Central locking delay

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman

Reaction score
Well a strange gremlin has cropped up with the d40. After a drive and the engine is turned off (and i have exited the truck) the doors wont remote lock for approx 50 seconds. Its not a biggie but a right pain when its pishing down in bunnings carpark! Tried a ecu reset but no change. Also replaced the key batteries etc. any ideas? Is there a way to set the delay or is it just one of those random nissquirks ill have to get used to ! Cheers.

Bugger, you must have the least reliable D40 I've ever heard of!

Sounds like a dodgy BCM (body control module) to me.

Ok, if you're sitting in the car and you press the dash switch to lock the doors, how long does it take for the doors to lock? If it's about the same, then it's something to do with the locking mechanism.

If it's much faster then it's the BCM's response to the remote. Since the reset didn't help it's more likely to be an electrical fault, like a poor earth or slightly corroded connection. Check around pins 50-60 of the BCM (just spray the whole bloody lot don't sit there for 3 hours counting them while your a$$hole neighbour shouts out "13 ... 17 ... 26 ... 7 ... " to annoy you). Electrical contact cleaner = good stuff. WD-40 is ok too.

There are no relays involved, the BCM is wired directly to the door solenoids. You can grab a multimeter and test that the BCM is doing it right. When the doors are all closed, press LOCK and you should see 5V on pin 32, 0V on pin 34. Press UNLOCK and those two should reverse. If there's a delay there, and you've cleaned things up, maybe the BCM is faulty. Changing it means re-registering the keys - obviously possible, just a little time consuming.

Hi guys thanks for the ideas. I didnt even think of the bcm... I will give that a go tony and let you know what transpires. Oddly the car has been compleatly reliable since the last time something went wrong...lol
The other interesting thing is it never has a problem unlocking. I dont think i have ever used the actual locking switch as i never look the doors when in the car.

Last edited:
Hey Iceman, so, it sounds like after you wait approx 50 seconds, the doors lock and unlock perfectly. If you press the button in that 50 second window, do the indicators flash, or is there no response at all from the car ?

Also, slightly insulting question, but are you sure the button on your key is working properly. Have you got a spare key you can try with ?

Ok after some experimenting i have a partial answer to what is going on. When i am at home the locking works perfectly. In fact when i am anywhere but bunnings it works perfectly! If i go to bunnings it does it everytime!! Weird
Only thing i can think of is there must be some sort of local interference causing the problem. Maybe it just doesnt like bunnings...
Perhaps the car park is haunted with the ghosts of D40s past........��

Geez, bloody Bunnings carpark. Yep, must be some interference problem, thing is, if your car is doing it, then there are probably a lot of other ones doing it too. Sounds like a good place for a thief to be prowling around.

Maybe it's trying to tell you to shop at masters instead haha. Does it matter where you are parked in the carpark, or is it the same all over it?

I think the keyfobs operate around the 433MHz mark. That's also the frequency of some garage remotes. Maybe Bunnings has a busted one, or it's their boomgate control which also uses a garage-style remote?

Good question bods, next time i am there i will park down the other end and see what happens. Could be right there tony. I do have a portable spectrum analyzer which can look at 433mhz so i migh just have a wander round the carpark and see whats there. No doubt they will try and arrest me hahaha...still an interesting notion, jam that frequency and noone can lock their car. Mind you if they break into mine they would get away with some empty crisp packets and a muddy pair of wellies lol

I had a similar issue with my door driver-side a couple of weeks ago my door would not short I at to hold the door driving down the road to get back home not a nice experience it turned out to be the door lock and latch was both replaced

Back