Chipping a 550

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dzlndust

Reaction score
Hi. Has anyone chipped a 550? If so what brand chip and also what other modifications do you run with it? Also is it a noticeable difference in power/economy?
Cheers.

Chipit are currently looking for a test mule 550
Give them a call
They are in Perth

Personally i would not bother with that sort of grunt there is no need but as you get used to the power you want more but i can tell you a client of mine with a 550 had fitted a tunit and 3 inch exhaust he gained 28hp and it blows a puff of smoke on takeoff i believe economy was slightly worse i think from memory it cost him about 2.5k for the package installed and dynoed .

a mate of mine bought a new STX with the V6, even his mechanic who did all the work on his Pootrol comp truck thought he was made for wanting to chip the V6.

BUT... one can never have too much power LOL!

I chipped mine and then took it back out. I had the DP Chip from my previous D40 and sent it back to get modified for this vehicle. It fattened the power a bit and used a bit more fuel (not much). The annoying thing was it stuffed up the shift points on the box. You will hear others having a rant about this as well.

If you were going up hill at slow speed (there are a few steep 60k hills near home) it would change up a gear but you would then have less than 1500 revs and it would slow, then kick back. Brought back memories of old trimatic holdens wheezing along.

It still does it without the chip but no where near as bad.

Realistically it doesn't need the chip. For what you pay you don't get a lot in return.

I put a DP chip in mine. Mainly cause I tow a 23 ft caravan so wanted the extra torque. Don't notice a big difference without the van as they are already good, but with the van on i'ts great. I get better fuel economy and really notice the difference on hills etc. Pain in the backside putting it in though. Hard to get to the engine plug but I am no mechanic.

I plan on keeping to the basic and mine is only the 2.5. I'd do the exhause and intercooler before worrying about a chip

Got a chipit on mine, have had for 2 years, so far haven't got it to work right, takes off and scoots round town beautifully with the chip on, and the gearbox/turbo lag problems disappear but loses power above 2200 rpm and so much smoke its rediculous. Fuel econo slightly better with it on though.
Currently not on and don't mind how the car goes, be good to get it sorted though

Latest posts

Back