Adding Intercooler, any problems with fuel running to lean?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm adding a intercooler to my zd30 navara, I was talking to a mechanic at work and he was saying that if adding an intercooler the fuel will need to be adjusted to match the new amount of air going in or the compressor in the turbo could blow! Just wondering on anyone's experience in this area?

Thanks Daniel

Hahahahahaha, sorry. He must be a great mechanic if he came up with that....:wristy:

You aren't changing anything except how much longer the air takes to get into the motor and the temperature of it when it reaches the motor.

Diesel's can't run 'lean' there's no such thing. Less fuel, less power, less egt temp. The only danger in a diesel is too much fuel, too high egt, melts pistons and if you get it hot enough it will pretty much weld itself into one big lump...

By fitting an intercooler you aren't putting any more air into the engine, just cooler air. If you turn the boost up you will put more air in, but you won't make any more power without turning the fuel up

as above go talk to a real mechanic.

tho the engine will have a little bit more air going into it. colder air is denser so more air mass goes in. thats gives you a bit more go. the engine will love it and it lowers egt's. its a winner :)

Hi everyone

I'm adding a intercooler to my zd30 navara, I was talking to a mechanic at work and he was saying that if adding an intercooler the fuel will need to be adjusted to match the new amount of air going in or the compressor in the turbo could blow! Just wondering on anyone's experience in this area?

Thanks Daniel

Ahem...........bullshit, put an intercooler on and enjoy the cooler air going into the motor and the bonus protection it gives if the compressor turbine explodes, I will fit one when I can afford one, no question !!

Boofhead ,to quote the great John Mcenroe "surely you cant be serious"

As above.

The intercooler slots in AFTER the turbocharger anyway, so it can't do anything to the turbocharger's impeller.

When the turbocharger compresses the air (pressurises it, pumps it, however you want to describe it) the air entering the turbocharger is heated up significantly (by over a hundred degrees C). Hot air expands - so in a given volume of air (say one cylinder's capacity of 622cc) a certain number of oxygen molecules will be present. If you cool the air, more oxygen will be present in that same 622cc - so intercooling ADDS air. Yes, it makes it "leaner" - but that's how diesels run!

Yeah true, but the ZD30 D22s run MAPS not MAFS so there's a (calculable but minor) difference (pressure isn't the same as flow rate). It's a good point for those with MAFS to remember - although I think all of the MAFS-sensored engines already have intercoolers.

In the greater scheme of things, the intercooler doesn't do enough to make you wet yourself with excitement when you plant your foot. The difference may be discernible but it's only minor and it's all positive - especially the bit where it will catch the chunks of a disintegrating turbocharger.

Latest posts

Back