Cleaning off overspray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Crispy said!!

Can you run a bit of detergent in with the water and clay? Keep it moving. Must try that. I find the clay sticks a bit when it's warm. Perhaps detergent solution in a spray bottle?

You are dead right about the black bits. They just stayed "dusty looking".

The worst is the crinkle finish canopy. I didn't touch it. Any Ideas?

I am using this "Auto Glym" polish. Its well recommended, seems to last well. A bit dear but you only use it half as often. I got it from Repco.

I was sceptical of the Clay Bar thing. Must give it a go.
Sorry Crispy, have to but in.
"On glass use a razor blade scraper" zero scratches

Yep all good with a razor blade, remember it has 2 sides and only 1 side will remove, make sure you use new blades, best type are the ones to go in a holder not knife blades. A blunt blade may scratch glass

Steel wool is easy

What Crispy said!!

Can you run a bit of detergent in with the water and clay? Keep it moving. Must try that. I find the clay sticks a bit when it's warm. Perhaps detergent solution in a spray bottle?

You are dead right about the black bits. They just stayed "dusty looking".

The worst is the crinkle finish canopy. I didn't touch it. Any Ideas?

I am using this "Auto Glym" polish. Its well recommended, seems to last well. A bit dear but you only use it half as often. I got it from Repco.

In preferance to detergent use a very small amount of car wash, some chemicals in dish washing liquid are not super friendly.

with removal of overspray it depends all on the time frame, type of product and the substrate.

get to it as soon as you can, as 2 part products take alot longer to cure when not being baked in a booth, i.e. will stay alot softer for longer

if it is an industrial paint such as poly-u it can become a real drama once it dried as this is alot harder than the coatings used by OE, all depends on type, 2k products not so bad

Substate can represent issues, such as your textured canopy, there is no easy way out unless you are lucky enough that the overspray is acrylic, in wich case when it gets hot it becomes soft and can be removed easyer.

Rubber mouldings and black trim are an issue and depending on level of contamination may have to be replaced

Auto glym super resin polish is a great product, just rember every time you wash your car it removes a small amount of the film the polish leaves, so re aplicate often

Something different I recently experienced. I just got my work car back from the panel beaters 2 weeks ago after hitting a lycra warrior a month before that. There was some overspray of clear coat on the windscreen. so I called in last Friday night. The fellas are having a beer out the back. Old mate says no worries, puts down his beer, walks over to the cupboard and grabs some fine steel wool. Gently rubs it over the patches after feeling them with his bare hands and bingo! Good as new. Pretty bloody impressive, I thought!

Steel wool has a few grades and the very fine one will do the job with no probs, just have to be sure which one you get eh.
The razor I mentioned has a rigid backing on one side to slot into a holder for scraping.
Good thinking, it would be handy to know which product they used.

Just use a clay bar and the spray which comes in the pac trust me i once brought a car off a bloke who worked at a ship yard black car white 2 pac dots all over it takes a while but it the best way

Latest posts

Back