Change Fuel Filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i change the fuel filter i dont clamp the lines. I just pull it out and fill the new filter with diesel before i put it in. Use oil filter clamp to twist off, throw old one away, get fresh diesel out of jerry or hold the filter under the primer and pump till full, attatch then pump till its hard, start car, if car stalls repeat pumping till hard. Should only need to do it once if it does stall.

I've got a CAV type filter, so there is a bit more fiddling around -- therefore I clamp the lines. But I don't have any special clamps -- just two pairs of multigrips and some sparkies tape. Squeeze off the line, then tape the handles together -- repeat for other line.

Did this 'daunting' task last night for the first time. I'm new to working on diesels so it was awesome that I pulled it off without any dramas. Followed the OP instructions and it worked a treat. My truck no longer surges/misses on full throttle! Back to being a normal slug, instead of an impaired-slug.

I used these exact tools to clamp the fuel lines;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400622494294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i know this is an old thread but it's still relevant.
Just did my fuel filter tonight for the first time and followed the YouTube video that Guido posted the link for without questioning wether there was a better way. I got diesel all over my driveway and completely lost all prime absolutely none left in lines. Then tried to re-prime but after about 20 minutes still had nothing. Looked up Internet and found a lot of suggestions about using compressed air but I don have a compressor handy so wasn't an option. But I do have an old vacuum cleaner!
More out of last resort then anything I connected up the new filter and inlet line then got my 10 year old son to hold down the primer whilst I connected the vacuum to the outlet side. I had to make a little funnel out of my hand to maximise the sucking on the outlet side. After about 5 seconds the vacuum started making a gurgling noise! Job done. Vacuum had sucked the fuel back through. Simply connected the outlet line and went through what seems to be the normal 3 or 4 goes at staring and re-priming and now runs normally.

Latest posts

Back