Canopy or Soft Tonneau

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a tonneau with rails (d40 style) or a canopy.

Will only be used mostly for camping and my fridge. Currently my tray is useless with the strict policing of unsecured loads in queensland at the moment, that and the lack of tie down points in the tub. I know of a few people who have been done $120 an item as small as a shoe.

Would prefer a tonneau for the price $350 vs $2000.

Would just like to know some of your thoughts on the two different options

Any input would be appreciated

Cheers

My dad just got a carryboy canopy for his Colorado and i must say its pretty smick. I never liked the idea of canopy's but my hardlid is useless in most cases.

I think it's a bit harder to get through a canopy with a knife.

it's actually harder to get a genuine tonneau off then it is to open a locked canopy , i've had both and i think the " ute" is a much more usable vehicle without a canopy if you can get away without not having one , i have more room in my king cab D-40 with a tonneau then i had with a triton with a canopy

Getting the tonneau cover off nicely might be harder, but we've had a few users of this forum say that some mongrel has walked up to their ute, slit the tonneau and nicked stuff from inside without setting off any alarm or making any noise.

I'd rather the security. Most canopies also have a light that you don't have to strap or glue to your forehead, hold in your hand or between your teeth (I gag badly when I try to do that for even a short period of time - I'd never be much of a friend for Elton John).

I had a hard lid (custom made steel lid) and it was great for security but limits height and stops things like fridge fitting in the tub. I therefore switched to a canopy this week and have to say it is far more practical. However they are of course much more expensive.

I'd say canopy, but it depends what you use the car for. I have a soft tonneau on mine and it is good for putting big stuff in as you can just roll it out of the way. In saying that I will be getting a canopy when I can afford it because having stuff in the tub all the time really limits what you can fit in there under the cover...

Thanks for the input guys I may just go without one for a while and see how it is like camping etc without it.

If it wasn't so much I would have bought one straight away, but I wouldn't use it much at this stage. So difficult to justify the cost.

Hahah I was reading some other forums and in South Africa if you have a soft tonneau you cant drive to slow or people will run up along side your vehicle while its in motion and slit it open then take your gear.

i have an ARB canopy, it came with the nav when i bought it, i thought i would hate it, but man its one of the best things on my truck, throw all my surfboards and wetties in no need to tie anything in and no mongrels stealing my surf or spearo gear at the beach,

my chainsaw has been in the back now for about 2 weeks as im always running around cutting wood for the fam and im too lazy to take it out haha.

canopy is a goer.

Being EOFY i will ring around and see if I can get any good deals.

Can you recommend and good brands and is ABS prefered over glass?

Thanks for all the help guys

A good one besides the ARB is the carry boy , check out their website , they have lots of features including a 100 kg roof limit without all the support bars that ARB require , their lined too from memory

Thanks for the input guys I may just go without one for a while and see how it is like camping etc without it.

If it wasn't so much I would have bought one straight away, but I wouldn't use it much at this stage. So difficult to justify the cost.

Hahah I was reading some other forums and in South Africa if you have a soft tonneau you cant drive to slow or people will run up along side your vehicle while its in motion and slit it open then take your gear.

Thats where you have your mate laying in wait under the tonneau with a 12 g pump , its hard for them to keep stealing shit with a blown off hand

Hi guys got a qoute from ARB,

For a smooth finish matched colour of my car $2700 fitted

seems steep to me? or is that normal

Bazz for that price I'd go for the Caddy Canopy, they are much more useful with side access to the tray, 80kg load rating and well made (no I'm not on commission, just impressed with their product). I've personally never been that impressed with the ARB ones.

Caddy also do a "seconds" section on their web page where I managed to get a Caddy CME for $1950!! Bargain as I can't even see the imperfection they gave the $850 discount for. Give them a look

Bazz for that price I'd go for the Caddy Canopy, they are much more useful with side access to the tray, 80kg load rating and well made (no I'm not on commission, just impressed with their product). I've personally never been that impressed with the ARB ones.

Caddy also do a "seconds" section on their web page where I managed to get a Caddy CME for $1950!! Bargain as I can't even see the imperfection they gave the $850 discount for. Give them a look

I agree. I have a Caddy also and have no complaints. Very happy with it. My brother in law has a carry boy and has trouble with the front window. It's been fixed twice and still not right.

i have an ARB canopy, it came with the nav when i bought it, i thought i would hate it, but man its one of the best things on my truck, throw all my surfboards and wetties in no need to tie anything in and no mongrels stealing my surf or spearo gear at the beach,

my chainsaw has been in the back now for about 2 weeks as im always running around cutting wood for the fam and im too lazy to take it out haha.

canopy is a goer.

I have one too, but am nowhere near as happy with mine as you are with yours. I bought mine for nearly 2.5 grand & it's been back to ARB 8 (yes 8) times being re-fitted or having seals replaced.

Latest posts

Back