Comments regarding chip it, chips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Davonavara

ChipIt replaced the banjo bolt from the end of the fuel rail. This needed to stop the ECU tripping into limp mode over fuel pressure variations when you run a wild tune setting.

You'll have no problems directly related to the chip. But just keep an eye on EGTs. D40's run hot EGTs from the factory and adding a chip can increase temps. Consider fitting an EGT gauge and free flow exhaust after the factory dump pipe.

Boss

Do you have the EGT sensor fitting as well as the chip?

Boss

Do you have the EGT sensor fitting as well as the chip?

I sure do...

Here's the custom dump pipe with EGT probe:

Probe.jpg

and here's EGT gauge

Gauge.jpg

BH

I sure do...

Here's the custom dump pipe with EGT probe:

Probe.jpg

and here's EGT gauge

Gauge.jpg

BH

Why do you need one? There are reports around it's because the Chip-It chip raises EGT's to levels that could damage your engine. Is this correct? Do you recommend getting one and if so, did you install it yourself?

I have the same set up as you minus the custom dump pipe and still have that bloody DPF installed.

Does a scangauge measure EGT's?

Q - Why do you need one?

A - read this especially the comment at the bottom in italic re D40s. It scared me!!

Q - There are reports around it's because the Chip-It chip raises EGT's to levels that could damage your engine. Is this correct?

A- All chips (i.e. not just ChipIt) can raise EGTs. They can also reduce the temp too. If you run a hot tune then you are putting more diesel in. The greater combustion creates more power and more heat.

By adding the Chip It EGT gauge I have two levels of added safety built in. 1. I can readily view the temp at a glance and 2. It is wired into the Chip It chip and by setting an alarm the gauge will turn off the chip at a temperature that you can set.

Q - Do you recommend getting one and if so, did you install it yourself?

A - Yes is provides added insurance and Yes. I tapped a thread into the dump pipe and then braised the probe nut in place so that it could not undo. I then threaded the wire through the firewall and as you can see I cut a square hole into the auto selector surround. The gauge fits just perfectly in there (you'll see what I mean when you lift the surround out and look underneath).

I then needed power that was linked through the ignition so than when the car was turned off the gauge turned off. So I tapped the power wire up into the main loom that fed radio/CD etc. Getting to it is easy just remove the facia and radio etc and the loom is right there.

Q - Does a scangauge measure EGT's?

A- bugger if I know. However if you have an iPhone then DashCommand does or if you have a Windows phone or Android phone then Torque will measure it.

See this post re OBD-II software for phones or ask Old.Tony as he is the IT man and can talk software better than I can. :pcguru:

If you want more install info let me know.

BH

Q - Why do you need one?

A - read this especially the comment at the bottom in italic re D40s. It scared me!!

Q - There are reports around it's because the Chip-It chip raises EGT's to levels that could damage your engine. Is this correct?

A- All chips (i.e. not just ChipIt) can raise EGTs. They can also reduce the temp too. If you run a hot tune then you are putting more diesel in. The greater combustion creates more power and more heat.

By adding the Chip It EGT gauge I have two levels of added safety built in. 1. I can readily view the temp at a glance and 2. It is wired into the Chip It chip and by setting an alarm the gauge will turn off the chip at a temperature that you can set.

Q - Do you recommend getting one and if so, did you install it yourself?

A - Yes is provides added insurance and Yes. I tapped a thread into the dump pipe and then braised the probe nut in place so that it could not undo. I then threaded the wire through the firewall and as you can see I cut a square hole into the auto selector surround. The gauge fits just perfectly in there (you'll see what I mean when you lift the surround out and look underneath).

I then needed power that was linked through the ignition so than when the car was turned off the gauge turned off. So I tapped the power wire up into the main loom that fed radio/CD etc. Getting to it is easy just remove the facia and radio etc and the loom is right there.

Q - Does a scangauge measure EGT's?

A- bugger if I know. However if you have an iPhone then DashCommand does or if you have a Windows phone or Android phone then Torque will measure it.

See this post re OBD-II software for phones or ask Old.Tony as he is the IT man and can talk software better than I can. :pcguru:

If you want more install info let me know.

BH

Essentially, i'm after something that's going to help me pull a 1.7T camper up and down the hills thru the Kimberly's. When i'm not towing i'll be using a conservative setting concentrating on economy. I'm not looking at putting this thing down the 1/4 mile.

Once the warranty is up (another 10K) the PDF comes out and i'll think about a new exhaust, inc a new dump pipe.

Will the CHip-It be suitable?

What do you intend on doing with the console if you ever chose to sell the car. Oh, and another thing. Are these chips transferable? I'll more than likely move to a Pootrol when the family grows up a bit and wouldn't mind taking the chip with me.

Me ears wuz burnin' an' I had ter git in 'ere an' take a look-see.

I've tried getting the EGT out of Ian Hawkins' Torque application (it's an application for Android-based devices, buy it from the Android shop). It doesn't seem to be available and I don't know the ECU's "PID" for the EGT - that's assuming that this value IS available.

Some of the data relayed by the ECU is not correct. My ECU is reporting average fuel consumption figures of 6.6LPHK which is about half of what I would expect it to be. Yes, with the instantaneous and average graphic available I am much more conscious of how hard I am hitting the gas, but getting an average of 15KPL (km per litre) is not right. I should be getting about 8KPL (12.5LPHK).

I've never seen it boost over 18.8psi either, but that might change this weekend as we head into some mountainous terrain - we're hooking up the van and taking off again, this time for a very quiet time away to celebrate 24 years of marriage.

I don't know if the ECU is being conservative or its sensors are lying to it. I hope it's not the latter, because I would have thought the accuracy of these would be essential to the proper operation of the vehicle.

Essentially, i'm after something that's going to help me pull a 1.7T camper up and down the hills thru the Kimberly's. When i'm not towing i'll be using a conservative setting concentrating on economy. I'm not looking at putting this thing down the 1/4 mile.

Once the warranty is up (another 10K) the PDF comes out and i'll think about a new exhaust, inc a new dump pipe.

Will the CHip-It be suitable?

Yes the Chip It chip is ideal. When you speak to Justin in Perth get him to right some tunes specially for use when towing the camper. I'd leave the factory dump pipe right where it is!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you intend on doing with the console if you ever chose to sell the car.

I'll ring Adam from Niss4X4 wreckers and get a replacement console.

Oh, and another thing. Are these chips transferable? I'll more than likely move to a Pootrol when the family grows up a bit and wouldn't mind taking the chip with me.

Yes they are BUT you'd need the Patrol specific tunes loaded of course.

The new chip is great. Heaps more power and torque. I had a bit of a "white smoke" problem this morning though. I have just unplugged the sensor for now untill we can modify the dump pipe by putting on a cat.

OK folks I've read this entire thread ......I think.....and it seems that the Chipit is a good piece of kit. But, I don't wish to go down the chip path just yet (still have 3 +years of warranty). I am, however, thinking I might fit the EGR blanking plate and the DPF delete pipe so would be keen on hearing what I might expect from going down this path. Especially keen to hear from those who have done the DPF delete and the EGR mods but not the chip - and to understand what the effects were in terms of fuel consumption.

Pete I'm like you, warranty still in hand and reluctant to chip the vehicle until that's expired.

I have done the EGR mod and found it improved performance by a barely perceptible amount and improved fuel economy by a small degree. It wasn't outstanding. I haven't done a DPF delete yet and until I can find a way to remove the exhaust-stroke injector open commands from the ECU, I'm reluctant to do that.

As for which chip I'd use, I'm leaning heavily in ChipIt's direction. Robert knows his stuff.

Hi mr chipit,

Do you do a chip/zorst for the STX 550?

If so how are the engine temps?
If not, have you any intention on doing one?

Oh yeah, give me a shout if you need a test car.

Rich

OK folks I've read this entire thread ......I think.....and it seems that the Chipit is a good piece of kit. But, I don't wish to go down the chip path just yet (still have 3 +years of warranty). I am, however, thinking I might fit the EGR blanking plate and the DPF delete pipe so would be keen on hearing what I might expect from going down this path. Especially keen to hear from those who have done the DPF delete and the EGR mods but not the chip - and to understand what the effects were in terms of fuel consumption.

Pete

If you are worried about warranty then the chip is the way to go. Because it is plug and play it can be removed and re-fitted as needs be i.e. prior to service. The DPF isn't as user friendly. Once it's in, it's in. And as soon as some snotty nosed 1st year apprentice at your local Nisan dealer see's it, there will be a notation in your VIN file Nissan holds in some database. EGR is easy and you should do it ASAP.

If i were you i'd go the chip. I spoke to Robert at chip-it on Monday and i'm trying to convinc ethe wife as we speak.

Hi Pete
If you want to keep your warranty, dont do any of the above. I put my exhaust on only to find out this voided my warranty (not that I had long to go anyway). I think at least with the chip you can take it off easily if something does go wrong. The blank plate and delete pipe involves more labour to remove. I cant comment on the advantages or effects on fuel consumption as I did everything at once not staged.
I know the warranty will be void because Nissan sent me their terms and conditions when I went to extend the warranty and they wouldn't let me because I put it on the list of improvement/modifications.

Thanks for the feedback Domainmal ... let us know how it goes with the Cat
Hi Rob
I have asked Dean to have a look and see what he can come up with. I'm thinking if the cat goes on I may lose a bit of power? Not that it bothers me that much. I just want to get rid of the engine light on the dash.

Update on my chip etc - last tank (mix of city/freeway) got 12.0L/100km. Previously wouldve been 13.5 given i've got bigger tyres, roof rack, plus the usual bull bar & lift

Hi JDB

where are you based?

Call me to discuss on 0412 304030

Cheers

Hi mr chipit,

Do you do a chip/zorst for the STX 550?

If so how are the engine temps?
If not, have you any intention on doing one?

Oh yeah, give me a shout if you need a test car.

Rich

Latest posts

Back