Buying King Cab STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tappet

Reaction score
G'day,
I'm a new to this forum and Navaras but not to 4WD's
I'm just about to put down the cash on a new King Cab STX ute. Done some research but still have a few questions.

1/. I thought all STX's were manufactured in Spain, or so the salesman tells me. The vehicle I have in mind has the VIN prefix of MNTNCUD. Is this a Spanish or Thai built car?

2/. Is the chassis better on the Spanish versions?

3/. Read another report that the Aircond can be a little underperforming on Navara's? Is this true?

4/. The suicide doors can rattle on a rough road? One of the main reasons I have gone for the Navara is because of this feature (the doors not the rattle :)

5/. Has anyone had the enviro (smart bar) fitted to there Navara. if so how do they find it and have you hit a roo at 100K's with it?

Thanks and hope I can make contirbutions to the informative forum.

It's a Thai.

No real evidence to say the Spain chassis is better than the Thai.

The A/C works fine until the evaporator gets full of dust. Fit cabin filters if your heading into the desert.

Suicide doors rattle like a bastard on mine. (2008mdl) may have being improved since then.

No idea about the B.B

5/. Has anyone had the enviro (smart bar) fitted to there Navara. if so how do they find it and have you hit a roo at 100K's with it?

Welcome to the forums.

I saw an ad for these bars yesterday and thought I'd chase up some more information. I'm not in the market for one but they looked kind of interesting however having read their website and looked at the images I'm not convinced they are as good as they say. Their mag ad states the speed where the other bars were damaged and theirs came back at 20KPM, firstly I think the exaggerated the damage to the other bars but I also think 20kph is a ridiculous speed to test any bar at.

At 100KPh I can guarantee if you hit a roo you will bend anything including the car. I really doubt these bars would be very effective at anything other than a slow speed collision. Having hit just about everything the Aussie bush has to throw at me with different bars I can tell you that even the strength of a steel bar is no real assurance if you hit the right object in the right way.

Ok! thanks for promt replies and thanks Krafty
Still tempted to go for the smart bar. Big thing that really sways me after having had steel bars over the years. The reduction in weight should be quite noticable. If you ever get the chance to drive a vehicle with a steel bar and the same vehicle without a bar at all back to back the difference is dramatic.

I totally agree but I also think that bullbars add a false sense of security and therefore wouldn't add any variety unless I wanted to mount a winch or driving lights.

My 08 build king cab doors didn't rattle, air con wasn't much good on really hot days, but neither is my new one, those bull bars look gay

G'day,
I'm a new to this forum and Navaras but not to 4WD's
I'm just about to put down the cash on a new King Cab STX ute. Done some research but still have a few questions.

1/. I thought all STX's were manufactured in Spain, or so the salesman tells me. The vehicle I have in mind has the VIN prefix of MNTNCUD. Is this a Spanish or Thai built car?

2/. Is the chassis better on the Spanish versions?

3/. Read another report that the Aircond can be a little underperforming on Navara's? Is this true?

4/. The suicide doors can rattle on a rough road? One of the main reasons I have gone for the Navara is because of this feature (the doors not the rattle :)

Thanks and hope I can make contirbutions to the informative forum.

Hi,

I have a D40 Dual cab STX and my

1/. VIN starts with VSKCVN and its built in Spain,

2/. there are subtle differences in the chassis, there is also differences in the air box Rims and for a Vehicle thats is support to be made the same there are a lot of changes??? go figure

3/. My Aircon is fine it cools a dual cab in 40deg heat in no time,

4/. Doors i cannot help with,

5/. i have seen the Smart bar hold up quite well when taking on the odd roo/tree or EMU.

Test drive is mans best friend.

:welcome:

Driven one before and taking one out for good drive on Monday.
Turns out the smart bar, the genuine one will only fit the dual cab spanish version. Price is scary to. Still like the concept of the smart bar, kind of makes sense, that the energy of an impact has to go somehwere.
Quite sure it's gay looks won't have any effect on my masculinity. :big_smile:

Alot of things are gay looking, I'm sure you'll be right.

The idea that the energy must go somewhere is quite right and there isn't a bar on the market that can stop that energy however the theory that these bars bounce back is the one I'd be suspect of. Sure it's very unlikely a steel or ali bar will bounce back into place after a decent strike (even after a gas axe it's not often likely) but unless the plastic of these bars can expand and contract (i.e. stretch when pushed and retract back to normal shape) completely by themselves I think the damage is still going to be as severe as any other bar at a decent speed.

I dont understand how it only fits the Dualcab they are the same front Dualcab/single/extra should have the same front???/

I'm fairly sure you find it mentioned here somewhere that there are many differences between Spain and Thai trucks and one of those differences is the bar mounts (due to the chassis rails I believe) and it ensures bars aren't that easily interchanged between models.

Cant comment on those plastic bars.

I have hit 6 kangaroo's and a wallaby or 2 with my steel Nissan bar.

Number 6 kangaroo stisted the bullbar slightly.

Got it repaired and powdercoated and all sweet now.

Any bar hit in the right spot will kill the bar, sometimes you can be lucky other times you cant.

Ok, Thanks. May have to do some more research on the bars, if i put one on at all. Just don't travel at night. Over the years probably only hit 5 or 6 and half of them went into the side of me.
Gee, Bilstiens Dave had them on a performance road car years ago, senstational shockie.

Pretty ,much what Krafty said.

Those Bilstiens are awesome.

The only other shock I would consider is Koni.

Well worth the money.

Handling of the ute is 1000 times better then from the factory.

Wont kick sideways in the dry, I can do it in the wet. You have to try and do it though.

Took a dual cab for a spin today, they drive good, even if the driving postion feels a little odd. Not wrong but just different to others in this class. I'm very comfortable in it but just felt you wouldn't want be over 6 foot.
Anyway, slaped down the cash today. Deal's done- STX King Cab.
Leaving the bull bar decsion swinging in the breeze for now. Little painfull on the delivery time could be out as far as early December.
Chose white but if can get hold of a Brilliant Silver or maybe a Desert Sand colour faster might go that way so perhaps let fate take it's chocie.
They certainly try to screw you on price, took a couple of quotes from other out of town dealers to get him down but came to the party.

I'm over 6 foot and I feel comfy in my STX DC, in fact I feel more comfy in that than any of our other vehicles, but then I've been driving i for 2 years so I ought to be used to it by now.

When I got mine they were a little thin on the ground and I had to wait for one to come off the boat. I gave the dealer two choices for colours neither of which was the colour I really wanted but that colour had an even longer wait. In the end without even telling the dealer of my original colour choice he found it and I ended up with the colour I wanted but never mentioned.

Welcome to the forums.

I saw an ad for these bars yesterday and thought I'd chase up some more information. I'm not in the market for one but they looked kind of interesting however having read their website and looked at the images I'm not convinced they are as good as they say. Their mag ad states the speed where the other bars were damaged and theirs came back at 20KPM, firstly I think the exaggerated the damage to the other bars but I also think 20kph is a ridiculous speed to test any bar at.

At 100KPh I can guarantee if you hit a roo you will bend anything including the car. I really doubt these bars would be very effective at anything other than a slow speed collision. Having hit just about everything the Aussie bush has to throw at me with different bars I can tell you that even the strength of a steel bar is no real assurance if you hit the right object in the right way.

Just thought I would throw in my two bobs worth on the smart bar. I had bought one for my previous ute, falcon RTV. The only reason I bought it was it was a full replacement bar and looked pretty dam good on my ute. White ute, black bar. I highly recommend them, well on a falcon anyway. I would have got one for the nav but didnt like the look at all. Why do I recommend them??? Well as previously stated depends on how u hit and where but after hitting a pig It was held up really well. It was about 4am in the morning drivng back home from the mine. Sittting on $1.40 cruise on, coasting along. Then it crossed my path, no reaction time to even hit the brake which may have helped thus not nose diving into it. Porky WAS rather large as i saw the hairs on his back as it hit the bar and on a RTV that would mean close to 80cm tall maybe... Pretty much bounced off in front and drove over the top taking out the plastic underbody protection both wheel arch engine covers... And a rather large indentation in the bullbar dead center. Seeing what i thought was steam was in fact the aircon leaking gas. Never the less Drove it home minus aircon, when u can drive a vech home other hitting a pig at that speed is a BIG bonus. By the time i took it to the panel beaters the smart barpopped back into place but had a crack under neath. The beater was amazed there was NO structual damage at all, new smart bar, never underbody protection and a new condensor she was like new again...... IF I liked how they looked on a NAV id have no hesitaion in gettin one. Maybe on a white one with a black bar......

Latest posts

Back