bang for buck engine mods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobs

Reaction score
hay guy im a bit new to the 4x4 scene mainly been a V8 street car guy but just wondering what are some of the best bang for buck engine mod. I own a 05 d22 nav with a ZD30 motor. its all in stock form just wanting to get the most out of it without breaking the bank. im also a mechanical fitter by trade so will be doing the work myself. any help or tip and hint would be great

cheers mobs

water methanol injection.

but fit, catch can, EGR block, Turbo timer, pyro and boost gauage

water meth injection sounds a bit much for me at the moment the nav is just my daily and weekender but yeah been lookin on the net for the thinks you said. where can I buy a egr blank plate from or am I better off just making one at work

water methanol can be purchased from the states for around 400 full setup. Chip are 800-1200 usally for a decent one, exhaust 500-700 or so

EGR plates can be purchased on ebay or you can make one easily.

Make one mate, took me about 10 mins, if you have a drill and a grinder you'll be right. I've been looking into similar mods too and so far ive come up with a 3" exhaust, Pre filter bypass pipe and an intercooler sometime in the near future. hope that gives you some ideas

I had a look at those pre filter bypass pipes on ebay last night but got me a lil bit confused do you need to have a snorkel to run the bypass or can you just have the bypass by its self sucking cooler air from the guard cavity?

Defiantly make your egr blanking plate, easy as.. Exhaust 3inch turbo back. Or if ur going real cheap an nasty cut the boxes out hah. Air box? I changed mine (old ute was a d22 3L)to a k&n pod filter with an extra dust sock, oil catch can (make it) if your gonna be off road n dusty then leave box and get a snorkel. If you have some kind of budget they would love an intercooler. We can all tell stories about our cars but when I had my d22 I ozziefied it cheap n nasty and it was an awesome ute. Sold it to a local bloke at 280000 and done plenty more.

I had a look at those pre filter bypass pipes on ebay last night but got me a lil bit confused do you need to have a snorkel to run the bypass or can you just have the bypass by its self sucking cooler air from the guard cavity?

You dont need a snorkel it removes the prefilter to breath air from the guard or a snorkel. .... I re- worded the add let me know if its better

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300921406261

thanks for clearin up the bypass drama mate I was 99% sure ya didn't need a snorkel and check the add two it reads heaps better thanks ill be buying one in the next few weeks along with the catch can units you do

The chip will return the biggest gain in power. I run a Chip it and it made a huge difference to the Nav

On the ZD30, all the chips really do the same thing, open the spill valve for a little bit longer, depending on your thottle position. The common rails seem to have the dangerous, safe and safer options when it comes to their chips.

So you can get a $150 one, and fit an egt gauge and be the "safe guard" for your ute or buy a $1800 one that comes with an egt gauge that cuts the chip out if it gets into the danger zone.

i think a new exhaust, 2.5'' or 3'' from the turbo back is good for the zd30's as well. i did that before anything else and would probably do it first again if i started all over again .

chip wise im lookin at the chip express chip from what im reading in other treads they sound pretty good and wont break the bank. but yeah first main mod ill be doing is the exhaust got a price from a mate who works at a exhaust place for a manta 3" system turbo back 1k fitted and that's with out my 20% discount

Mobs,

does that system come with a dump pipe, cat, and muffler? For 1k I would hope so! I brought a dump pipe with a cat on it off ebay and had a 2.5" custom made with a sports muffler for around 700. Old mate at the the shop reckons he would have have done the whole system for 600 without a cat if I'd come to him straight up.

Is a catch can on the ZD30 that good of a mod? I asked the diesel mechanics at work if I should put 1 on mine and he said "nah its filtered oil it wont hurt it!"

On the ZD30, all the chips really do the same thing, open the spill valve for a little bit longer, depending on your thottle position. The common rails seem to have the dangerous, safe and safer options when it comes to their chips.

So you can get a $150 one, and fit an egt gauge and be the "safe guard" for your ute or buy a $1800 one that comes with an egt gauge that cuts the chip out if it gets into the danger zone.

i think a new exhaust, 2.5'' or 3'' from the turbo back is good for the zd30's as well. i did that before anything else and would probably do it first again if i started all over again .

spill valve?

hay guy im a bit new to the 4x4 scene mainly been a V8 street car guy but just wondering what are some of the best bang for buck engine mod. I own a 05 d22 nav with a ZD30 motor. its all in stock form just wanting to get the most out of it without breaking the bank. im also a mechanical fitter by trade so will be doing the work myself. any help or tip and hint would be great

cheers mobs

Check out 3 bar racing's basic manual boost controller, it's not expensive, easy to fit and does it's job. I fitted one to mine and I'm happy I did, it retains more boost under the peak by eliminating the waste gate creeping open too early, also adjustable if you have a need to increase your boost in the future (other mods needed) I set mine to 17psi so far but as mine is stock I may tweak it down to 15psi as per standard boost.

imo the best mod i have done is the 80 series air box conversion i think that coupled together with a snorkel and 3inch turbo back exhaust
has really changed the way my ute takes off and sounds good as well

Attachments

• iphone pics 854.jpg
    iphone pics 854.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts

Back