Aircon only runs flat out!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solo

Reaction score
The aircon blower on my D22 will only run on speed "4"
On "1" "2' & "3" nothing happens. Took the 4 speed switch out and that looks OK inside, cleaned with contact cleaner and tests OK.
New fan fitted to the blower canister and blows plenty of air on setting "4"

What can be stopping operation on setting "1" "2" "3" ???

Cheers Solo:

That sounds like a problem some of the D40's had with the resistor behind the panel dying. The D22 will probably be a bit different to the D40 behind those panels but it could be something as simple as that.

Normally if the blower only works on the highest setting it is the resistor that has gone.
The part itself should be relatively cheap but I have no idea what inflated prices Nissan charge for this.

I had the same thing happen on my previous car in the UK and it was the resistor.

If the blower runs flat out no matter what you do then there is a more serious problem
but I would have to investigate another forum to find the answer to that one.

regards Murph

Last edited:
According to those who've previously had the problem in their D40's the resistor is $140 from Nissan but the D22 panel may be different enough to be a bit cheaper. If you could get the replacement resistor from DSE or the like (and I wouldn't know if that's possible because it could be a propriety part) then chances are it's worth about 20 cents, it's probably a real bitch to get to as well.

I've had the problem before as well (previous vehicle), it was a resistor pack.

Problem is the resistors are high-current ones, and Dick Smith might not have anything that heavy-duty. You could see a decent auto elec and ask them to supply the resistors.

DSE was just an example, someone like Element 14 would probably be better if you can get the resistors value after all they have very similar thermistors to the Nissan one for about $2 so they probably have the resistors. It's all a matter of finding the right values and matching them.

Thanks for the info guys,

I located the resistor in the air duct next to the blower fan. Yes its a bitch to get at. I had to remove the mounting screws on the duct so that I could pull it forward a little to get at the back screw on the resistor. You cant get a phillips head screwdriver square on to the screw to turn it so I used some pointy nose vice grips to loosen it and get the resistor plate out.
The resistor is a small copper printed circuit which only tested with a circuit between 2 terminals. In one corner appeared to be a dob of solder which didnt look too good. I guess this is a fusible link so that if it gets too hot the solder melts and drops the circuit. I carefully refreshed the solder dob and got circuit tests on all terminals.
I reconnected the resistor and had all 4 speeds. Reassembled and all sweet now. I understand the resistors are over $200 so this was a good save .

Thanks for the direction and this may help others to solve this problem and avoid the price gouging by Nissan on parts that regularly fail

Cheers SOLO:rock::cheers!:

The biggest joke of all would be how many other Nav's (or Nissan's with similar panels) have needed the same repair and dealers have charged their ridiculous price for and you've done it for a cost of a few drops of solder.

Glad to see it working.

Any pic of that little board?
Or do you remember the colour coding on the resistor?

If it is sitting on a little circuit board, then it will be worth 1c at most

Mine is booked at Nissan Tommorow for the same problem. I had it in last week and they diagnosed the Blower fan to be the reason the Resistor burnt out. Both being replaced under warranty. I saw the parts listed on the back of the R/O. the fan $315.00 and Resister $47.00, Presumably warranty rates.

regards

Greg

It would be the resistor. Working on the front counter of a parts counter for a dealership I sell these all the time. We have 9 different franchises and they all do it. When you think about it a resistance causes heat ( fan level one being the highest resistance therefore more heat). Electronics and heat do not mix. People drive all year round with their fan set to 1 or 2. It's gonna pack it in.

does any one know the resistor value mines just popped.love to just resolder a new resistor will upload a pic in 5

Pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371273976090.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371273976090.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 232
My guess is that you probably wont find any local shop with the correct resistor to replace it with because it wont just be as simple as matching 3 colour bands and a tolerance band. I also doubt a run of the mill soldering iron and swag of solder will do the repair for you.

It will be like the thermistor for the temp gauge, a $2 part if you could get it but chances of getting it aren't great.

Resistance values are in the fsm, no need to measure. It's relatively cheap, and an easy one to fix.

Resistance values are in the fsm, no need to measure. It's relatively cheap, and an easy one to fix.
cheers think i have a copy of that round here somewhere.....krafty im pretty handy and resourceful these days...will let you know how i go

Go for it but as yet I haven't found anyone who's positively fixed it so if you do don't tell your idea sell it!

Apparently its a fuse....according to the fsm diagram (see attached image)...not sure I would disagree,a fuse seems likely. ..any commentsuploadfromtaptalk1371285722254.jpg

Back