Am I expecting too much from a D22 ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
First off, merry xmas to all of you and your families, and all that, hope you've had a good one as I have. :rock:
Before I get any more tanked, thought i'd post something up from a discussion i've had with another 4x4 buddy today. I'm doing this with another wild turkey tinnie next to me, so excuse any spelling or grammar abnormalities.... typing under influence.

I bought this rig as a brand spanka exactly 2 years ago. Initial purpose was just a general family dual cab ute as well as my everyday drive. Seriously for $30k on-road, if this is not the best bank-for-buck 4x4 ute out there, I'll be damned.
Very soon after purchase, I got sucked into a world of 4x4-ing and modding. Two wallet-thumping years later, I'm now stuck with a rather decked out 22, which I'm not even sure I'm happy with... or am I.

I'm not after a super-raised, off-road go-anywhere monster that I can stick 35"+ rubber on and go rip up any terrain I choose. Rather, I'd like a nice DC ute with a bit of lift, smooth & comfortable ride, without having to go rob a bank to pay for it all, or without anticipating the next dip or pothole in the road with my teeth clenched (yes thats what im doing at the moment).

Everything else on the ute to me is perfect and just the way i want it, and I really mean that. But that f**** IFS torsion suspended bullshit front-end is just doing my nuts in... Seriously I'm so fed up with it, that lately I just grab the wives car for most trips, I just dont bother with the Nav. After all the $ and time spent trying to get it right, it seems futile...

Am i expecting too much ??

PS If this thing was coil suspended... (I won't even go there)

PPS If I got hooked into 4x4-ing before I bought the nav I wouldn't be on this forum...

It's been my experience that the more you lift the IFS front end of the D22 the worse you make the ride, 40mm above stock is about as much as my comfort level can take.

How much lift are you running?

No idea how much exactly it's lifted above it's stock factory height as I lost initial measurements. It's definitely 40-50mm. As per my other thread...
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=17168
I won't know why she rides so rough until that is resolved.

But I was just asking in general, maybe I am expecting too much from the girl. I don't know.

Yeah, your never going to get much of a smooth ride out of a lifted IFS/leaf rear truck . What tire pressure do you run? I find mine is always a bit smoother with less pressure in the tires, but it still doesn't compare to a normal sedan or wagon.

Yeah, your never going to get much of a smooth ride out of a lifted IFS/leaf rear truck . What tire pressure do you run? I find mine is always a bit smoother with less pressure in the tires, but it still doesn't compare to a normal sedan or wagon.

X2 have a play with air pressure, a few psi less can make a real difference.

My first navara (D22) had a 3 inch lift, my one now is just stock, it wallows a bit but at least I don't get shaken around in it.

you could go and drive a new one see if its any better or your mind just used to it.

Decent shocks made all the difference in mine, they're only pedders tho.

I found alloy wheels made a difference too, could be psycological, but it felt better when i wasnt expecting any difference at all.
On paper a reduction in unsprung weight will allow the suspension to react faster to bumps. Lighter tyres would help in that department too.

Apart from that, take a teaspoon of cement and see if that helps.

shocks and wheel weight makes a big difference.
also the more 4x4 capable you make it the worse on road it gets, not matter what vehicle you have.

you may look at changing the torsion bars to a different type also, what type are in there atm?

all of above plus torsion front end sucks big hairy ball sacks period.

Totally agree mate. I just wish I was more aware of different suspension concepts prior to handing over the cash for this thing. But stupid and naive and overwhelmed in just owning a new 4x4 ute i was, not thinking clearly.

you may look at changing the torsion bars to a different type also, what type are in there atm?

They are whatever ARB put in, when i got their heavy duty lift. So it's an OME of some type. I don't know if they have different grades of torsion bars though or, if it's one type fits all.

SAS it......

No chance. Considering the engineering bullshit I'd have to go through here in Vic, it would be stupid to do. Besides, I don't want to spend much more $ on this thing, let alone for a SAS set-up LOL.

No chance. Considering the engineering bullshit I'd have to go through here in Vic, it would be stupid to do. Besides, I don't want to spend much more $ on this thing, let alone for a SAS set-up LOL.

Just thought i would throw it out there.

Just thought i would throw it out there.

Definitely looked at it mate from Calmini. Considering how much the suspension cost me so far, a SAS right from the beginning would have been a much more viable option, but too late now.

I hear you about not knowing about torsion bars etc, I would have been in the same boat as you.
Im sure there would have to be a sweet spot somewhere with tyre pressures and shocks may just take a while to find out what mix suits you

I'd say the heavy duty arb torsion bars have taken away the suspensions ability to absorb bumps, instead they just transfer the hit straight to the chassis. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this D22, it had coiled live axles both ends and did not ride better than my stock torsion- barred D22.

Dunno much about the 22 and can't really help but what I do know after having a torsion bar suspended rodeo for many years I will never buy a torsion bar truck again. Hate the bloody things.

No idea how much exactly it's lifted above it's stock factory height as I lost initial measurements. It's definitely 40-50mm. As per my other thread...
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=17168
I won't know why she rides so rough until that is resolved.

But I was just asking in general, maybe I am expecting too much from the girl. I don't know.

I think it will be hard to diagnose until you sort out the UCA/shock issue - but I imagine that will feel a lot better when sorted.

I think it will be hard to diagnose until you sort out the UCA/shock issue - but I imagine that will feel a lot better when sorted.

Which is what I'm now waiting on, the correct shocks to arrive, and then that will put the shocks theory to test. Right now I'm really hoping they make a difference, and everything is pointing to the fact they will but until then, who knows.

Latest posts

Back