battery short out now wont run?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson 6125

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to this forum and the d22s. Just seeing if someone could give me any pointers in the rite direction. Yesterday I was installing a intercooler fan on my 2013 d22 last thing I did was connest my possitive wire up as I was doing this I slipped and earthed out onto the motor with my spanner, I didnt think much of it at the time but when I went to crank it over it doesnt fire and the one time it did it made a horrible clunking noise that to me sounded like the injectores so I obviously turned it off straight away. 2 weeks ago I got a chipit chip installed which iv had no problems with but I thought because I had shorted the battery out its gone to the chip and blew a fuse. So I took it off and put the plug that comes in the chipit box to overite the system so I could still use it without the chip, still no luck and iv checked the fuses that I thought could be a issue but there all good? Im so confused, if anyone could help me out id be much appreciative

Cheers Tyson

Have you checked the fuses under the bonnet.
My son shorted mine out a while ago and it blew the 100 amp battery fuse. It's in the fuse holder near the battery on the drivers side of the vehicle.

Have you checked the fuses under the bonnet.
My son shorted mine out a while ago and it blew the 100 amp battery fuse. It's in the fuse holder near the battery on the drivers side of the vehicle.

Yeah mate thats fine, I just really hope I haven't fried the computer, I just cant beleive how such a little thing can cause so much hassle

Welcome aboard, Tyson.

I'd try a different battery first (must be 600CCA or higher to turn the diesel over). There's a chance you've damaged a cell in the battery. A short from the actual positive terminal to the earth of the car shouldn't damage any computer or blow any fuses, because the power runs along your spanner into the car body and back up the earth cable into the battery. In order for power to destroy something, it has to run THROUGH that thing (although it's fair enough to say that spikes are nobody's friend!).

Test the fuse in the engine Bay with a multimeter or even a simple light globe tester just to see that power is still going through all the fuses. Happened to me whilst working on my old 4runner. Arced the batt with a spanner, looked like all of the fuses were fine but one was completely gone. Had me completely stumped, towed it to the auto elec and was fixed with in 3 minutes.

^^ Good idea.
Put a bit load on the fuse. What might be alright with milli volts going thru it can be open circuit once you put a bit of load on it.

Good luck. Hope your ECM is ok.

Latest posts

Back