Cheap LED strips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are brilliant. Gonna order a full set when I get the dual battery system in. Is there a brighter white or is that bright enough. Light white doesn't sound to bright thats all.

Rusty

I use a 3A fuse for 2 of the strip LEDs in the OP. When you see the hair thin cables that the LED's are connected with and is so thoughtfully supplied with them you can easily see that current draw is not huge and although fuses are worth very little even 3A is an overkill, but they are used for so little else and I have so damn many of them.

Is there a brighter white or is that bright enough. Light white doesn't sound to bright thats all.

Rusty

What you have to realise is that in the dark you can light up a canopy with a match and still see what you are doing. These aren't the kind of lights you put up to read by so just about anything that puts out a glow will be effective in the dark canopy.

You could put 10 strips on each corner and because the current drain is so little never worry about your battery going flat but unless you're blind as a bat it's just not needed.

Thanks KraftyPg!

I will give that a go. I know what you mean by hair thin cables!

I will be purchasing the 10 once the battery gear goes in. No idea whdt I'm gonna use them all for. Gotta wait for the canopy door to be fixed under warranty aswell

Yeah it's surprising just how thin they can make cables and still have them pass current, they are so thin you really have to be careful you don't break one of the three strands when handling them.

I find it kind of amusing that we all use large cabling for fridges and dual batteries etc yet whack a fuse in it which passes the entire current through a tiny filament often only a fraction of the size of the cabling used but with these LED even a 3A fuse has thicker filaments than the wire used to power them.

It's not really a big surprise (and I'm certain you know it, but just so that everyone ELSE knows it, we should make it clear).

The thinner the wire, the more the voltage drops across the length of the wire. It's all to do with the propagation of the electrons along the wire and rather than getting into the molecular reasons for it, let's just say that the bigger the cable, the less voltage drop and leave it at that. Voltage drop is bad: if you're charging a battery in the tub with the alternator, and your 14.7V is dropping to 13.2V in the tub, you are NOT charging the battery at all. Increase the side of the cable to avoid the problem.

The fuse, of course, is there to protect not just the devices, but the cable and battery as well. A $2 light globe in the canopy doesn't need a fuse protecting it - but if a big heavy cable shorts onto the chassis, it can cause the vehicle to catch on fire.

So that's why we MUST use fuses, the fuses MUST go near the battery, and why we use heavy cabling over long distances (long = anything over 2m).

I knew that comment would get a bite from the "lets state the obvious" police at some stage, was just a matter of which member of the force took the bait.

I'm glad this thread surfaced again! I just ordered ten of the buggers, $13.95 inc postage.

Cheers Brad

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back