Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello people, I have read all the threads with a great deal of interest. I have just installed a power chip on my 2006 Navara and then decided to try adding 300ml 2 stroke oil when I filled up. Frankly I was a bit nervous about stuffing up the pump and the engine..but nothing.Like everything else our minds might be already biased after reading through everything on the web.I thought the the normal rattle of the engine is a little less and runs smoother. There was a small cloud of smoke at the in initial start..could be the small amount of oil not mixed (who knows).
What I used was normal 2 stroke oil (made by Castrol) that I use for my powertools. We'll have to wait and see what kind of k's I get at the next fill.
Let me know if there's any interest and I will post updates.

Pretty sure initial puff of smoke is a normal diesel thing, happens every time whether you notice it or not. Ill be interested to see how you go over the next couple of tanks. Its a pretty contentious issue whether 2t does anything or not, a lot of the zd30 guys swear by it. Apparently it is not good for any vehicle with a DPF, so if your 2006 is running one, it may not be a great idea.
I personally like the 2t. mines a 2004 zd30. Seems quieter on cold mornings and runs smoother, but that could be all placebo effect. I just like the idea of extra lubrication for the expensive-to-replace injectors and pump.

Odd that I've not had a problem with my DPF. I use Castrol Activ 2T - it's JASO-FC rated (low ash), specifically chosen to NOT cause issues with the DPF.

And so far, so good.

Hello people, I have read all the threads with a great deal of interest. I have just installed a power chip on my 2006 Navara and then decided to try adding 300ml 2 stroke oil when I filled up. Frankly I was a bit nervous about stuffing up the pump and the engine..but nothing.Like everything else our minds might be already biased after reading through everything on the web.I thought the the normal rattle of the engine is a little less and runs smoother. There was a small cloud of smoke at the in initial start..could be the small amount of oil not mixed (who knows).
What I used was normal 2 stroke oil (made by Castrol) that I use for my powertools. We'll have to wait and see what kind of k's I get at the next fill.
Let me know if there's any interest and I will post updates.

Should be 375ml to a 75ltr tank for the 200:1 ratio people talk about, incidentally now and then I'll run a couple of tanks without it and it's unmistakably quieter and smoother with it in, I've even run a tankful with about 450ml-500ml in it but performance started to drop off a bit, jeeze the injector pump was quiet though.
Try it for a while and make up your own mind about what you notice and choose what you want, I like to use it fairly regularly but not religiously and some think it does nothing.

Pretty sure initial puff of smoke is a normal diesel thing, happens every time whether you notice it or not. Ill be interested to see how you go over the next couple of tanks. Its a pretty contentious issue whether 2t does anything or not, a lot of the zd30 guys swear by it. Apparently it is not good for any vehicle with a DPF, so if your 2006 is running one, it may not be a great idea.
I personally like the 2t. mines a 2004 zd30. Seems quieter on cold mornings and runs smoother, but that could be all placebo effect. I just like the idea of extra lubrication for the expensive-to-replace injectors and pump.

Yep that's the main reason I use it, to lube the injector pump, an electrician I work with had a diesel 80 series cruiser with over 600 thousand k's on the original motor and pump before he traded it on a hundred series, he spun out about low sulfur diesel when it first raised it's head and started throwing two stroke in because of the k's he had to do for work travel.

After the debacle when low sulfur diesel was first introduced, oil companies now refine diesel with lubricants such as complex polyol esters "built in".

The extra cost of using 2 stroke may be better spent changing the fuel filter more often.

Putting 2 stroke in you fuel will probably not kill your engine but but whether it increases the life of your pump and injectors is a moot point.

It's quieter because you are lowering the cetane rating.

And the debate goes on :)

After the debacle when low sulfur diesel was first introduced, oil companies now refine diesel with lubricants such as complex polyol esters "built in".

The extra cost of using 2 stroke may be better spent changing the fuel filter more often.

Putting 2 stroke in you fuel will probably not kill your engine but but whether it increases the life of your pump and injectors is a moot point.

It's quieter because you are lowering the cetane rating.

And the debate goes on :)

Understood although cetane rating has no effect on the injector pump, I do like your reasoning on the more frequent fuel filter replacement though.

I just added 800ml castrol garden st to 170l in my stx v6 diesel....perhaps smoother ...nil difference in noise. I might be imagining it but second gear feels to have more torque. Too early to tell on economy

I tried it and the only thing I noticed was a slight rise in fuel use, I have now gone back to using Morey's Diesel Smoke Killer in the white and green 1 litre bottle ( treats 650 litres of fuel ) because I have been using it for years. It's easier to use gives much the same benefits and price wise it is very similar with the added benefit that I know it has been properly tested and designed for the job.

Rather than read every post of 70 pages it would be good to get a generalised consensus via a poll. Is it possible to do on this thread or is it too late?

I'm talking yay, nae only, not benefits or detractors.

Last edited:
well on every forum i've seen it on,
they all are roughly 99% yay 1% mehh. virtually no nah and most of those where using the wrong stuff or putting way to much in.

there wasnt a higher grade....at autobarn. It was this or marine.

seems to have made no difference in fuel use based on the average displayed on the dash and similar driving conditions

I've tried a few different brands, but in mine I do have to be a little more particular because of the DPF. Garden-tool 2-stroke would block that thing in a heartbeat - although I must admit that the term "garden grade" conjures up images of the underside of my lawn mower after I've found a nest of cane toads.

I haven't tried synthetic yet, I didn't think it'd be valuable - it has to chemically mix with the fuel, and I was thinking that synthetics might have trouble doing that - and the last thing I wanted was an emulsified mix.

exactly, synthetics won't mix. possible issue with semi-sythetics which most high grade oils are. low grades are generally straight mineral.
marine two stroke is ok to.

A very old and well discussed post,i had a chat with a mate early this morning he asked what I thought working on small engines for 25 years how this would impact a diesel.

My thoughts were all the briggs and Stratton 4 strokes that we pulled down after the owners had run 2 stoke fuel by mistake were completely carboned up the tell tale sign was the plug fouling and losing spark.

Having never pulled down an old diesel it's just a thought does it combust?? and having no form of combustion how do folk claim more power ect??

In a 2 stroke such as a chainsaw if the customer bought the old bp zoom the sludge and deposits were amazing at a 25:1 ratio,has anyone run this over a period of time or just experimented?.

Latest posts

Back