Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are peoples thoughts on chucking sump oil in instead?
some manufactures have lossy oil systems where the oil is injected into the fuel line and burnt. typical issues are clogging of fuel filters and injector tip fouling.
unlike 2-stroke oil, engine oil is not made to be burnt and doesn't have cleaning additives in it.
but interesting enough, i've heard they have very little in the way of injector and pump failures.

^ and thanks to the PCV you're burning engine oil all the time anyway. For those of us with DPFs, we are told that our engine oil has to be ultra low ash (JASO-FD or better) and that's usually synthetic - so that when the oil is burnt in the combustion chamber, it doesn't foul the DPF on the way out.

Whether I'd want to mix old sump oil into the fuel is another matter ... while I'm fairly sure that the sump oil in our cars is mostly just used oil + captured diesel soot, I'm not convinced that it would be of any benefit putting it in the fuel system directly, at least not without filtering particulates down to a few microns. I know the comment may have been made in jest, but someone might think about it!

Thanks tweakes and tony. was just an idle thought. I'm always wondering what to do with all the sump oil. Was thinking about painting the fence with it.
Got catch can which nullifies any sweet PCV oil inhalation. The oil gets changed in the RX7 every 3000km, sweet, sweet penrite HPR30. Comes out pretty clean. The zd30 oil comes out pretty clean too.
Seems like could be a viable idea, not sure if iv got the guts. My main worry is scuffing the fuel pump and injectors if small particles get through the oil filter in the first place and then the oil filter in the second place. ??

Yeah its probably not a great idea. glad to hear the voice of reason from you guys.
Maybe, like Tony said if you were to pump it through a 5 or 10 micron filter prior to using it, but it's a lot of trouble to go to for something that might as well be a placebo even with top grade 2t oil.

500ml added to 80 litres of Diesel. My injectors are noisy (when cold) and do suffer from Cold Knock.

I've driven it for 10km to make sure the solutiuon is running through the injectors. I'll let you know my results over the next few days.

Last edited:
I'll fill up tomorrow and I'll be adding 2 stroke then.
i used to use it in my 2.8 hilux and it made it alot quieter.
So we'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

150km after fill with 2-Stroke added.

Cold knock - still evident. Has no lessened any.

Idle is somewhat quieter with less "injector rattle". Especially evident when car is up to running temp (noticeably quieter)

Higher cetane fuel just ignites earlier, that's all. It's like advancing your ignition timing. Nothing at all like higher octane fuel - you do NOT get more punch out of the motor.

Higher cetane fuel just ignites earlier, that's all. It's like advancing your ignition timing. Nothing at all like higher octane fuel - you do NOT get more punch out of the motor.

i do not think thats strictly true.
if your using fuel with lower cetane than required its like retarding the ignition, which does loose power.

some years ago i checked aussies fuel co's diesel specs and it was lower cetane than what many diesels required.
the old style engines where fine, they use lower cetane fuel, but later vehicles required higher cetane.

Thats pretty interesting. I've never really noticed a performance difference between different brand fuels - its only a zd30 though - and although I usually try and get BP, you know whats weird? - I usually get slightly more K's out of a tank of United cheapo mystery blend! Figure that one out!

I'm under no illusions about using fuel with a really low cetane level but it's really the (unmeasured in Australia at least) energy density (calorific value) that we should pay attention to in terms of better-fuel-for-power. Higher cetane fuels should reduce diesel knock ( = quieter engine) because the sound of each combustion stroke isn't delayed as much as with fuel that ignites slower (lower cetane number). Higher cetane fuel should also achieve complete combustion quicker - hence my comment about higher-revving experiencing more benefits. I guess the additional corollary is that higher cetane fuels should result in fewer visible emissions.

That United "cheapo mystery blend" is probably partly biodiesel. There are regs in Australia about manufacturing biodiesel and Mobil seems to sell a lot of it, sometimes mixed by the tanker driver - I've heard of more than one driver taking on 2,000L of chiko roll and adding 8,000L of dinosaur juice. I'm fairly sure that's the cocktail I picked up at Kings Creek Station in Central Australia - and it was the best stuff I've ever used. Up there, I believe the source for biodiesel is tallow and not the local fish'n'chip shop, but given the regs even fisho juice (commercially manufactured) is not going to cause any harm.

There's a good reason for why bio appears to improve performance. Biodiesel manufacturers have a point to prove - that their product is better. I've not seen any specific tests or measurements comparing the two, but what you'd need to do is measure the calorific value of bio vs dino to get an accurate idea of which fuel is better.

Latest posts

Back