ARB Tyre Deflator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallaby

Reaction score
I went to price Staun Deflators at my local 4WD shop, the other day, and they wanted over $90. The guy told me that he personally used the ARB Deflator which was cheaper and way faster so I went over there and bought one for $67.00.

If you are not familiar with it, the ARB item works very quickly by removing the valve and holding it inside itself until you have achieved the desired pressure. Then it's screwed back in and you move on to the next tyre. It's amazingly quick, less than a minute per tyre from say 40psi to 20psi.

While I've not used the Stauns, the ARB approach appears much more flexible, no need to pre-set anything. If you want 25psi today and 15psi tomorrow, you can just do it.

You also get a very accurate tire gauge into the bargain and a bright orange wallet that will hang ready for action on that spare hook behind your LHS rear seat.

I went to price Staun Deflators at my local 4WD shop, the other day, and they wanted over $90. The guy told me that he personally used the ARB Deflator which was cheaper and way faster so I went over there and bought one for $67.00.

If you are not familiar with it, the ARB item works very quickly by removing the valve and holding it inside itself until you have achieved the desired pressure. Then it's screwed back in and you move on to the next tyre. It's amazingly quick, less than a minute per tyre from say 40psi to 20psi.

While I've not used the Stauns, the ARB approach appears much more flexible, no need to pre-set anything. If you want 25psi today and 15psi tomorrow, you can just do it.

You also get a very accurate tire gauge into the bargain and a bright orange wallet that will hang ready for action on that spare hook behind your LHS rear seat.

Wall

I have Stauns and think they are great. I have two set at 18psi and 2 at 25 psi. This covers me for most occasions. I wouldn't be able to live without them because while they are deflating i do other things around the car or van. Oh, and they only cost me $65.

Having said that, I have asked the handbrake for a ARB (type) deflator for Xmas

I have had the arb deflator for a while and love it too, I got a set of stauns about 6 months ago swell but I honestly haven't even used them yet, I keep getting the arb out.

Beware though! Carry some spare valve stems, I accidentally dropped one out into the sand and lost it one day. It can happen!

Once you have calibrated them. The Stauns are quickest, screw them on and drive off, they happily deflate while on the move.

I have one also and rate it highly. Thanks for the tip on storing the pouch
How did you manage to drop a valve in the sand King? It is well secured in the barrel thats screwed onto the valve stem, and unless you unscrew the barrel from the stem without first re-installing the valve stem? Then you would have a dead flat tyre which is not good for anything!

I guess it can happen but very unlikely once you have used it a few times

I have one also and rate it highly. Thanks for the tip on storing the pouch
How did you manage to drop a valve in the sand King? It is well secured in the barrel thats screwed onto the valve stem, and unless you unscrew the barrel from the stem without first re-installing the valve stem? Then you would have a dead flat tyre which is not good for anything!

I guess it can happen but very unlikely once you have used it a few times

Yeah exactly that, I thought I had screwed the valve stem back in as it went tight, but must have bound up in there somewhere. It didn't start pissing out air until I had fully unscrewed the deflator, and the valve stem shot out with the air. I was pretty well stuck up a nasty hill though so probably never would have happened if I was on nice flat ground, and yep the tyre went completely flat, lucky I had a compressor on board too. All in good fun and a lesson learnt for sure lol.

Yea,i've seen yours in action,impressive.
How do you calibrate them?

Hi Ian, You must be getting toey for some offroad action?

They have a adjusting lock nut on a thread that adjusts the spring tension, same principle as a aircompressor regulator.
Basically you deflate a tyre down to the desired pressure eg. 15psi for sand. Then you screw on the Staun, and adjust the nut until air starts to escape. You then give it a half turn back the other way. Thats all there is to it.

You can have all 4 set to one pressure or have say 2 for sand(15) and 2 for mud/rocks(25).

Hi Ian, You must be getting toey for some offroad action?

They have a adjusting lock nut on a thread that adjusts the spring tension, same principle as a aircompressor regulator.
Basically you deflate a tyre down to the desired pressure eg. 15psi for sand. Then you screw on the Staun, and adjust the nut until air starts to escape. You then give it a half turn back the other way. Thats all there is to it.

You can have all 4 set to one pressure or have say 2 for sand(15) and 2 for mud/rocks(25).

Yep toey for sure,hopefully they open more tracks soon to make it worthwhile.Alot of repairs needed after all the rain.I hear the Wonangatta was interesting on cup weekend.
Stauns are on the shopping list.

I always worry with the ARB that I will wreck the thread in the valve from constant screwing and unscrewing. I know I should but I never think to carry spares. I like the idea of the stauns much better.

Once you have calibrated them. The Stauns are quickest, screw them on and drive off, they happily deflate while on the move.

I've got the Stauns as well, but after reading what Staun themselves say about driving while deflating, which is DON'T, and backed up by a few other owners, I just wait by the side of the road for them to do their their thing. But whether this is being over cautious is a matter for debate of course.

I have the ARB deflator as well, I find it's pretty quick. I do carry spare valves as well just in case I bugger one or two up.

Cheers Brad

I just graduated from a sharp rock, to one of the SCA deflators, ($30) They screw on to the valve, then you push the collar in and the valve is depressed causing the tyre to deflate. You just release the collar to check the guage. I have checked this against a quality guage and it is reasonable. Not the rolls royce but I'm happy with it.

Personally I like the idea of choosing the pressure on the fly. Last time on the beach, we only needed to get down to 25psi despite very soft sand. Coming back out on a moderately rough track, we were able to get back safely to town and use the roadhouse compressor to get the tyres back up to pressure for the bitumen. Too easy.

But it's all a matter of personal preference. If you are happy with the Staun's method, fine but if you are looking at purchasing tyre deflators for the first time, I'd suggest you look at the ARB product before handing over your dough.

I have one of the ARB tyre deflators and I love it.

I went into ARB to get some stauns, was going to set two for high and two for low pressure deflating. After some discussion with the guy there he sugested the arb one.

At the time the Arb was like $70 or so and the stauns were about $10 more so the price difference was negalble.

I enjoy the arb so i can set whatever psi i like, this being the main advanatage over the stauns etc. Some say the stauns are better cause you can setup and all your tyres are done without effort and its quicker but i find the arb one had me done in about as much time as my mate with stauns and i dident have to check them every month to make sure they were set corectly.

anyway, thats my 2cents.

I always worry with the ARB that I will wreck the thread in the valve from constant screwing and unscrewing. I know I should but I never think to carry spares. I like the idea of the stauns much better.

My mate borrwed my arb and thought he fuycked a valve, turned out there was just sand in there.

If your carefull i dont think you will break anything, thats the only issue ive had with my arb and its done many of mine and my mates tyres.

Carrying spare's is also a good failsafe. when your out 4wding its allways good to take precautions like proper spares etc. If worst comes to worst you can allways thro on the spare tyre and if you dont have a spare tyre you should not be out anyway.

I've been using the ARB Deflator for over two years and it cost me $45 when i bought it. I let my tyres down for beach & bush all the time & I have never had a problem with it or the valves. It is a very accurate gauge & i have been quite impressed with its performance. The only problem is that when your mates figure out that you've got one they all sit around waiting until you have finished letting your tyres down so that they can use it on theirs.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back