Bilstein and dobinsons

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh mate not much down travel at all, I'm organising a body lift and upper control arms on my next break prob just gonna get zordo to do it all hopefully should help a lot.

I had mine serviced the other day and got my mechanic to check the down travel, they think the 2nd clip is preloading the spring too much and it's the shock limiting the down travel, not the UCA's. Zordo has told me that putting the spring back on the bottom clip with a small spacer would give more down travel, so that's my next move. If doing that then creates coil bucket contact, I'll look at UCA's but for now, UCA's may be money wasted if it's the shock limiting the travel and not the stock UCA's

Mine is great with the standard coils on the second clip,that's what these shocks were designed for .

Mine is great with the standard coils on the second clip,that's what these shocks were designed for .

interesting! i might try that. is that 2nd from the bottom or 2nd from the top? i had thought about trying with the std springs, but the dobinsons were only $200 so I bought them anyway.

also, what height did you achieve? do you have the bottom or rim to guard measurement handy?

cheers!

Last edited:
Yeah mate I went the 2nd clip from the bottom and it gave me 560mm from the centre of wheel to the guard. It definitely firmed the standard coils up and rides really good. My thoughts were that I may as well use them and where them out before I got another set of coils ,but i don't think I would get raised coils after using the standard ones,they are a bit softer and adapt to the extra preload better making it a better ride that's my thoughts any way.

No uca contact for me

Good to hear.

Now a real stupid question for you. how do you adjust the height? i understand that there is a ring that holds the bottom of the spring at a certain height but do you need someone to compress the spring further to raise the cerclip?

Cheers.

yes you would. i still haven't changed mine over just yet. i'm hoping i can take them out, put the complete strut in a hydraulic press and unload the clip then move it

i'm going to move mine to the bottom clip first and if it's still too firm, i'll swap the springs over to the factory ones on the 2nd clip

yeah mate, way too much! as we found out the Bilstein 5100's on their bottom clip give 15 or 30mm lift (I can't remember how much), putting 40mm raised coils in on the 2nd clip just puts way too much preload on them. If the shocks were standard length, it'd be fine

Hi arognt, was looking at exactly the same thing last night. Might give them a call and ask. Thought the same, shock may be too long but some after market UCA's may sole the issue?

But the. You have to worry about CV angles. Being made for the calmini kit I'd imagine they are made to suit a dropped diff?

I think you will find those Bilstein are the standard aussie bilsteins with extra grooves cut
Cheers

looks like it to me as well. if Caloffroad are having them made for the D40, you'd expect them to be the right length

have you tried any other combos ZORDO? dobinsons on the bottom clip etc or is it best to put the factory springs or std height aftermarket units in on the 2nd clip?

update - I finally got around to moving my struts from the 2nd clip to the bottom clip. has made a very notable difference in the ride and function of the front end. Dropped about 10mm in ride height and tops out less. overal I'm happier with it now but it's still not right, front still bouncees a bit too much so I will most likely still put the original springs back in on the 2nd clip and try them

Latest posts

Back