Black Smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltchy76

Reaction score
Hello All
My d40 has recently been blowing a lot of black smoke so i took it to the local nissan dealer to be checked out. They said there was water in the fuel filter so they replaced it and said it was fine. I got it back and it was still blowing black smoke so i took it back in, they sent a computer report to nissan and there were no errors but nissan said it was probably a timing chain issue.

Anyone had any similar issues

Cheers

Welcome to the forums waltchy.

How old is the nav? I hope they can figure out what is wrong for you, hope they were able to prove the filter was part of the issue and you didn't just pay for a new one for nothing too.

There has been a few issues with the timing chain tensioner. What year and how many K's has yours done?

Welcome to the forum.

Black smoke is a sign of over-fuelling. The fuel isn't being burnt completely. That could be an injector pumping too much in (through wear, or some glitch) or an airway restriction.

If you describe the engine type (diesel/petrol) or if it's manual/auto (auto diesels have a DPF), plus how many km your rig has done, we could offer more ideas.

Hi, i bought my Nav D40 2.5litre Diesal manual brand new in 2006 and it was blowing heaps of black smoke. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a wearing in process so i let it ride for a few weeks until my normal mechanic said something isnt right when he saw me down the street. also when i was pulling my boat it left the boat black. I insisted Nissan have another look and nothing came up on their computer and finally an older mechanic had a visual inspection and saw the vacum hose wasnt connected and fixed it easily. still blows a little puff of smoke when you give it a bit.

A bit more info for you guys:

Its a 2007 diesel d40 with about 65,000 kms on the clock

I have also checked the air filter and it is clean.

It's not too young to be suffering an injector problem, depends on the fuel you've been getting. Water in the fuel tends to destroy injectors so I guess one possibility is water.

You could also have a faulty O2 sensor in the exhaust (yes, the service manual does describe one for the manual vehicle and the petrol engine as well, not just the auto diesel with its DPF - which reminds me, there's another discussion I need to get back to with that point). I'm guessing what we learned about the CAT might have some basis.

It's also possible for the MAF (airflow) sensor to be a little off-spec, it might be reading a higher value than it should and so the ECU is fueling up higher than it needs to.

Another alternative - it's learned to pump diesel like tomorrow isn't coming. You might try an ECU reset - for starters, just try popping the battery negative lead off and pressing the brake pedal before putting it back on. Take it for a gentle drive without a load and see how it goes.

if they changed the fuel filter quite possible they didn't reset the ecu and it still thinks its got a clogged filter (low fuel pressure).

do the reset procedure and see what happens.

got a 2009 d22 2.5lt 65000km
same problem black smoke and also fuel economy has gone from 10-11 lt/100 driving up and down hisen tunnels here in adelaide hills (which is no small hill) to 13-14 lt/100 driving on flat freeway over to the york n eyre peninsular.
nissan said genuine filter and recalibrating the injectors n fuel pump should fix problem. black smoke has got slightly less but is still worse than when first bought vehicle fuel consumption hasnt gotten all that better (if any) since nissan have done there thing but have limited warrenty left so taking it in this week and asking for some diagnostics to be done eg fuel pressures and boost pressures just something to convince me they are actually attempting to do something about it as with the computers we have at work we can tell if an injector is no good via a computer and work out what the boost is spose to be doing i assume nissan can also do this (correct me if im wrong)
take it back to nissan this week, 3rd time lucky hopefully i get some answers
if anyone has had similar problem n found a cure please let me know
cheers

Latest posts

Back