Broken diff- no warranty

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 year old car on a tow truck 3 times - with the current holliday that was ruined - my wife and kids have been stranded tweice in the bush cause of crappy build quality - so mate shut the f** up. Seriously.

Cars that fail in the bush when they are new are a danger to the occupants - we were 35ks from no where with 2 kids last time - if we didnt have a second car to go get help would have been a long ass walked to get phone reception !

Stay on topic - as topic is diffs- i can whinge as my Xmas holliday was stuffed cause NO DIFF just before Xmas ! And just got it back today once all the joints opened up again. So thats the THIRD holliday my navara has ruined !

Uneducated moron !
See if people just bought D22's none of this would ever happen, you'd be stuck on the side of the track with a dead NPS :rofl2:

But anyway this thread is full of people looking at things with rose colored glasses, you can't expect every car to be 100% bullet proof, if you want bullet proof go buy an old solid axle gutlux or GQ patrol.

IMHO this problem would not have arisen if your dealer had advised Nissan properly. That is, that the service manager/team had put their advice together with the customer in mind and not the manufacturer. I've had reasons now to deal with three Nissan dealers - Canberra, Cairns and Nowra for warranty claims.

Case 1: Dead Starter Motor- this was caused by a constant drip of diesel from one of the connections on my aftermarket Water Watch alarm system. Diesel got into the motor and in the end it shit itself. Dealer took the view that the motor should withstand a bit of diesel soaking in....and in the end Nissan said to proceed under warranty.

Case 2: The link between the front stabilizer and the lower control arm disappeared somewhere up on the Old Telegraph Track on Cape York. I didn't notice until back in civilisation. Now I have a lot of aftermarket stuff in my suspension set up but this didn't deter the dealer who took the position that this particular part should not have failed.....modifications or no modifications. Nissan agreed.

Case 3: While traversing the Bloomfield Track and about to summit the Donovan Range all forward progress ceased. I was eventually recovered (I used NRMA Premium Care) by an off road recovery crew from RACQ in Mossman. Once all the bash plates were off it was discovered that the filler tube/dip stick tube on the auto transmission had cracked down near the box allowing about 3 ltrs of fluid to escape....and thus no go anywhere. This incident, like Case 2, obviously happened off road....and after shite loads of kms of corrugations. Anyway, Westco Motors in Cairns made the decision to repair.....and got on and done it - telling Nissan what they had done after the fact.

I've nothing to bitch about at all in so far as service goes....and like I say....I think it has a lot to do with how you approach the dealer, if the dealer knows their shit and understand what "off road" means, and if the dealer provides the advice to Nissan with a bent toward the favour of their customer.

My dealer or the other local dealer I contacted for that matter did not want to know about it. Both advised it would not be a Nissan warranty issue. Both dealers provided me with the information to contact Nissan directly.

Nissan made the decision not to cover it, it sucks but at the end of the day its not financially viable to take the matter further.

I didn't want this thread to turn into a shit fight, so please keep it civil. I was merely just trying to share my experience.

jason, department of fair trading is 100% free, isnt it??

I would at the very least give that a try, Nissan are counting on you walking away.

There is a guy on this forum Aussie Frontier who had an protracted experience with Nissan regarding the paint work on his midnight black D40 - it took him a while but in the end Nissan gave in and he got a full strip of the car and repainted by a professional painter in Canberra. Try sending him a PM and I'm sure he would be only too happy to talk you through the process.

My dealer or the other local dealer I contacted for that matter did not want to know about it. Both advised it would not be a Nissan warranty issue. Both dealers provided me with the information to contact Nissan directly.

Nissan made the decision not to cover it, it sucks but at the end of the day its not financially viable to take the matter further.

I didn't want this thread to turn into a shit fight, so please keep it civil. I was merely just trying to share my experience.

That sucks Jason....the dealer should have at least approached Nissan on your behalf with a technical appreciation of the situation....that is itself would probably give you standing with Fair Trading.

Last edited:

Yes, that doesn't sound like adequate service to me. That's bad service from the dealers, not Nissan in my eyes.

Latest posts

Back