Cape York Questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equipt

Reaction score
Just looking for some info on Cape York, I am thinking of planning a trip up to the tip maybe next year. I have a few questions if anyone has done the trip or just wants to share some info.

How long should I allow for the trip, I was thinking at least 4 weeks. 1 week to drive to Cairns, 2 weeks from cairns to the tip and back to cairns then another week to get home.

How many cars would you recommend taking?

Which way is best, Development road or Telegraph Track?

Any more info would be great

As much as his name is at times, like a curse word on this forum Roothy and his mates did the Cape York trip recently. I haven't bothered watching the DVD's but the write up was about as in depth as anything in 4wd action.

My parents did it in an Oka with a group of other like minded people about 10-15 years ago, they reckon it's a great trip even with someone else driving. The old man would have liked to drive it himself but mum wouldn't go for it so they compromised and did the Oka trip.

At least 3 weeks Cairns-Tip-Cairns more if you can afford it. The best way is the Tellegraph track which although more challanging it is better on your vehicle as the corrigations on the developmental road kill your vehicle. You will see heaps more plodding along the tellegraph track too and there are some top camp sites. Don't forget the other tracks and sites too such as the CREB, Frenchmans, Bloomfield, Cape Mellville, Palmer River goldfields, Undara larva tubes and heaps of other places you can go if you have the time. I want to go back and see a few things I missed so probably better to see it all in one trip. I went up with four other vehicles (one bloke was a mechanic too which was a bonus) but would be happy to do it on my own if I had a winch and sat phone. Head up late May to avoid the crowds as it becomes very busy from June holidays on.

Cheers

Went up on my own this year in June just before the school holidays. Had all the recover gear, only needed a snatch once out of nolans brook. I wouldn't say a satphone is a necessity. There is plenty of traffic up there and not long until someone runs into you. Did the creb and the tele track. Took us a bit under two weeks and was quite easy to do it in that time. We do want to check out the frenchmans track and a couple of others that we missed next year though. Oh, and don't bother with Weipa unless you plan on doing a fishing charter or something. There is nothing to do except fish there.

Cool, it is making me want to start planing a trip now, but due to starting building a new house tomorrow my cash will be a little tight over the next few months.

We used to live in Bamaga many moons ago, ie 30 years ago. One of my brothers was born there (first white child born there lol) and is wanting to take his kids up there to show them. A few more of us are gonna go also. Looking at May 2012 at the moment.

I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead. I am looking at doing this trip in late august... Gonna be a bit of a rush prepping the nav but I'm gonna try. My mate has plans to do it in 16 days from the sunny coast and back again....is this doable while still having a good time? I have a million questions but if you guys have any more experiences or tips..... I am all ears!

It is my plan to take this trip late July 2013 and take the OTL route. I'm guessing a few on here have successfully navigated the OTL and other tracks on the cape in the D22 with out too many drama's?

Ill be keeping a close watch on this thread, any information that others can provide on must have accessories for the D22, trip preparation, fuel, road conditions etc would be greatly insightful.

Latest posts

Back