Change Fuel Filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm just chasing a step-by-step walk through for changing the fuel filter. I have read about clamping the lines etc but haven't found much else on the forum. Also nothing in the maintenance section of the owners handbook. As much detail as possible please, as I am sure it will help others in the future.

Cheers,
Guido

Ok. clamp both lines (i use proper plastic clamps i bought from BURSONS parts) then take off the hose clamps and remove the two hoses.

next i unbolt the whole unit including the primer pump.

Then i drain the diesel into a clean container just so i can see what the fuel is like that is in my fuel system, that way you will get the idea if your tank may need to be drained.

Once the diesel is drained i turn the unit upside down and bolt it back into the bracket in the engine bay, this will allow you to undo both the main plug in the bottom of the filter and the filter itself.
To undo the filter i use a clamp like what you use for an old school oil filter.

Once you have everything undone fit the new filter and re-fit both the big drain plug and the small wing nut style one.

Now turn the filter and priming pump back the right way up and re-fit it in the correct location and re-connect the INTAKE hose only and prime the pump until you have diesel flowing out the other side.

Once you have diesel flowing out the filter re-connect the last line and prime the pump until the plunger goes really hard.
Now your ready to hit the key and see if she starts, if it doesnt start then prime the pump again until it goes firm, you may need to repeat that a couple of times.

That should be it.

If you can't get it to prime following the above instructions, stick a a compressed air hose into the fuel filler, seal with a rag and push the fuel through. I know it sounds like it won't work, but trust me it does.

If you can't get it to prime following the above instructions, stick a a compressed air hose into the fuel filler, seal with a rag and push the fuel through. I know it sounds like it won't work, but trust me it does.

X2 it works a treat

just stick the air hose on the breather line and it will push fuel up from the tank.
don't use much air pressure as you may blow the gearbox/transfer seals.

Ok. clamp both lines (i use proper plastic clamps i bought from BURSONS parts) then take off the hose clamps and remove the two hoses.

next i unbolt the whole unit including the primer pump.

Then i drain the diesel into a clean container just so i can see what the fuel is like that is in my fuel system, that way you will get the idea if your tank may need to be drained.

Once the diesel is drained i turn the unit upside down and bolt it back into the bracket in the engine bay, this will allow you to undo both the main plug in the bottom of the filter and the filter itself.
To undo the filter i use a clamp like what you use for an old school oil filter.

Once you have everything undone fit the new filter and re-fit both the big drain plug and the small wing nut style one.

Now turn the filter and priming pump back the right way up and re-fit it in the correct location and re-connect the INTAKE hose only and prime the pump until you have diesel flowing out the other side.

Once you have diesel flowing out the filter re-connect the last line and prime the pump until the plunger goes really hard.
Now your ready to hit the key and see if she starts, if it doesnt start then prime the pump again until it goes firm, you may need to repeat that a couple of times.

That should be it.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Firstly, can you tell me more info about the hose clamps you use? The lines seem freakin hard and is reckon I would need something decent to crank them flat enough to seal.

Cheers
guido

Thanks for that, very helpful. Firstly, can you tell me more info about the hose clamps you use? The lines seem freakin hard and is reckon I would need something decent to crank them flat enough to seal.

Cheers
guido

Here are a couple of pics of the ones i use, i bought them from REPCO But you can also get them from BURSONS as Dave said.

Just be aware that the fuel lines can become so hard they go brittle, and will need to be replaced if they look like they are cracking.

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

Hi guys, I found this video on the Tube. He doesn't use any clamps on the lines? He also lets a lot of diesel fall into the engine bay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk8USUmVmX4

I am assuming if you don't use clamps, you spill the diesel and also need more pumps to get the pressure up? is this correct?

Cheers,
Guido

if you don't clamp it off the fuel drains back to tank and can be impossible to suck it back up using the primer.

So, as expected I split my fuel lines with the clamps because they are old and stiff. Am I just ok to replace these line and prime my little ass off to get the fuel back up??

Cheers,
Guido

I tried clamping but split the lines because it was old and hard. I saw it coming before I even started.

Took bugger all to prime it back up. Don't know what the fuss is with the clamps. I reckon they would take more mucking around than the priming did. Each to their own.

Thanks for the help fellas, good feeling doing things for yourself. Recommend it to whoever wants to DIY.

Guido

Like I said its not compulsory to clamp , but if you have ever had the fuel drain back and leave the lines empty you will wish you spent the 5sec it takes to wack the clamps on. In my opinion they are absolutely NO FUSS what so ever.
Also if your fuel lines are that brittle they most definitely need replacing as they cod split at any time and usually at the worst possible moment.
Once you have some descent fuel lines and not old dried up crap you will find the clamps very easy to use.

Just did mine then, clmaped them but they didn't seal, spent about 30 mins pumping... finally got it in the end, i must have a dodgy plunger, i found it only works well if i bash the plunger hard.... go figure.
its not impossible to return the fuel but man it sucks.

Latest posts

Back