Camper Trailers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We picked up a six year old hot dip galvanised trailer and it looks okay compared to similar painted ones.

That said, I'm told etch primer, then paint will change the colour of the hot dip.

As mentioned, you have to look at how much money you can afford to have sitting in the shed, but I would suggest really crawling over a few before shelling out any money. at the bottom level you can start with a quality off-road trailer(height is critical) and then drop an oztrail tent on top. then after, it is a matter of chinese, Vs 2nd hand aussie, then new aussie and finally the IMO "I've got more money then sense" CT.

I've always preferred to add my own bits, rather than but an all singing all dancing.

Best to get one that opens out backwards that has a solid platform floor that keeps you off the ground, like Cub or Kimberley Kamper but they are expensive.

Theres pros and cons to both bong. hardfloor is a lot nicer usually easier to use soft floor usually suits the big family type as you can get a lot more room out of soft floor. really depends on the individual and yes nearly all hard floor campers are much dearer

What you want in a CT, really depends on how you use it.

We are happy with our folds out to the passenger side for 10' with annex model as we like to camp in one spot for a few days. Families definitely want more space, especially in wet weather.

Other people who tour and just stop overnight like rear fold hard floors as they can stop on the track anywhere and quickly set up.

We've had a Camel Bushman off road camper since about 2004. Big, strong gal trailer, not pretty, but impressive.
Turned over once, just unhitched, turned her over with the winch, and drove on. Only lost 60 litres of water - damn gravity!
No bells and whistles, just lots of space with the extended annexe.
Specifically bought it as the trailer had no inclusions taking up space (like sliders for plastic tubs) that were all the rage back then.
Done the Centre, nthn tablelands and multiple flinders trips - still good as new

We've had a Camel Bushman off road camper since about 2004. Big, strong gal trailer, not pretty, but impressive.
Turned over once, just unhitched, turned her over with the winch, and drove on. Only lost 60 litres of water - damn gravity!
No bells and whistles, just lots of space with the extended annexe.
Specifically bought it as the trailer had no inclusions taking up space (like sliders for plastic tubs) that were all the rage back then.
Done the Centre, nthn tablelands and multiple flinders trips - still good as new

G, day BJ,

Can you please post up some photos mate!

Regards,

RLI
:shooter:

for off road travel a swag but generally we take a jayco eagle everywhere.

personally i have been very happy with it, queen and double bed, three way fridge, kitchen, table n chairs, power for lighting, warm and dry, an annex and plenty of storage. we do five/six trips in it a year from a quick long weekend away to a month on the road and it hasn't let us down in any way.
Water, battery for lighting and gas for the fridge last a week so we dont need to be in a caravan park though use this sometimes to charge the battery. been very easy to clean and maintain.
we bought storage boxes to pack all the cooking gear/food, carry a spare gas bottle but usually we cook with a webber. the nav tub ends up half full, just tool box, recovery gear, a box of emergency food supplies and an ice box with a few coldies...

couldn't be happier

Hi , bought a making tracks hot dip trailer, 10 foot tent , Ali kitchen, poly block hitch , solid axle and alloy wheels , looked at truck loads of them all over southeast Queensland and found this one great value for money , hitting the beach in a couple of weeks , will post how she goes.

My mate has a lifestyle - not sure which one. I have borrowed it a few times and love it. Very easy to set up and put away. I would buy one for sure.

I got a lifestyle i went the extenda due to 3 kids so was close to 15 once some extras added, I looked at camel and customlime all built and local to Brisbane including canvas work. If possible and you can visit them all spent hours at these three factories going over there work they showed me some of their work in various stages this actually made it harder as all real good, happy with mine and would get another but really most of the local stuff are great bit like cars personal preference

Chinese tents are the main reason why the Australian camper companies go under administration. It's impossible to compete with the price of Chinese tents, and that's where the customers end up going. We used to manufacture and wholesale tents to some of the Aussie companies you guys talk about before they went under administration (lost a lot of money too). Fortunately, due to the quality of Chinese tents, we now repair them.

Having said that, if your looking for a tent to last, definitely go for an Australian manufactured one. They are dearer for a reason, and there's nothing worst than your tent ripping apart while your out camping. If your handy and want to save a few bucks, get a trailer built to your specs, and then go to a local canvas maker to build your tent to whatever you like.

Went for a custom camper,all aluminimum including the chassis very strong, no rust to worry about had it 3 years not a single problem ( aussie & pomme built)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 86
We had a list of criteria when buying a CT:

*Had to be able to house a thick, padded innerspring mattress
*Needed to be easy & quick to set up/pack away, especially by one person if either partner was indisposed
*Had to be Australian made incl the tent
*Needed to be something I could live in for 2 yrs or so

So that narrowed the search down to a hardfloor CT, & then Cub was the only brand that would accomodate the very plush mattress I needed

We chose a Cub Supavan Stockman. Expensive, yes, but worth every cent. We've done stuff with it including driving down very steep hillsides/tracks, water crossings etc, it's never let us down since we bought it almost 3 mths ago & have used it very frequently since. We're planning on living in it while we travel for a couple of years. The storage, kitchen & attention to detail is amazing, there hardly seems to be thing Cub missed when designing this baby. No regrets with this one. Took us a while til we were 100% comfortable with putting up/down, like anything, takes time. Now, we just have to master where the poles go in the annex :)

Latest posts

Back