Buying a D22 with High Kms?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey guys..... hoping for some good advice with this as I had a quick look back and couldn't find anything about buying high k's Navara D22's....

I did look into this thread: Highest km's on a Navara clutch and wear and tear parts.
It was good to see that the D22's can get some good k's out of them and still be reliable....

I'm still gathering as much info as I can b4 I start the process to buy one & with that I dropped into see/talk to a Mechanic that was recommended to by a mate. His advice was great and basically said what I had sort of been thinking but wasn't sure if I was right....

HE basically said not to keep clear of a D22 just because it had over 200,000kms on it because it all comes down to the servicing history of the vehicle. HE went on to say that just because a car has "low km's" on it doesn't mean it will be good. It means it's probably only done small little trips to the shops, etc and no real highway kms. In his opinion this would be worse than a car with over 200,000k's on the clock (within reason). He went on to say if there was 2 identical year cars (8 to 10yrs old) and and one had 200,000kms on it and the other one had under 100,000kms on it that he personally would go with the one with the higher k's on it.

What's peoples thoughts on this as there is some good D22's on the market with 200,000+k's on them for some really good prices....

I know service history is VERY important, but what's some other tell-tail signs to look for to determine the quality of a vehicle as I'm sure there would be some people out there that would dodgy up their log books....

cheers....
rob

make sure there is a mechanics stamp on every service, check for leaks, underbody damage, and get it checked over before you buy, just because its got alot of k's doesnt mean it a piece of shit as that mechanic said

robmacca;148967 . He went on to say if there was 2 identical year cars (8 to 10yrs old) and and one had 200 said:
i personally would go, if all else is good for the 100K truck cause its done 100k less than the other,

unless maybe if the higher mileage one had done the last 100k in the previous couple of months.

i personally would go, if all else is good for the 100K truck cause its done 100k less than the other,

unless maybe if the higher mileage one had done the last 100k in the previous couple of months.

I assume there would also be a fair bit of price difference between the 2.....

Mate, I just bought a nav at christmas time. Took a huge gamble. It has near 250 000ks on it with no service history. I bought it sight unseen from melbourne, and drove it back to QLD. It had just had a new Gearbox and clutch put in it, which was the only reason I bought it over a lower km one (and the price). Body was a bit rougher than the seller said it was, not saying its trashed, just a few dings and a big ding in the tailgate. underside was perfect. Overall im happy and I spent alot more on mods.

I assume there would also be a fair bit of price difference between the 2.....

but which one will have the better resale value to you, after youve put your count on the clock.....the high miles or low...

at the end of it though there is so much more in it than just pure mileage to look at....and the old "highway k's" means shit apart from a sandblasted front end and windshield.

Mate, I just bought a nav at christmas time. Took a huge gamble. It has near 250 000ks on it with no service history. I bought it sight unseen from melbourne, and drove it back to QLD. It had just had a new Gearbox and clutch put in it, which was the only reason I bought it over a lower km one (and the price). Body was a bit rougher than the seller said it was, not saying its trashed, just a few dings and a big ding in the tailgate. underside was perfect. Overall im happy and I spent alot more on mods.

WOW.... that is a huge gamble and trustworthy on your part that the owner has hopefully told u the truth...... What sort of questions did u ask and checks did u perform b4 u said "YES"?
I assume u didn't bother with a roadworthy as it wouldn't mean much going interstate? I may be interested in doing this if I new what to ask and finally to look for but I also think buying locally would easier atm.

PS: I hope it has and will all turn out well 4 u and look forward to hearing how goes...... I've got a bit of time on my side b4 I made the decision.

Last edited:
a machenics stamp doesnt meat shit i know machenics that will poor the old oil back in as for mine i have done all but 2 of my own services has 100k on it now so warranty just finished i saved a packet and always used quality filters /oil not to mention i changed air and fuel filter every 10000k witch is overkill i know but with the price that nissan charge i still came out in front and made sure everything was done properly

a machenics stamp doesnt meat shit i know machenics that will poor the old oil back in as for mine i have done all but 2 of my own services has 100k on it now so warranty just finished i saved a packet and always used quality filters /oil not to mention i changed air and fuel filter every 10000k witch is overkill i know but with the price that nissan charge i still came out in front and made sure everything was done properly

a stamp does mean shit, it means some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing has done it himself or hasn't done it himself

well this idiot has been doing his own services and all the trucks and machinery that he works with for about 25 years and also all other maintence fron relining breaks on b doubles rebuilding gearboxes and diffs on trucks ond dogs to replacing final drives on 40 ton excavators never had a complaint from anyone when they pick up there equipment it doesnt come back till its due again i drive trucks for a living have no certificates for doing machenical work but do work on other peoples trucks/machines at home after hours or go out to fix breakdowns no i cant stamp a service book but i do a thorrough job and also keep a compleate service history on all the vehicles i work on i live in newcastle and a driver of o truckcan ring me from perth and ask me when one of his breaks was last relined and i can give exact day date and ks so just because someone stamps a book doesnt mean they care about the life of your engine they know the odss of it having a compleate failure while under warenty are extreemly low but are counting on you having expancive trouble after that period i have had one of the engins that i helped to build in an 1985 t line truck and dog a mechenical 400hp cummins that i am the only one ever to service its done 1.3 milloin so far and still going strong NO STAMPS

Getting a little off topic here....:offtopic3:

I don't want to rule out a 200k+ Nav if I can find one that has been well looked after and whether it's serviced via a Mechanic or done it themselves, but I know I would feel more comfortable if there was some form of written proof of the history for peace of mind... I've always done mine and have electronic records of everything that I've done to all my cars, but I'm a bit fussy in that area.....

So..... if it looks as though it's been well looked after, neat and tidy inside and out and some form of written history then I guess it just comes down to your gut feel ??

Unless there is some definite areas to look for.... like movement in the Turbo shaft; blow-by buildup, etc..... would that be right ?? any thing else to look into..... bubbles in the radiator while motor running; coolant quality; Brake fluid quality; What about Diffs; G'boxes ?? Leaks?

Last edited:
yeah sorry about that as for me this is my first nav i bought it new in 09 and have done just over 100k had no problems except for check vaulve on fuel primer has failed as of last service i belive the d22 is prone to rust in sills and under seats like the old kingswoods but apart from that i cant fault the car gets a little rattely abot 1000 before its due for service around timing chain area but it roesnt do that either if i do a flush at same time of service all in all i cant complain and for the price of a stock hilux or rodao you will get a fully tricked nav ill also mention when mine was stock i had to tow my mates kitted hilux out of the scrub and back home

Well..... today I finally found a suitable D22 (thanks to one of the members on here :) ) So, next week I'll be the proud owner of a 2002 model D22 3.0ltr TD Dual Cab with about 133,000kms on the clock. It's got just about everything I need ATM except for a bullbar/winch, but that can wait for a while.... Keen to get it home next week and start driving it. I'll start a build thread &/or post pics when I finally get it

This will be my 1st Nissan ever and that will give me a foot in ever camp so to speak.... I'll have a Toyota Prado (missus' car); Suzuki Vitara (modified for playing) and now a Nissan Navara..... So now I can't pick on my friends who have a Nissans now :yeahright:

Getting a little off topic here....:offtopic3:

I don't want to rule out a 200k+ Nav if I can find one that has been well looked after and whether it's serviced via a Mechanic or done it themselves, but I know I would feel more comfortable if there was some form of written proof of the history for peace of mind... I've always done mine and have electronic records of everything that I've done to all my cars, but I'm a bit fussy in that area.....

So..... if it looks as though it's been well looked after, neat and tidy inside and out and some form of written history then I guess it just comes down to your gut feel ??

Unless there is some definite areas to look for.... like movement in the Turbo shaft; blow-by buildup, etc..... would that be right ?? any thing else to look into..... bubbles in the radiator while motor running; coolant quality; Brake fluid quality; What about Diffs; G'boxes ?? Leaks?

Latest posts

Back