Cleaning off overspray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a good way of getting overspray off. The smart cabinet guys up the road sprayed with their doors open and wala! Do I get it off with a cut and polish or this clay bar I have read about? It doesn't seem like the paint on the nav is that thick so u have to be careful.
Cheers
:wash_truck:

I got some overspray on the front of my Navara on saturday after i replainted the top of my bullbar....

I got into it within minutes with some cut N polish. Got it all off right away. Its the only part of my car which is currently clean.

Clay bar works a treat, i had balck over spray over my bonnet took a little while but its gone now. ask a pannel beater what they use, thinners will get it off in 2 seconds but never done it my self

If i had thinnners on hand at the time, i would have used it because the paint was fresh.

Mmm, probably 2 pak eh. Depends how heavy it is. Try a mild cutting polish to start, especially if it's a dark colour. Would not use thinners, Turps yes

Im a house painter by trade .
try turps first wont eat into 2pak or clear coat . if that dont work go to metho but be quick and careful dont let rag sit in one spot or rest on car . then wash then cut and polish . dont use thinners

I tried to make them do it mate but it was going to end up bad, my boss didn't want to start shit with the company next door! My old man is a painter and he also told me to stay away from thinners as well. I might try the cut and polish after this clay bar.... Should be interesting
Thanks for the tips.

You wouldn't wan2 give your car to a cabinet painter for something like that, since they don't have the sense to CLOSE THE FARGN DOOR.......
LOL.
Don't buff it with compound if you can avoid it. You will never get the swirl marks out, again especially if it's a dark colour.

I think the guy I bough it of years ago polished it up as are swirls every where in the sun light. It's red (with tinny white spots every where if you get close enough) you can feel the over sprywhen you rub your hands over it ....not happy!

I've left that company now so I have been thinking of making some of my own over spray all over his new BMW... I'm a believer in Karma but I'm struggling to walk away from this one!

from what i have been told, i think you should use the polish first then use the clay bar as the final step as its meant to remove swirl marks ect.

you could try prepsol first it will get rid of most things without eating into your top coat, but try it in an inconspicuous place first.

good luck.
nathan

G'day Alphabet

I had white enamel on my cars compliments of a knuckle headed neighbour spraying a trailer.

Went to a couple of detailers. One wanted $1000 to clean both cars the other was $300. I took pity on my neighbour and went the $300 track. BIG MISTAKE. The guy was as blind as an owl. Got some, OK most of the white paint off and had me checking his work as he went????

Anyway both $300 and $1000 used the clay first and then polished - NO CUT - apparently the clear coat is important and should not be cut.

The clay works well when the paint is wet.

What colour is your Nav.

Goldy

Don't what ever you do use 2000 wet and dry sandpaper, even wet to "lightly" remove overspray. I'm still trying to find the damn "expert" paint site that said to do it that way and give them what for, :devil:

Mine is blue. The $1000 bloke had a workshop full of show cars he was detailing. I got the feeling he was good.

He had a spray bottle with water in it. sprayed a small area of my Nav and went at it with the clay. Good job, looked great.

I tried the clay myself and it is not hard to do, time consuming though. You just need to be able to see.

The common factor between $300 and $1000 was NO CUTING and WASH THE DUST OFF FIRST.

Good luck, sounds like a busy weekend. Let me know how you get on.

I was wondering if anyone has a good way of getting overspray off. The smart cabinet guys up the road sprayed with their doors open and wala! Do I get it off with a cut and polish or this clay bar I have read about? It doesn't seem like the paint on the nav is that thick so u have to be careful.
Cheers
:wash_truck:

I think returning the favour is important. Don't be malicious about it, make the mistake quite genuine.

Prop a $15 skateboard up against his BMW and paint the underside (of the skateboard - don't be an ass and paint the underside of his BMW) hot pink. That ought to do it. Don't forget to start spraying before your aim reaches the board, and continue as your hand moves across the board, and release the trigger once you're past it. This gives a nice, smooth coat to the item being painted.

wash car first to remove dust, then clay bar with plenty of water,then wash and dry, then a black pad/waffel pad on a buff with 3m swirl remover or juice black polish,these are not cutting compounds, these are what you use after cutting to remove the scratches from cutting, then hand polish with meguires gold class

on glass use steel wool

best of luck on rubber mouldings and black textured plastic such as door handles ect, overspray clay will not help here

prepsol is a wax and greese remover used prior to painting, this will not help now

wash car first to remove dust, then clay bar with plenty of water,then wash and dry, then a black pad/waffel pad on a buff with 3m swirl remover or juice black polish,these are not cutting compounds, these are what you use after cutting to remove the scratches from cutting, then hand polish with meguires gold class

((on glass use steel wool))

best of luck on rubber mouldings and black textured plastic such as door handles ect, overspray clay will not help here

prepsol is a wax and greese remover used prior to painting, this will not help now

I was sceptical of the Clay Bar thing. Must give it a go.
Sorry Crispy, have to but in.
"On glass use a razor blade scraper" zero scratches

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back