Best Tyres for Sand and Beaches

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so had the tyres fitted on wednesday, $1400 fitted (265/75/16 atz 4 rib).
very good looking tyre, pretty agressive tread for a non mud terrain, gets a little bit of a hum up on the smoother bitchumen around town but nothing too major.. pretty happy with them so far, cant wait to get them on the dirt this weekend..

My tyres have done 40 000km now and have about 50-60% tread left, and that's with doing allot of off road work most of it on rocky terrain.
keen to see what you think of them off road.
Nath

I agree with gadgets, as I understand it it's not grip it's surface area.

This was my understanding as well. The more chunky the tread, the more tendency for the loose sand to be flung aside = digging a deeper hole.

It's the very reason why everyone says to lower tyre pressures on sand - greater contact area. You COULD do it with MTs, but you'd have to lower the pressure more and not be too eager on the loud pedal.

BTW, now that you have your tyres and you're ready for the sand, do you have your compressor and deflator(s)? If 80% of your 4WDing is on sand, these would be essentials.

I agree with gadgets, as I understand it it's not grip it's surface area.

Yep, I'd agree with that statement too. I do lots of sand driving & its painfully obvious when the mud-tyre brigade had been driving the tracks - each dune will have large divets cut out of the track where they started digging in. To over come this happening with your spanking new MT you'll have to head straight down to 12psi - and then be real careful of the sidewalls (low pressures expose sidewalls to sharp rocks/ sticks etc).

I've got a set of bighorns with about 50% tread left, and I find them better on the sand than the bravo 771 a/t's mind you the bighorns are 265/75, and the a/t's were only 265/70, but the bighorns bag out a lot more and gave me a lot less hassle in the sand.

Both times I ran 18psi.

I have found its all in the tyre presures. The more plys (ie the light truck tires and muddies) need to be let down considerably more, as the side walls don't flex as easily.

Well thats my theory.

I am about to purchase a set of Hankook RF10's - from all reports I have found they are a great tyre - one thing to look for with these is to make sure you get the high load (8 ply) tyres.

I am about to purchase a set of Hankook RF10's - from all reports I have found they are a great tyre - one thing to look for with these is to make sure you get the high load (8 ply) tyres.

Size? Price?

After fitting, run straight out and try them in the sand for me - I like the look of these tyres too, so I'll be real interested to hear results

Rightio took the atz's for a cruise yesty arvo, had around 28 pound in them due to the corrigated road to get to the beach and went very well.. at the soft stuff lowered them to 16 and cant complain about them at all, went everywhere i wanted to go with no worries at all.. also climbed up this horrible looking section that is rocky with soft sand underneath with massive wash outs, plain nasty! and only seen my mate with a 4 inch lift with 33's in his patrol get up so fairly happy with that.. over all pretty pleased thus far.. definetly reccomend these tyres to someone looking for a good all terrain..

Latest posts

Back