Broken diff- no warranty

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from Nissans add above............

"Big work ethic.

Whether it’s a boat to the beach, a trail bike to the hills or a hefty piece of work equipment that needs to be dragged across town, the 4x4 Navaras’ 3,000kg braked towing capacity* has the muscle to get it there. No worries."

I wish KAAZ made LSD's to suit Navaras. Closest thing to unbreakable. The proper way to run those in is to do figure 8's and doughnuts etc. If you can do that in a Nav, good luck lol.

KAAZ are unbreakable, I have one in my 1000HP AWD 8sec Skyline GTR and its ****ing awsome.

Had one in my 04 S2 VY SS. Best investment ever. Breaking it in was a bit of a job but well worth it. Such a beautiful piece of work. When you think about it, they really aren't that expensive for piece of mind. Throw it in, wear it in properley, forget it's there.

They need to make them for 4WD's. they would make a tonne more $$$'s tapping into the 4WD market

I asked them to provide it in writing that it will not be covered under warranty and the reasons why it wont be covered. The person handling the claim refused to provide me the information in writing and told me his verbal refusal is all that he was required to supply me with.

Bullshit! Mention Consumer affairs to them, you more than welcome to look at their website as well. How many diffs are broken by now (just from the forum members)? Woody did it twice on the same car! Too many failure to prove that "the car has a proper diff fit in it" in front of a court.
If others agree we could put something in to cover for the legal expenses, we will all benefit from it at the end!

I'm no lawyer, but I think I can say confidentently that if you go to court over this, you will find it would have been cheaper to just pay to get the diff fixed yourself.

Again, good luck.

Yes Siringo you are probably right for one diff it's not worth the hassle and that's what big companies are gambling on. But what about if it comes out that we all bought a vehicle under false advertising? Furthermore what if comes out that the navara front diff has not design strong enough? Ever heard about recalls? From ABC " Toyota has recalled more than 7 million vehicles globally, including 300000 cars sold in Australia".
Then the game will change and I'm sure that that dealer will be very happy to replace the Jason d40's diff rather than start such issue.
Shall we ask what's happening to our friends fromclub frontier.org? Maybe they are going to the same issues and that's how it won't be just a single diff anymore.....

Difference is Toyota acknowledge there was a problem and fixed it, Nissan just like to stick their head in the sand... having said that toyo still like to do the whole head in sand on alot of things, ultimately is most things seem to come down to the dealership and whether they want to keep the customer satisfied or just piss them off and lose a customer for life...

its got to be a shit diff from the start iv'e towed tonne's and tonne's of wood up at my farm, up a steep rocky track with loose rock which is about 200 meters long on a 45 degree slope and using low 4. The diffs arnt great but that shouldn't of broke.

its got to be a shit diff from the start iv'e towed tonne's and tonne's of wood up at my farm, up a steep rocky track with loose rock which is about 200 meters long on a 45 degree slope and using low 4. The diffs arnt great but that shouldn't of broke.

its not the weight but the momentum in the driveline that breaks them when the wheel touches back down as there is a high level of friction between the tyre and road surface something has to give.

I am back, was a great last few days camping. I put s/h diff through a few paces. Whats amusing is the s/h diff made it back up the same hill towing the camper not once but twice. I also put the vehicle through some pretty rough terrain. I figure since Nissan are not gonna warrant it, then I might as well do with it what I like. Performed well, had a wheel of the ground a few times, wheel spin up hill climbs etc and no dramas. Got some battle scars to rove a great time.

Its amazing that no one with me willing to brand bash Nissan would follow me though. I reckon since the attempt from family while away to buy nothing but a Toyota I will keep the Navara just to get to them. I can hold my head high and say I am not afraid to drive my Nav and not stand to the side and watch.

After speaking to a few dealers I have made the decision that there not really that different when you strip them down. I think I will keep the Nav until the accountant gives the the go ahead for a Dual Cab GXL.

Last edited:
I am back, was a great last few days camping. I put s/h diff through a few paces. Whats amusing is the s/h diff made it back up the same hill towing the camper not once but twice. I also put the vehicle through some pretty rough terrain. I figure since Nissan are not gonna warrant it, then I might as well do with it what I like. Performed well, had a wheel of the ground a few times, wheel spin up hill climbs etc and no dramas.

All the more ammo for you to have a go at NISSAN...... If a Second hand Diff can handle more then the original diff thats proof in itself that the first one was faulty from the factory.

Glad to hear you got back out there and had some fun and got to see what your nav can do.

Mate - I feel your pain.

Navaras are just a good looking comfortable ute- DONT take them off road or they BREAK !

Pitty for a car that had such potential and replaced such a great previous model D22.

I too have felt the embrassment of being left broken on a track and had the standard Toyota's drive home, me leaving on a flat bed.

I will say to Nissan though their Road side assistance is Awesome - so I keep it every year - best $100 ever spent as has save thousands when stranded in middle of no where - 4 yr Navara on tow truck now 3 times - all warranty repairs covered by Nissan when 4x4'ing.

Also my last Nissan - I can't afford to maintain them !

Mate - I feel your pain.

Navaras are just a good looking comfortable ute- DONT take them off road or they BREAK !

Pitty for a car that had such potential and replaced such a great previous model D22.

I too have felt the embrassment of being left broken on a track and had the standard Toyota's drive home, me leaving on a flat bed.

I will say to Nissan though their Road side assistance is Awesome - so I keep it every year - best $100 ever spent as has save thousands when stranded in middle of no where - 4 yr Navara on tow truck now 3 times - all warranty repairs covered by Nissan when 4x4'ing.

Also my last Nissan - I can't afford to maintain them !

I have owned three navs now and im always towing Hilux's and i have never had an issue when i have had it off road. just because you have had probs DOESNT mean That if you take them off road "they will break"
I have had mine on some tricky tracks where it has required more then one attempt to clear a section and where i have had to winch other dual cabs up.
So yes you have had a bad run but that doesnt mean all of us that own navara's have had those issues,
The other thing is WHY are you paying for road side Assistance when you get it fore free with the car??
Also if nissan have covered all repairs when 4x4ing why cant you afford to maintain it??

Jason i'm not sure where you're at with this, if you've bothered to take it any further or not. I can tell you a guy i work with has just been through the same shit as you and they gave him the same deal, said they wouldn't cover it.

It's taken him a few months of fighting but he went through the dept of fair trading and his ute is getting a new front diff put in it next week. I know he done it on a trip up the cape but i'm not sure exaclty what he told them about how it happened.

If you're interested i can get some more info off him for you.

I have owned three navs now and im always towing Hilux's and i have never had an issue when i have had it off road. just because you have had probs DOESNT mean That if you take them off road "they will break"
I have had mine on some tricky tracks where it has required more then one attempt to clear a section and where i have had to winch other dual cabs up.
So yes you have had a bad run but that doesnt mean all of us that own navara's have had those issues,
The other thing is WHY are you paying for road side Assistance when you get it fore free with the car??
Also if nissan have covered all repairs when 4x4ing why cant you afford to maintain it??

Nissan Warranty expired and now wont look at thing ! So need to keep paying for road side assitance.

Nissan Warranty expired and now wont look at thing ! So need to keep paying for road side assitance.

So you have had a good run with warranty fixes and there roadside assist which in 3 yrs you have used 3 times and now your warranty is up you cant stop bitching and whinging about how crap Nissan is???
:dummy: :dummy:

Jason i'm not sure where you're at with this, if you've bothered to take it any further or not. I can tell you a guy i work with has just been through the same shit as you and they gave him the same deal, said they wouldn't cover it.

It's taken him a few months of fighting but he went through the dept of fair trading and his ute is getting a new front diff put in it next week. I know he done it on a trip up the cape but i'm not sure exaclty what he told them about how it happened.

If you're interested i can get some more info off him for you.

Thanks mate, but my problem is that I am to busy to be persistent with the issue.

I have been in touch with head office again trying to get something in writing that the claim has been declined but still no satisfaction. I have also backed it up with a statement from the father in law and the fact I managed to to the same hill with the replacement s/h diff without any dramas.

Nissan are still putting it down to shock loading caused by driver misuse.

My car is running again and I have come to terms with its true capability as a 4x4. Guess if it handle towing the camper up the beach or to the campgrounds I will be satisfied. MY hopes of being able to frequent the 4x4 parks has diminished.

I was hoping to use the Navara as a bit of stress relief but found the underlining issues only made me worse.
I have another addition to the garage to help when I need to wind down in the form of a late model 6L SSV commodore. Might lay of throwing $$$ at the Navara for a bit and spend some on the SS

Sounds like your garage would look alot like mine.
As much as I love my navara, if im towing my boat, ill take the SSV most times.

So you have had a good run with warranty fixes and there roadside assist which in 3 yrs you have used 3 times and now your warranty is up you cant stop bitching and whinging about how crap Nissan is???
:dummy: :dummy:

4 year old car on a tow truck 3 times - with the current holliday that was ruined - my wife and kids have been stranded tweice in the bush cause of crappy build quality - so mate shut the f** up. Seriously.

Cars that fail in the bush when they are new are a danger to the occupants - we were 35ks from no where with 2 kids last time - if we didnt have a second car to go get help would have been a long ass walked to get phone reception !

Stay on topic - as topic is diffs- i can whinge as my Xmas holliday was stuffed cause NO DIFF just before Xmas ! And just got it back today once all the joints opened up again. So thats the THIRD holliday my navara has ruined !

Uneducated moron !

Latest posts

Back