Auto vs Manual locking hubs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndour

Reaction score
hello people!!

While my camio is at auto elec store getting fixed some problems, I've been looking about some parts to invest in maintenance, preparing the d22 for the coming long term travels im planning to do.

So discussing with a friend, we couldn't stat what hubs is better. I didn't find any bad information about D22 auto hub(what is factory option in my D22) or any real bad information about auto lock hubs.

So my question is worth the money to change to manual hubs?? are auto hubs bad in long terms?? is there any real gain on changing to manual hubs?? with auto hubs the wearing of drivetrain is big??

My D22 has 130000 kms on the clock and auto hubs, 40000kms with me under tons of offroad kms of dirt, mud, sand, dust, rocks, etc. and neva had a problem with 4wd ever.

Sorry if this topic have been discussed, but I couldn't find any clear topic about this.

Greetings

I prefer manual hubs as they r easier to fix and do not rely on an electrical component.
I have heard bad things about some auto hubs unlocking themselves when under pressure.

But I am jealous of my mates when they don't have to get out in the stinking heat or rain to lock or unlock them.

d22's either come with manual hubs or no hubs at all. no factory auto hub.
auto hubs will depend on what ever manufacture it is. i think AVM make some auto's for the d22.

prefer manual hubs, they are reliable.

Go manual hubs, 2wd low range is handy as hell for reversing trailers up driveways and pulling boats out.

I got a d40 and I dream about manual hubs.

d22's either come with manual hubs or no hubs at all. no factory auto hub.
auto hubs will depend on what ever manufacture it is. i think AVM make some auto's for the d22.

prefer manual hubs, they are reliable.

If it is not equiping auto hubs... why i dont have to go outside the D22 to engage 4x4?? please explain yourself so i can learn something new.

If i choose manual hubs, is there any brand to point over anothers?

Greetings

If it is not equiping auto hubs... why i dont have to go outside the D22 to engage 4x4?? please explain yourself so i can learn something new.

If i choose manual hubs, is there any brand to point over anothers?

Greetings

the reason you don't have to go outside and lock the hubs for 4x4, is there is no locking hub its basically locked already.
in normal 2wd your still pushing the front driveline around (for nothing). the uk models never had locking hubs and nissan came out with a heavy duty prop shaft because they where wearing out due to the constant use.
a proper fix is to fit locking hubs so you can unlock them and the front driveline doesn't get used in 2wd.

should be plenty of wrecks around you can get factory ones off. they are probably the stronger ones.

to give some idea of different stystems, bosses new ford has electric locking hubs.
my old toyota has ADD system (mitsi and some other i think use the same setup). no locking hubs but the diff unlocks. the front shafts and cv's still get pushed around but front prop shaft stays still.
even then fitting manual hubs saves fuel and wear.

Locking hubs

Anybody know if these are locked hubs?

Attachments

• CIMG3864.JPG
    CIMG3864.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 155
  • CIMG3865.JPG
    CIMG3865.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 140
Yep, they locked. Easy 10 min swap, I did it as single cab comes as per your pic so I had to do mine.

AVM for hubs

After getting many mixed reports on Aftermarket hubs.Is it possible to mount Nissan factory free run hubs.To Locked type hubs.If so could they be got used,or What Nissan Dealer AU.Have close freind in AU,to help but knows nothing about trucks.Thanks Much

There 28 splines,just like navraras in your country.Warn hubs have been used in the USA for over 50 years.In the USA they are better then any aftermarket hubs .People say the best are still stock Nissan.In my case,unable to find,factory Nissan hubs.As in the USA they have not made the Frontier(Navrara) since 2004.They where cheap 185.00$ USA.

got my free wheel hubs today also, i have been driving the truck 13 years with fixed hubs (without problems and my consumption isnt any bad, 9,7litres per 100 kilometers, would be good to see how they manage
kinda disturbed i will have to lock them outside everytime, if they give me results i will get automatic definately
20150428_163512.jpg

20150428_163518.jpg

got my free wheel hubs today also, i have been driving the truck 13 years with fixed hubs (without problems and my consumption isnt any bad, 9,7litres per 100 kilometers, would be good to see how they manage
kinda disturbed i will have to lock them outside everytime, if they give me results i will get automatic definately
20150428_163512.jpg

20150428_163518.jpg
You can leave them locked all the time if you want to though haha. Or just unlock them if you know you won't be doing any offroading

You can leave them locked all the time if you want to though haha. Or just unlock them if you know you won't be doing any offroading
yeah thats all we do. lock them if there is a faint chance you may need 4x4. then unlock them when you get back on to the road.

yes fitted them today and my fear was that i would have to take the wheel caps (those with nissan emblem on) everytime but i found out there is a special cap with a hole where the key to lock and free is so i dont have to do that
in europe the d22's we got are with fixed hubs all the time rotating the halfshafts, which i had no idea until i joined this and the european forum and seems decent upgrade
will report back fuel consumption when i get a good reading, so far there seems to be less drag which i can feel on the steering wheel, still trying to learn the feeling

Mine also had fixed locked hubs (Mexico Made) I put WARN hubs on,best mod I have done to truck.2014 NP300 frontier. Miles per gallon went up 2-3. What brand hubs did you get.

Latest posts

Back