AM radio interferance

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

308bever

Reaction score
fitted an LED light bar recently and just discovered that it makes AM radio staticy, i also have normal driving lights which are wired exactly the same way but do not cause any interferance, it`s only on AM which i still like when out in the bush, what do i do? ferrous rings on something perhaps? thanks in advance (((-;

fitted an LED light bar recently and just discovered that it makes AM radio staticy, i also have normal driving lights which are wired exactly the same way but do not cause any interferance, it`s only on AM which i still like when out in the bush, what do i do? ferrous rings on something perhaps? thanks in advance (((-;
Have you earthed the light bar direct to the battery?, if not it may help.

It's the driver circuit in the LEDs themselves. Often, the LEDs don't shine all the time - they're powered at a higher voltage than they should be, but switched on and off rapidly (I have a torch like this, and you can see the strobing at night when there's dust or mist in the air).

It might also be the voltage protection circuit. If yours can be driven at 12 or 24V, there's a circuit that manages the incoming voltage and produces an appropriate output for the CREEs.

None of these circuits are needed for halogen driving lights - which are nothing more than a very thin tungsten wire bathed in a halogen gas (like iodine or bromine).

Can you stop the interference? Perhaps by using an appropriate balun. Malicious would be good to ask about this.

I only use a 36watt rear floodlight LED powered floodlight. The + was always the welding cable direct to the battery, the earth as I was lazy was mounted to the chassis given the lower current draw. I had the same trouble as bever with am in the scrub, moving the earth direct made the noise "ok". But I don't use or need any LED bars, sure the light is great but at times I think distracting and I have gone back to what I have used for a very long time and can see and react quicker. Never would I run a powerful LED bar on the roof. But that's my personal choice, and I understand plenty love them.

LED's are notorious for Radio frequency interference. As Tony mentioned the driver circuit and the LED itself can generate the noise. The LED itself is basically a half wave rectifier. It comes down to how well the assembly is shielded. There can be noise radiated from the power supply, the positive side wire to the supply too. Before mucking around with ferrite balans you could try shielding the power lead. That could involve something as simple as having the supply, the Pos. and Neg. twisted. i.e the negative provides some shielding to the positive wire. Heavy duty coaxial cable as power lead is an old trick to. If the casing is metal you could try using a braided earth strap from the body of the unit to the chassis.

Good luck with it.

i think she`s earthed as well as can be done, i`ll have another look though, thanks all (((-:

Advice advice advice

Sometimes it pays to listen to people that have got the problem!!!!

One of my favourite radio stations is ABC News Radio - it's on the AM band in Newy. And I've got a couple of LED lights!

attachment.php

I get the interference from either set of LED lights. The light bar on the front has a solid aluminium heatsink on the back so RF emissions towards the cabin should be minimised - the interference is probably being induced in the power cable. It might be backfeed from the driver circuit - I wonder what a pair of diodes on the power cable (inside the light bar) would do?

Attachments

• IMG_8795-resized.jpg
    IMG_8795-resized.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 198
Maybe on to something OT... I may just try that and let YOU know!!!!
The interference in mine has only been there since my new antenna (Radio) has been installed.

Before the installation had no interference....

But crikey drives me Birko sometimes...

Will keep everybody updated... I have tried so many things
To rectify the problem.

Peace

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back