A/C noise.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4 ST-R

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've had a grinding noise coming from the A/C unit after 4wding. I assumed it was the pulley bearing. I was about to fix it today.

I took off the belt and spun the unit. The inner part of the pulley is quiet, it's the outer part that the belt sits on and spins- that's the noise.

What is this part? And how do I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Im suffering the same thing, I thought it was the tensioner pully bearing but the aircon makes sence. Il have a look thisarvo and see what I can come up with. Iv got the under body all covered up with bash plates so Its annoying to have to remove them all!!!!! Arr well, the joys of it all!!

I had the same issue with my d40, I took it to Nissan not long after I got it and all they did was lube all the parts up and it fixed the problem

Hears a question for thows in the know, what lubricant would you use for that and how do you apply it? Without pulling it all apart? I know crc or wd-40 would be a quick fix but they are not good for long term solutions!!!

I had the same noise...turned out to be the a/c compressor and tensioner...... $1700 later :-(

The inner part won't spin till you turn A/c on
Ide say your bearing is stuffed
If you can change it while its still in car its not a big hassle but as soon as you remove comp from car it will need to be regassed
If you remove a/c comp yourself be sure to seal hoses and comp fittings and make sure you get no moisture in the comp or hoses as any moisture is a real problem for a/c sealed units

Last edited:
The inner part won't spin till you turn A/c on
Ide say your bearing is stuffed
If you can change it while its still in car its not a big hassle but as soon as you remove comp from car it will need to be regassed
If you remove a/c comp yourself be sure to seal hoses and comp fittings and make sure you get no moisture in the comp or hoses as any moisture is a real problem for a/c sealed units

To remove it you'd have to take it to an air/on place first and get them to decant (remove) all the gas as its illegal to let it out into the atmosphere. Then you can remove it and do the repairs/replacement then take it back to them for them to put the gas back in and test the system...

All fixed guys.

I undid the 4 a/c bolts holding the unit onto the engine. Dropped the unit as low as I could get it.
Got a puller from supercheap and pulled off the pulley. Make sure you remove the clutch, and circlip first.
Pressed out the old bearing, pressed in the new one and reinstalled.

No more noise.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back