Catch can incorrectly hooked up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutnut

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted know how much damage I may have done to my motor. I hooked up a Forefront industries catch can about 2 months back and didn't hook up the drain at the bottom to anything but a small piece of pipe, and didn't block it off either. I am wondering how much dusty air I may have sucked up the pipe and into my motor. I can't see the evidence of much dust but it may just be mixed with oil and not visible. Having a slight oh no moment.

Cheers

Lincoln

Yep, that's an ooops moment. Not much you can do now, fit some hose and a valve for a drain, then give the IC a good clean out and change engine oil and filter.

You've caught it. Early. I'd fix it and just move on, and think to yourself next time "gotta check that ... gotta check that ..."

It's something I do so much I now have a written list of things because there were too many to remember that I kept forgetting!

Oh Shit, I have probably done more harm than good, is the only way to check the amount of damage through a compression test?

Cheers

Thanks old Tony, I am going to try and take yours and Leprechauns advice. I love my truck and feel pretty gutted right now.

Cheers

You will be ok mate, I doubt you will have any problem at all. A leaking or incorrectly installed air filter would be much more of a concern. The small amount of shit "if any" that made it's way in wouldn't damage anything in such a short time.

Thai built D40 airfilters don't work at all, I had half the Great Sandy Desert go through my engine. I traded it in at 40,000ks because I knew substantial damage had being done. If you haven't done 100's of k's on the dirt you will be fine.

Thanks Guys,

Feeling a little better now. I pulled everything apart and can't find much dust anywhere in the can or the inlet pipe to the manifold. Usually when dust and oil mix they form a gritty sludge but definitely none of that. I have driven a few gravel roads but not too many thankfully. I will do a full service tomorrow and hope for the best.

Cheers

The catch can is usually under pressure anyway, especially when RPM is up. You'd have to be engine braking to get any suction in there so there's even less chance of any issues from ingestion.

Thanks Guys,

I did put a piece of paper over the drain pipe while running the vehicle through the rev range and I couldn't get it to suck the paper to the pipe. Like you were saying Tony it seem to be under positive pressure, of course I didn't test under engine brake, but that would have only made up a small portion of the drive time.

Cheers

again

Latest posts

Back