Another Loss of Power Tread

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum!

I'd look at the turbo actuator too. You can shine a torch in there, at idle it will move in and out (which is up and down) about 3-5mm almost randomly if the system is working properly.

I have a D40 126kW auto. My car with just me in it and about 90L of fuel weighs 2660Kg - she's got a lot of extras on her, and hills do slow her somewhat. My driving style is probably different to yours, and usually I'll let her lose speed as I climb the hill so that I don't over-exert the car or use too much fuel.

However, if I stomp on it, things are different. She kicks down gear, RPM and fuel flow rise dramatically and the car surges. You really do know it's working. She'll kick down with the caravan behind her as well - acceleration depends on how steep the hill is, because an extra 2550Kg really makes a difference!

I also noticed that above 125km/h (even with a 1.8T caravan on the back) the TCC won't disengage, the car doesn't slow it just pulls harder in top gear.

It could be that your TCC isn't disengaging too. Here's a way to check: drive the car on a long, fairly level section of road and accelerate mildly up to 80km/h. At some point you'll see the RPM drop to around 1500 or so. Sit there for a few seconds, then lightly press the throttle. It should just pull a little, RPM should only just move a little upwards.

Press the throttle all the way. Does it kick back a gear or two?

Well gents, thank you for all your suggestions.

Luckily for me it was an easy fix that cost less than $10 :)

Got the wife to turn the engine over, but the turbo actuator wasn't moving, after the usual troubleshooting steps, it turned out to be the hose going from the vacuum pump to the boost control solenoid valve... So down to repco I went and 10 buck later, i've think I've made my best vechile purchase yet!

I drove close to 500kms with no turbo from buying it driving it home and tried to convince myself it must be normal since it's a heavy-ish car with a small engine.... I was mistaken.

So I feel a bit sorry for the previous owner, he sold it dirt cheap (like 10k less that market value and had arb canopy, nissan winch bar and snorkel etc.) and it's a one owner and in showroom condition! He would kick himself if I told him!

So I look forward to the many trips and improvements to make on my new Nav.

Can you hear the turbo spoiling now :D very good news. You would think that when it got its last service the mechanic would have picked up on that one.

Yes the turbo has a nice little whistle to it now! Just after I fitted the hose, I gave it a bit too much curry turning into a corner from being stationary. Bloody thing spun the wheels and kicked the back end out :) felt like I was 17 again....

I think the guy had is so called "mechanic" brother service it the last couple of times... I'll get a pro to service it in future... So you can also get the service spanner icon cleared too.

Good to hear it's sorted now, when I first bought mine I was amazed at how quick it was for a heavy 2.5 diesel.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd look at the turbo actuator too. You can shine a torch in there, at idle it will move in and out (which is up and down) about 3-5mm almost randomly if the system is working properly.

I have a D40 126kW auto. My car with just me in it and about 90L of fuel weighs 2660Kg - she's got a lot of extras on her, and hills do slow her somewhat. My driving style is probably different to yours, and usually I'll let her lose speed as I climb the hill so that I don't over-exert the car or use too much fuel.

However, if I stomp on it, things are different. She kicks down gear, RPM and fuel flow rise dramatically and the car surges. You really do know it's working. She'll kick down with the caravan behind her as well - acceleration depends on how steep the hill is, because an extra 2550Kg really makes a difference!

I also noticed that above 125km/h (even with a 1.8T caravan on the back) the TCC won't disengage, the car doesn't slow it just pulls harder in top gear.

It could be that your TCC isn't disengaging too. Here's a way to check: drive the car on a long, fairly level section of road and accelerate mildly up to 80km/h. At some point you'll see the RPM drop to around 1500 or so. Sit there for a few seconds, then lightly press the throttle. It should just pull a little, RPM should only just move a little upwards.

Press the throttle all the way. Does it kick back a gear or two?

Thanks Tony. I tried you suggestion RE the TCC, kicks down fine. In the end it was the vacuum hose off the pump, so it wasn't spooling correctly.

Just though I'd post a photo of the hose. Definitely looks like a cut...

Attachments

• IMG_20141022_194237535.jpg
    IMG_20141022_194237535.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 68
I still don't get how the previous owner didn't notice... driving around in essentially a NA 2.5L diesel!

It was like that under the plastic sleeve.You would hope it wasn't out of the factory like that.

Nope... was owned by a 70+ year old and the thing hasn't been touched... It's still got the bloody Nissan branded battery haha. The auxiliary audio cable was still in the plastic bag :)

Torque is constaintly measuring rear wheel KWs at high 120s in the cool night air.now its summer ive turned it all back down...too much smoke and too much unwanted heat.its getting there but my turbo is running out of puff!! Need a bigger one but need to finnish building my house first....

Sounds just like me mate. Just moved into new house about 3 weeks ago... Doing all the landscaping, fencing, gates, shed and painting myself... A lot of work (and money)...
Did the painting before we moved in, just need to do the doors. Front yard and fencing done last week, just have a massive sand pit in the back now :)

Ive got a long way to go to get to that stage....frame is due to arrive next week...so far its a total money pit..so many unexpected costs!!

So as the walls go up im doing all the yard work too.probs finnish the interior paint too as i dont have high hopes in the companys abilitys.even the sales rep said redo it yourself when you move in

I agree with that about the painting. Our first house we built, the painting was included in the contract; I regret it. Cost $15,000 and was s@#t.

So this second house we knew the process and painted it ourselves and did a better Job... even the builder commented on the quality of the job.

It is a lot of work though, 2.5 weeks solid. The prep is the biggest factor. You just can't skimp on the prep...

Back