Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2-stroke oil is not emulsified in diesel - it's a complete and total chemical combination. By adding the 2-stroke oil, you change the chemical composition of the diesel itself.

Or at least, that's what yamaha_fan (who was the apparent expert on this) had said about it. I believe it - no reason to doubt it whatsoever.

I am going to check which oil is the best oil to use and will start putting some in my tank soon too.

Hi Guys,

Since I have had my new D22, I ran the half tank that was in it when I bought it plus one full tank on normal diesel and have since then added the 2 stroke oil to the tank each fill.

So far as I can tell, my engine runs smoother and quieter with no apparent downside.

I'm happy enough with it to continue adding the oil and to keep costs to a minimum will be buying a 20 litre drum of the 2 stroke as buying 200ml bottles is too expensive.

I'd like to say the added mileage is from the oil but is more likely from the slow bedding in of the rings and bearings.

I am using the Caltex 2-Stroke mower and small engine oil. Seems to be doing ther job nicely!

Cheers,

DJ

interesting to see that it has an effect on CR motors. does it make a difference when the motor is cold?

i wouldn't use mower 2 stroke oil. air cooled 2 stroke oil is made for hotter running motors. not sure if it will burn clean enough in a water cooled motor.

Good to see you guys are getting results with the Nav's. As tweak'e said as well, interesting to see the 2.5 gets results, you would think it *should* be designed to run at it's optimum with the low sulphur diesel.

I work on a golf course with diesel powered mowers. I'm thinking of trying some oil in the fuel on some of our older, and more noisy units. If it makes a difference with them,and doesn't blow them up, I think I'll give it a go in the Nav.

Well, tried it a work and it did make a difference. Definetly quiter on a Kubota 4 cyl engine. Won't know if economy will improve. I'm not going to make it common practice at work though, it's hard enough for them to distinguish the difference between unleaded and diesel to start with.

The preliminary answer is in ... the wife says it's quieter.

I was thinking that it's just wishful thinking or my poor hearing (I am mostly deaf anyway) finally clapping out, but we had the car idling in the driveway this afternoon while we were checking the lights on the van etc and you could hardly hear the motor.

When we get back from this little trip, I'll unhitch and take the thing straight down for a refuelling. We'll see what kind of usage figures we get - I know I've been a little harsher on her trying to make her overheat without success (discussing that issue in this thread) but I'll drive her normally on the way home.

giday, first post i have made on the forum as this oil talk has me very interested and until now this is the first i have heard of adding 2 stroke oil with diesel, there a several factors that seem to make sense that this would in fact improve engine operation, i have just brought a navara and do notice that at cold start up its has quite a loud knocking but once warmed up runs relatively quite. i thought the knocking was due to the detonation of the fuel creating piston slap or the knocking noise, once warmed up piston expands and you don't get slap there for no noise, adding the 2 stroke oil must change the way the fuel detonates
Question is how, does it detonate at a more precise time or advanced or retarded?
also the combustion temps of a diesel would be significantly higher than that of a 2 stroke engine so the way the oil burns would be quite different also the fact that it mixes with diesel not petrol would affect to.
if the oil was making combustion temps higher that if straight diesel is used has anyone noticed boost pressures increase? it would be good to monitor exhaust temp and boost pressure just to see what was happening?
as for me i will defiantly be trying 2 stroke oil just to see for myself the affects its gana have, im interested to know other peoples thoughts as to what affect the oil if actually having on the engine. thanks scott

Have seen alot of this bantered about in numerous forums.
2 things that struck me in this thread are
1. If its so good why aren't the oil companies doing it? - Page one
2. Something about Caltex and improved diesel fuels - somewhere back there.

As somewhat of a 2 stroke fiend I noticed the first time I picked up the nozzle at my local Caltex that the Vortex Premium Diesel smelt alot like Ester laden 2 stroke fuel. BelRay H1R. Silkolene 2KR etc I didn't think anything of it until I started seeing posts like this around the place.
So which came first the oil companies or the boffins?
Were the rumours / anecdotes / facts generated and the oil companies saw something in this that they have forever been overlooking or did they generate this interest - of which there is a great deal - and then proclaim they have what everyone is looking for in they're modern fuel?
Conspiracy perhaps........ Discuss.

Diesel is diesel. Vegemite is Vegemite.
For those of you watching you will have noticed a new vegemite product hit the stores. Why? Because Kraft found that the average household only buys 5 jars of vegemite a year. Jazz it up a bit make new claims up the cost and generate interest = more sales.

Hi Aido,

If you read the original thread on the other forum from start to finish, (it's a big read), you'll find that Yamaha_fan was actually doing a study on oil additives and their worth. In that experiment/study, she found that the oil additives were mostly all useless and not worth the money. Ie, reduce smoke, fuel conditioners, injector cleaners etc.

She is a lawyer specializing in the automotive industry. Pretty cluey lass for a lawyer, and she used to race bikes so she can't be all bad. ;-)

It's worth the full read, I'm about to put my third tank of 2-stroke into my Nav and have had no adverse effects, just a quieter smoother engine.

Cheers,

DJ

I'll confirm that I, too, have had no negative effects, only positive. About 1 litre per hundred km improvement in economy while towing (measured by refuelling over km travelled, I don't have a Scanguage yet).

My Nav is much quieter. At idle, standing beside it, you have to wonder if it's actually running. You can hear it from the front, of course, but down the sides or at the rear it's as quiet as a mouse. Startup noise is reduced. I'm not a rev-head so I don't know if it has more punch.

I used JASO-FC rated Castol Activ 2T - I bought a bottle of injector cleaner and dumped that in my wife's petrol-powered car, then filled that bottle with 2-stroke oil (just as an aside, that injector cleaner smelled all the world like turps).

Hi all,

I've been running Yamalube two stroke oil in my diesel for going on a couple of months now. Been doing some decent miles, so have been putting a fair bit of fuel through both vehicles (navara and merc).

Happy to report no apparent ill effects. Motors are both running nice and smooth, certainly quieter than prior to running two stroke in the fuel.

Economy - can't say there is any big difference one way or the other. Power? Don't have a dyno so can't speculate.

I probably should have gone down to Jaycar and bought a sound meter for some definitive numbers - but can't be bothered :)

End result however - I will keep adding the two stroke. My opinion is that it can't do much in the way of harm - I'm pretty mechanically kind to my vehicles in the way I use them - so no harm, no foul.

A mate of mine runs a 2005 Rodeo (pre common rail). He tried two stroke after asking me what I was adding to the fuel one day when we were heading out bush. He tried it in the rodeo and it made a HUGE difference to the clatter. He's convinced and now adds it every fill.

I'm not going to try and talk anyone into doing anything - just relating my own direct experiences.

I don't want to enter into the good and bad debate here because I haven't tried it, but are people really getting that much noise out of their Nav's? Maybe I've been driving trucks for too long but I consider my D40 to be rather quite whether at start up or when warm. Maybe I need to hang off the side while someone else drives or something but I really haven't noticed any noises like people are suggesting, other than the banging in the back because I keep forgetting to secure that cargo boxes I picked up the other day

I don't want to enter into the good and bad debate here because I haven't tried it, but are people really getting that much noise out of their Nav's? Maybe I've been driving trucks for too long but I consider my D40 to be rather quite whether at start up or when warm. Maybe I need to hang off the side while someone else drives or something but I really haven't noticed any noises like people are suggesting, other than the banging in the back because I keep forgetting to secure that cargo boxes I picked up the other day

Yes, I agree with you Krafty.

Maybe some should have bought petrol engine versions.

Maybe some should have bought petrol engine versions.

What, and let YOU guys have all the fun with the oily fuel pumps, clattering like you've stowed a hundred tin crabs under the bonnet and possible single-digit litres per hundred km?

Share the fun around some!

I don't actually find the noise all that bad - I'm mostly deaf anyway. My reason for putting the 2-stroke in was partly experiment, partly curiosity, and mostly putting my money where my mouth is.

If I'm going to rag on about something, or be involved in the discussion in a meaningful way, I'm going to jump in and swim.

Now, at least, I have real, personal experience that I can rely on during these discussions.

Well, aside from this whole oil thing, (as you all know my opinon)
i actuall love the sound diesel engines.

Oh, and my opinions come from personal and professional experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, aside from this whole oil thing, (as you all know my opinon)
i actuall love the sound diesel engines.

Oh, and my opinions come from personal and professional experiences.

I agree Krankin. I've driven some dogs in my time and to me the Nav is music to my ears. I expect it to be noisier than a petrol engine but unless it starts sounding like a 225hp Caterpillar I'm not going to be too worried

Hey Guys,

I have no problem with the diesel noise either and probably no one does, but the engine running quieter with less clatter would indicate that there is less wear and tear going on. I'm not running the oil in the diesel just for the noise, I believe there is less wear and tear and also the oil is supposed to act like a cleaning agent for the system. On top of this, the engine seems to run smoother. If I get any advantage in mileage, that's a bonus. To date, I have found that everything Yamaha_fan has said to be true, so I have little reason to doubt the other advantages claimed by her are not true also.

I also have started using the Castrol Activ 2T oil, Jaso FC. Good stuff and I like the smell of the exhaust. Buying the 1 liter bottle adds about $3.50 per tank. The 4 liter container will add about $2.40 per fill. I look at it as insurance and reckon I'm doing my engine a favour.

Some guys are such staunch and vocal critics of the experiment and that's fine, it's your choice if you want to try it or not. Although it would seem that most people who have tried it (and this number is growing) have decided to continue with it. Despite the obvious costs, they feel there is a positive benefit to their adding the oil. I don't recall a single posts saying the effects were detrimental to their fuel system or engine.

No disrespect intended and don't want to start an argument, but why are some guys so vocal in their opposition to this when we have received pretty much only positive results from those who have tried it? I'm sure there are plenty of others who have decided it's not for them but they don't seem to feel the need to staunchly defend their decision on the forum.

Old Tony has gained some credibility and respect by now speaking from first hand experience and trying the experiment himself and it would seem it works for him .... or at least his wife ;-)

Nothing more than observations .....

DJ

No disrespect intended and don't want to start an argument, but why are some guys so vocal in their opposition to this when we have received pretty much only positive results from those who have tried it? I'm sure there are plenty of others who have decided it's not for them but they don't seem to feel the need to staunchly defend their decision on the forum.

It's like hiclones. There's not enough science behind the claimed benefits. I think we'd be interested for someone to do a real experiment with a sound meter under controlled conditions with two identical diesel engines side by side, a proper fuel consumption test under controlled conditions (no that doesn't mean driving to work each day watching your scangauge), and running two engines side by side under identical conditions, one with two stroke oil and one without, then pulling both down after some thousands of hours and inspecting the relevant components.

The only bodies with the resources likely to do that sort of actual empirical experiment are the automotive manufacturers, who would salivate over an additive capable of making their diesels quieter, more economical and more durable. You don't see such a system on VW Golf Diesels, though, which is evidence enough that the cost/disbenefits outweigh the benefits.

I did put the concept to an engineer from Toyota and he laughed in my face. So, the only people in favour of it are the pseudoscientists out in the internet community. That's why we're negative about it.

Edit: Sorry, should have answered the actual question about why we're so vocal. I can only speak for myself: pseudoscience things like two-stroke oil and hiclones give me the shits.

Last edited:
Back