Best front shocks - Urgent replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Need to replace the front shocks after failure of existing (West Coast suspensions heavy duty) 1st @ 12 months, now again at 24 months, they are rubbish.

We have a 2002 ZD30 with heavy duty torsion bars, and sits about 25mm higher than standard.

The car does the lot, bitumen, corrugations, beach, and bush crawling / climbing.

Want a good all round performer that is going to last.

Are ready to buy, just need some feedback from experienced owners.

Cheers and beers :cheers!:

Bilstein. Still trying to find some to suit the calmini arms. Have efs atm but bilstein are gonna go up front. Have Rancho adjustable in the rear and they work great

I done $hitloads of research on this before i purchased mine and had even ordered Bilstein shocks until i spoke to a factory rep for the company and got what i call an honest answer from someone in sales , who said , bilstein , fantastic shock , but not for Australian conditions , that was enough for me , so i went tough dog and am very happy

I done $hitloads of research on this before i purchased mine and had even ordered Bilstein shocks until i spoke to a factory rep for the company and got what i call an honest answer from someone in sales , who said , bilstein , fantastic shock , but not for Australian conditions , that was enough for me , so i went tough dog and am very happy

Thats salesman B.S. Bilsteins are adjustable, they will suit anything, anywhere if tuned correctly.

Thats salesman B.S. Bilsteins are adjustable, they will suit anything, anywhere if tuned correctly.

That was bilstein Australia , and THATS reason they don't import the adjustale front struts for D-40 AND EVERYONE GETS THEM FROM OVER SEAS , you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out , if they were so confident in their product for Australian conditions dont you think they would be selling them here ?

Go Bilstein. I bought mine from the USA and they were $80 each USD. Freight was reasonable and ordered on line, they were on my door in 4 Days.

They transform how a D22 rides.

Greg

Go Bilstein. I bought mine from the USA and they were $80 each USD. Freight was reasonable and ordered on line, they were on my door in 4 Days.

They transform how a D22 rides.

Greg

look up Eshocks and choose Nissan frontier 4wd up to 2004 from memory, they are the same as our D22 utes.

Greg

Look , I've got nothing against Bilstein , as i said i ordered a set , but when the Australian distributor advises you not to buy them for a specific purpose , you have to listen , and the blokes that run them , that's fine too , but the guy that started this post asked a specific question , so it would be a bit remiss not pointing this out

Hi Fella's

I have Bilstein shocks fitted front and rear on my d22 and I have driven on outback road with corrugation and had no problems.Everyone will have different ideas on what shocks to fit
Just remember if you order from o/s you my not get warranty here in Aus

Shane

A mono tube shock and yes Bilstien is a mono tube. Reason- they will give the best heat dissipation on corrugated roads = less fade.

Dissipating heat, the kinetic energy from the spring is the shock absorbers job.

The down side of a mono tube is potential damage inflicted by flying stones. Not really an issue in the front but could be a problem for the rears however stone shields can be fitted to them.

my konis seem pretty good so far. got them from climax suspension. very good vendor. they do bilstein too.

That was bilstein Australia , and THATS reason they don't import the adjustale front struts for D-40 AND EVERYONE GETS THEM FROM OVER SEAS , you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out , if they were so confident in their product for Australian conditions dont you think they would be selling them here ?

Bilstein shocks are self adjusting. The 5100 series are height adjustable as well. Was the Bilstein rep referring to the 5100 series only or all Bilstein shocks not being suitable for Australian conditions?

That's good, I have the non-height adjustable Bilstein's!

The suspension place offered to machine a groove for the clip to lift the spring seat.

Not sure how that would compare with the 5100 series??.

Sorry to be off topic. None of this matters for a D22.

Another vote here for Bilstein's. I previously had EFS front and rear, good shocks, but a bit hard and not the best for corrugations. The Bilstein's have transformed the way the D22 rides, I recently clocked up almost 10,000km on them, including the Gibb River Road and they performed flawlessly. They were $200 per shock from Zordo.

What Steve is saying is correct Bilstein 5100 are great for over seas where you use them for light weight uses. But in AUS once you bull bar and winch they start to break mounts. Talked to 4wd1 who sell both tough dog and Bilstein they recommend tough dog even tho Bilstein are more expensive.

Latest posts

Back