air/exhaust jacks vs high lift jacks,

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would get an exhaust jack for use in sand and mud.

reason is they have a large surface area on the bottom so the jack itself wont sink into the mud(too much). they are quickish to inflate and you dont have to hunt around and set up something to jack off.

I have used one to get my mates troopy out of mud and it worked a charm.

Bryce

I would think that an exhaust jack would be better in sand and mud then a hi-lift, as bryce aid, due to the surface area atc.

Mitch

If you are considering using a hi-lift jack, get someone experienced in off-road recovery to teach you how to use it. These things are dangerous if not handled correctly, but in the hands of a competent person they're supposed to be brilliant.

As the others have said, the exhaust jack makes for an easier lift in soft stuff. The big issue with the exhaust jack is getting the thing underneath - if you've dropped yourself into the mud/sand up to the chassis, you're in trouble. You need to be able to get this thing under the vehicle AND you need to connect it to the exhaust. If you're in really deep you'll be wondering where the hi-lift is.

Depends what you're doing. If you are doing a lot of off-road adventuring, you might find it better in the long run to get a hi-lift, have someone show you how to use it (both the right way, and the wrong way, and tell you why) and take it - plus some means of placing it on a loose surface - when you go.

If you're seriously considering a hi-lift, consider some steel bar-work front and rear with jacking points installed, and also get those wheel hooks as well.

also exhaust jacks don't work well on EGR equip engines. if ilding to long the ecu turns on egr and the high exhaust pressure shows huge amount of egr in stalling the motor.
if egr is blocked off no problem.

however exhaust jacks often have a compressed air connection so an air compressor can inflate it.

also exhaust jacks don't work well on EGR equip engines. if ilding to long the ecu turns on egr and the high exhaust pressure shows huge amount of egr in stalling the motor.
if egr is blocked off no problem.

however exhaust jacks often have a compressed air connection so an air compressor can inflate it.

+1 I would not recommend an exhaust jack for diesels as it can ause issues for the turbo and soot issues in the tail pipe.

I use my Hi Lift for so many different things it is easily the one of the best tools I have. Keep in mind they ARE a recovery tool rather than a tyre changing jack, but can be pretty handy for changing a tyre or two should you need to do so. YouTube have some excellent tutorial vids to show how to use one.

Cheers Brad

hi lift can also be used as a hand winch...bit more versatile then the exhaust jack

Thanks to everyone on their input. Some real good points about the exhaust pressure,turbo,etc. It seems the hi lift jacks can be good but dangerous if not used correctly and heavy, Also would need extra bar work done. So i have gone for the exhaust/air jack but using a air compressor to inflate it. Only because its light easy to use/ pack away. Iam not sure how long it takes to inflate with a air compressor..cheers

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Maybe slightly off topic, but is the quoted height of the hi-lift jack the total length or the max lift height of the unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back