Can someone tell me where this oil is coming from

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno91

Reaction score
Just saw all of this oil residue building up around this pipe (not sure what the pipe is) and it's also on too of the fan shroud and dripping down to the bottom of the engine bay as well.

I can't imagine it's the turbo because how would the oil manage to get all the way over the other side of the engine bay. Cheers ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402302895.630121.jpg

It's blow-by oil. You have a slight boost leak in the large black hose in the middle of the pic that's coming up and meeting the metal section.

There's a flat-blade screwhead in the hose clamp looking smack bang on at the camera in that shot, undo it and pull the hose. Examine it closely for splits cracks etc. If it's good, replace it, tighten that clamp just enough to hold it but not too tight that the hose gets pinched. Clean the area with degreaser and check it again in a week.

Thanks tony so just to clarify, that hose has turbocharged air flowing through it to the intake?

I will get into it tomorrow after work, if it does end up being damaged what should I replace it with?

That's absolutely correct.

You can replace it with:

* Factory supplied (OEM) hose - guaranteed to fit
--- buy it from Nissan for the cost of the life and soul of your first born
--- get it from Nizzbits for a discount

* Aftermarket from "performance" shops - check the sections in Supercheap, Autobarn etc, for the silicone hosing (it's usually blue). There should be some hosing that will fit. Single piece is better (less joins = less chance of leaks). Hose that restricts expansion is what you want, this area gets quite hot when driving and the turbocharger won't think twice about pressurising it causing it to balloon. Canvas layered hose is good.

Are there any hard pipes made for this section or is it a kind of DIY job? Either way a new thick canvas pipe should last if this one has done 180 thousand clicks

You wouldn't replace the entire section with hard pipe because the motor has to move (and the intercooler doesn't). You could drop an elbow on to each end and get a section of hard pipe between them, but I'm not sure how much gain you'll get for the added risk of introducing 2 new joins.

There is a small casting line on the mating surface where this pipe seats. its underneath and no matter what I did it would still leak even with sealant. So I took to it carefully with a file to smooth it out and no more leaks.
It was an issue as the lip ran from inside to outside so I would give that a file being careful nothing goes in the intake and clean it and refit the hose.
Also consider a catch can.
Oh and I have seem hard pipes for that side on ebay if you decide to go that way, but its probably more trouble than its worth..

Latest posts

Back