Another happy customer.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CozaB

Reaction score
Hey guys, only had my d40 6 months now, it's been a good 5 months, and now the problems have started. Bout 5-6 days ago, the abs light came on, then the day after that the car started having power surges and rev fluctuation down low. It does it nearly every time it gets started for the first 5 mins or 200-500m etc, then it drives normally. Then went to engage 4wd this morning and it won't engage 4H or 4L. As of last the night the best fault started, the speedo is now reading all over the shop. I'm Doing roughly 60, speedo says 20 or 30. Last night I was doing 100 and the speedo went from 100 to 40 to 70 to 90 and back to 100. I never changed speed, this is the best fault since it could cause me a fine, and I have to drive everywhere a little slower then everyone else so I know im under the limit. It just goes and comes, the faults that is. Except the abs light which has now become permanent. Rang and booked it in at Mackay Nissan, who said the earliest date was the 12th next month, 3 weeks away at the time. After the speedo drama started last night, I rang Again this morning and asked/pleaded to see if it could be done earlier. Their response was to put the service manger on, so she could say, essentially, tough shit it's the twelfth or nothing. If you feel its dangerous to drive it with the speedo how it is, don't drive it. Now I need this car, it's my sole transportation between home and work. And to top it all off, I'm supposed to be leaving for cape York on the first week of august!! A trip that's been 6 months in the planning. Not a happy camper at the moment, definetly won't be buying another Nissan unless it's a 4.2 patrol. Which is what I had before the navara, and wish I still had. - Coza

Sounds to me like your ABS sensors have a problem. The speedo takes its data from an aggregate of the info from the ABS sensors, so that explains the weird speedo.

It could be dirt/muck/something in the sensor, or it could be a damaged wire to the sensor.

To resolve the problem for the immediate future, why not use the speed indicator on a GPS unit? They're accurate to within 1%.

The Hi-Lo range is disabled because of the ABS fault. It's piss poor customer service, did you buy it from them?

Have you tried another Nissan. Ring their customer number and blast them to say you need it now.

Thanks guys for the replies, first thing I'm doing tomorrow is checking and cleaning the abs sensors and checking all the wires. Already done the wire check once after the suspension lift, but I'll just double check it. Hopefully I can find a solution, what's troubling about what I've just read though, is if the abs fails, so does my speedo and four wheel drive. If a little bit of mud can do that.... Sigh....I'm not looking forward to the cape trip.

- Coz

Ps. Next nearest Nissan dealers are 3.5 south and 4 hours north. Yay.

Thanks guys for the replies, first thing I'm doing tomorrow is checking and cleaning the abs sensors and checking all the wires. Already done the wire check once after the suspension lift, but I'll just double check it. Hopefully I can find a solution, what's troubling about what I've just read though, is if the abs fails, so does my speedo and four wheel drive. If a little bit of mud can do that.... Sigh....I'm not looking forward to the cape trip.

- Coz

Ps. Next nearest Nissan dealers are 3.5 south and 4 hours north. Yay.

I wouldn't be worrying too much about a bit of mud/water/gunk etc....I've been just about everywhere in mine and not a problem. Like Old Tony says this is likely to be an abs sensor issue and should be relatively easy to fix. A hit for your Cape trip......when you get to the start of the OTL or prior to your first sojourn in the water/mud pack the plug at the back of your transfer case with lost of vaseline or waterproof (ie outboard motor) grease....this is the plug from you 4WD selector switch to actuate you tranfer case - if this plug gets full of water it can be a long wait to dry out before you can travel on the bitumen again. Also put a can of contact cleaner in your tool box along with a can of lanotec.

Latest posts

Back