 comming on line im sure people can find one to use
Trust me when i say truckies would b the first to help any one who needs help on the road and really do put up with a lo of bad drivers
Im not saying all truckies are angels but for the most they are good people just tryin to do a hard job the best way they know how

Most of the crap I hear on the UHF is just wankers abusing truck drivers looking for a bite.

If you dont wanna hear it, there's other channels to use as Burmic said.

whats the go with 77 channel uhf?? couldnt they quite make the 80ch team?? there same same arent they?? i'm scratching my brain to decide which one and im leaning towards the Uniden UH7760 NB for $279 complete kit

whats the go with 77 channel uhf?? couldnt they quite make the 80ch team?? there same same arent they?? i'm scratching my brain to decide which one and im leaning towards the Uniden UH7760 NB for $279 complete kit

thats cheap
i just paid $370 for same radio

Its beacause they are an 80 channel set, however you can't transmit on all 80. Certain channels are used for telemetry and are not to be transmitted on, plus i think one is "for further expansion" or something. This is why it is labelled as 77ch. The 80 channel set's still wont transmit on them either.

i been researching for hours last night on peoples comments reviews and experiances with ICOM GME and UNIDEN and i stumbled across this blog on 4X4earth forum, has anybody got same opinion about " u can tell when someone uses a uniden" and it wasnt the first time i seen someone write same thing,

"We use an Icom commercial UHF radio as our main radio and also have two GME
TX6200's that we use for out of vehicle comms when exploring.

The Icom is the best built radio by far but you also pay the price.

The GME is a very close second with the Uniden a very distant 3rd.

Uniden uses old technology in their radio designs whereby Icom and GME uses state of the art technology.

You can always tell when someone is transmitting on a Uniden as the audio quality is poor, when we travel in convoy and someone is using a Uniden we always lend then one of the GME TX6200 to use, they usually comment about how well it receives and the other people comment how well they can hear them.

I would go the GME with a good quality ground independent stainless 6.5 dB antenna.

Heard that about uniden before, but in my experiences it is more about the install than the radio alone. I have been with people that the GME's sound like shit and the uniden sounded heaps better. I personally have neither GME or Uniden, i have a Icom and a Simoco.

Mitch

I have seen several Uniden's fail in the last 6 months. My old one and a few mates.

They all do the same thing, they keep showing up they are recieving constantly.

Haven't had a chance to get mine checked out though.

I have seen several Uniden's fail in the last 6 months. My old one and a few mates.

They all do the same thing, they keep showing up they are recieving constantly.

Haven't had a chance to get mine checked out though.

I have a hand held Uniden that is doing that, it came good for a while but started doing it again some time ago. No idea why and its probably not worth getting it looked at seeing as it's only a 2w cheapie.

Did that start around the time the 80 channels came out Craig ?

When I bought mine late last year the sales guy said that folks who have the old 40ch will find it harder to hear 80ch sets - So like Dave, I'm curious to know the timing here too.

I should add that the reasoning given was that the new channels are old channels split from 30hz to 15hz!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back